User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Merrick, He means are you still paying the fee to him even though your truck is down, or do you only pay when your running. You know, the $150 a week for keeping you running.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Senior Board Member

You might feel bad but don't bail him out. If he's never been in business before it might take a few @$$ kickins to get him to learn. You don't learn from success you learn from failure. Let him bleed :lol: :wink:
Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Rookie

I guess a little stay a the truck stop would give him time to reflect on the importance of managing money.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
why doesn`t he factor some loads, not only does he get some apparently much needed cash but it also allows him to see how fast certain brokers take to pay.

I believe he is leased to a carrier. If so, he won't be able to factor the money. He will just need to wait for his his carrier to pay him.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
You might feel bad but don't bail him out. If he's never been in business before it might take a few @$$ kickins to get him to learn. You don't learn from success you learn from failure. Let him bleed :lol: :wink:
BLEED AND CRY.....I just dont want to hear the crying and I hate the sight of blood.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Merrick-- you have a great attitude and will go far. This guy seems like a good guy, I just didnt like the comment he made to you about being a rookie. Good business partners are hard to come by. Good Luck.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I'm assuming this guy was really just an acquaintance than a friend. I guess I feel differently than most of you that have posted. I would help a friend in need. Maybe your pissed he didn't sign on with you. I turned down a job working for a friend of mine, never wanted to get into that situation.

I really doubt that he's going to come back and thank you some day. I have a feeling your one less in the hole with friends.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: New Owner Operator Broke and Disgusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
A friend of mine called yesterday and is ready to give up his rig after only 60 days. He is currently out of funds and cant operate.....why? He didnt prepare to become an owner operator financially. Once he got his first settlement he bought a Rigmaster cash, then 2 weeks later he fell out with management where he was leased and took his Hotwheel to another company. The new company is slow to pay and the first company is still holding his final monies for 45 days. This guy is stranded at a truckstop and is totally freaking out, he's pissed with me because I laughed, wont lend him money and said "that's trucking". What I know is that his money will catch up to him and he will not sink, been there got 2 t-shirts. I posted this for those who inspire to be owner operators but want to do it on half of a shoestring or dont have a solid plan and money to operate and live on for a while.

How much was he operating on per mile?1.10 to 1.20 is all that most companies seem to be paying these days. That is not enough to operate on whether you are leased or have your own authority. Let's say this guy didn't have a rigmaster power. What if he had a major breakdown or a lot of small ones in 60 days that totaled over 6,000? It can happen.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks LoadIt, I really appreciate it and I appreciate the insight you offer to this board. Believe it or not, some of the things you have posted in the past has shaped some of the decisions I've made and am planning on making.

Steve, whether LoadIt should have helped this guy is probably just an opinion so there is no right or wrong, but me personally I wouldn't have helped him either. People need to be responsible and not look to others to bail them out. Me and the wife live pretty frugally and so what's the point of sacrificing if others aren't going to do the same and then expect people to help them out?

It's like a squirrel saving his nuts for the winter only for another squirrel who didn't save them now asking for some of them. This guy is a grown man; look at you, you didn't go out and buy a Ringmaster in your first month. You were responsible and planned yourself accordingly and now can enjoy the fruits of your labor. Of course just my opinion though.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I'm assuming this guy was really just an acquaintance than a friend. I guess I feel differently than most of you that have posted. I would help a friend in need. Maybe your pissed he didn't sign on with you. I turned down a job working for a friend of mine, never wanted to get into that situation.

I really doubt that he's going to come back and thank you some day. I have a feeling your one less in the hole with friends.
Friends..Associates.. theyre all the same in this business. Most are just people that you deal with for a while and then you lose contact My true friends are people that i grew up with and knew me then.

I'm not pissed that he didnt lease to me. I dont run Prima Donnas.. I run real men and women who are professional business people who drive trucks. Maybe i'll take that truck off his hands for a good price, or maybe I'll buy that Rigmaster for about 1/2 what he paid for it.