User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Friends..Associates.. theyre all the same in this business. Most are just people that you deal with for a while and then you lose contact My true friends are people that i grew up with and knew me then.
Yup!!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

ill help him out...............ill take that rigmaster off his hands forr $500 CASH!!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
ill help him out...............ill take that rigmaster off his hands forr $500 CASH!!!!
He's not that desperate....at least I hope he isnt....he's not a crackhead.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: New Owner Operator Broke and Disgusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by "DD60
How much was he operating on per mile?1.10 to 1.20 is all that most companies seem to be paying these days. That is not enough to operate on whether you are leased or have your own authority. Let's say this guy didn't have a rigmaster power. What if he had a major breakdown or a lot of small ones in 60 days that totaled over 6,000? It can happen.
This guy was running high dollar freight (elevators) with the first company, he could have averaged $1.50+ all miles running loaded oneway if he had stuck it out ( I know because I used to run them). He left that to run arcade machines for some guy who evidently cant bankroll a lease operator, now my "associate" is feeling the financial pain, supposedly the arcade machines pay $1.70+ all miles (I dont know, never ran them).
Old 09-17-2007, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

almost 9 years now & i've watched a lot of drivers make the same no no's. one of the most common is they start off doing well. then they start to buy all kinds of stuff they dont need & cant afford. then when the freight slows or the have repairs, then they find they are going into debt. when i first made over 2 grand in one week & had no bills to pay out of it except fuel, i kept it that way. no new car for me or wife, no big screen t.v. for the house. the list would go on for others. not me. i love living well below my means.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: New Owner Operator Broke and Disgusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by "DD60
How much was he operating on per mile?1.10 to 1.20 is all that most companies seem to be paying these days. That is not enough to operate on whether you are leased or have your own authority. Let's say this guy didn't have a rigmaster power. What if he had a major breakdown or a lot of small ones in 60 days that totaled over 6,000? It can happen.
This guy was running high dollar freight (elevators) with the first company, he could have averaged $1.50+ all miles running loaded oneway if he had stuck it out ( I know because I used to run them). He left that to run arcade machines for some guy who evidently cant bankroll a lease operator, now my "associate" is feeling the financial pain, supposedly the arcade machines pay $1.70+ all miles (I dont know, never ran them).

IF he is running for those rates than I don't see how a 6k rigmaster power

would put him in the bankruptcy level unless the broker or company never paid for hauling those machines.LOAD IT,you have a p.m.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Senior Board Member

:shock: cold but he got hisself in that position. i am a newbie doing a lease purchase. i bought my truck with a carrier apu with an inverter. as l/p my situation is different but still my decisions on how i run my business are mine. if i make bad choices i am the 1 who bites the bullet. i ain't gonna ask my friends or family for help other than advice.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Senior Board Member

LOAD IT, you have a PM
Old 09-21-2007, 03:08 AM
Rookie
Default ??

I was reading through the post and wanted to ask you experianced o/o some questions. I plan on leasing on with a chemical (tanker) company the first of the year

1. What is a good truck to start with money wise. I was approved for 65,000 on a kenworth, but don't want to over do it. I talked to others and have been told to stay above 475 h.p. with at least a 13 speed.

2. how about these trucks out there with 750,000 and more miles with some rebuild/overhaul. Is it better to nurse something that old getting me through the first year. Or go used with some sort of warranty. Like select truck offers on the frieghtliners with det. desiels.

3. what is a magic number on cash to start with. I have about 15,000.00 saved up. which I would use for a down payment. Hopefully as little as possible. Also credit card in the ready with about 7000.00 on it for the business.

Obviously Im a rookie at this, and any advice will be greatly apperiated.

Thanks

Jim
Old 09-21-2007, 03:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If I were you I would take the $15,000 and pay cash for your first truck. You don't need to spend $65,000 to get a good truck. There is no need to start out with big payments if you can start without any debt. I would not be afraid of a truck with miles as long as the maintenance has been performed. Start out with a paid off truck and put money aside with each settlement until you have enough to trade up to something else. You still get the truck you want, but will do so with cash money rather than having debt.

I would not concern myself with brand names, starting out. You can often find a good truck with some miles without breaking the bank. I would check out International, Freightliner and Volvo. You can often get a better value in one of these brands than KW or Peterbilt. You may also want to look at a T600 or T2000 in the KW brand. A 387 Pete will also sell for less than the hoods, but will be a better value with the fuel savings. There are truck auctions in some parts of the country. You should check out the trucks before bidding.