User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Seriously, I think I learned a lot more then having some dip stick dispatcher jerking me around. They are not going to teach you anything other then hounding you to get your azz in gear and pick up that load.

I did my own thing in my own time at my pace. I didn't go where I didn't want to and I delivered on my terms instead of being forced to drive my tail off for 11 hours a day 7 days a week.
And which dispatchers made you do this?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

The money I saved made all the difference in the world. I can't imagine anyone taking on a task like this without the funds to get going.

....Which dispatchers made me do this...NONE....I've had brokers who thought they were dispatchers. No, I don't have experience with dispatchers but only from what I read. For those of you who haven't figured it out, I don't like being told what to do.

What I really want to say, I can't.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I never drove for anyone else. I had a desk job that I gave up. I hired a personal driving instructor, got my license, got my authority, bought a truck and trailer and headed out on the road last November.
i admire the motivation, drive and determination it takes to do that steve, in all seriousness

my hats off to you, God Bless
Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Steve could you send me a PM? I tried to send you one but won't let me till I get 50 posts
Old 09-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raafi
Steve

am i reading you correctly? you got a cdl and went straight for owner operator?
To be correct. Steve is not an Owner/Operator. He is not leased into a Motor carrier.

Steve has his own Authority. Steve IS a Motor Carrier..small...yet effective.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I started in the business when I was 21, went to a school for 5 weeks(a VERY good school IMO). I went into it thinking all the school was about was getting my class 1(class 8 in canada) and air brake. They didn't teach much beyond that. My company required I go to that specific school.

After that, I went with my dad for 3 months. I learned a lot, although we were on a dedicated route (winnipeg to minneapolis) so I never really learned how to read maps, map things out, etc..

After 3 months were up, I bought my own truck 5 months short of my 22nd birthday. Started as an o/o.

I work for a company where there is no forced dispatch, that's what my dad wanted. He also preferred I drive for myself.

He helped me a ton, especially on mechanical issues. It's been a little over 4 years now, and I would not have done it any other way!

Truck will be paid off in a couple months, truck is reliable and gets fantastic fuel mileage(usually 8-8.5 MPG). After it's paid off, my "net" income per mile will be in the 95 to 100 CPM range. No company driver can even compare to that.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Starting out as a carrier with your own authority is very expensive, not just in the equipment costs, but the learning curve. You will make a lot of mistakes when you start out. We all do. It is next to impossible to lease to a carrier without experience. Most will require 1-2 years of otr driving experience before they will give you a contract. If you want to start out with your own authority, prepare to drop some serious money. There is much to learn.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I never drove for anyone else. I had a desk job that I gave up. I hired a personal driving instructor, got my license, got my authority, bought a truck and trailer and headed out on the road last November.
Steve, I know that is impossible because you cannot do rocket science stuff so flippantly.
Do you give up secret info like how much you paid for your truck and trailer. Add to that only the mega stuff, if any, that you had to have done to your truck before you hit the road and/or during the first 8 weeks. Did you say somewhere that you thought a hundred grand is about what you needed to start your business? If you did, how about a rough break down of your start-up expenses. A hundred grand has the potential of being interpreted as a luxurious start.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Board Regular

I started my business as an owner operator in the fall of 2005. I put myself thru CDL school at the local college, bought a truck, trailer, accessories; got my Motor Carrier Authority and began hauling in a small circle that was mandated by my insurance company (300 mile radius). I about starved the first year and am not rolling in cash this year, either; but, I am getting by. I am now licensed in all 48 states, and usually run West of the Mississippi and normally just the Pacific NW.

I never worked for anyone, mostly because I made a dumb mistake which cost me a twenty year career, a $60,000 per year government job and which also precluded me from working for a trucking company; no one would hire me. By some fluke, I was able to get my business started, get insurance with a restriction, and I started running the roads. I knew how to secure loads ( I run flatbed) but didn't know how to drive and spent a year just learning how to shift my truck. :?

I have learned many things the hard way. I would not advocate to anyone doing what I did. I didn't have $100k in the bank, either. I was in debt when I started trucking, and am further in debt now, but I am paying it back, every month. I work, I get paid, and I pay my bills. I have good credit or this business never would have gotten off the ground. I did this out of necessity, because I wanted to truck and no one would hire me, not because it was the best way to do it.

If you are a young person (or older, for that matter) and want to be an owner operator, and you can first get into CDL school or work for a trainer trucking company, then DO IT. Get out there and do a year or more for someone else. Save your money, get 2 years experience, THEN become and owner operator if you still desire.

A person CAN become and o/o with no experience, and right out of school. Steve Booth is doing it, and so am I, and no doubt a few others on this forum. Living proof. But it is not for everyone. Most guys will try and fail at this, for a variety of reasons. It is hard work. It is lonely. There is no one to call when your truck breaks down, or you blow a tire, or you are stuck without a load for a few days. It's all on you. It ain't romantic.

Not to mention, just the lack of shit that you need to know, that, well, you won't know. If you can go work for someone for a year, you will know a heck of a lot more of the kind of things you need to know to run your own business than if you have to learn it all as you go. I worked hard in preparation to try to make my business work, and I asked everyone I could glean information from. I could not have done it without the help from this forum, guys like Gman and many others helped me immensely. My dispatcher (who I use part of the time to find my loads) also was very helpful, as was my insurance agent, and the list goes on... the lady who does my fuel reports and who also helped me get my authority... etc etc.

You need to have some smarts, some money (or great credit), good business head, good people skills, good organizational skills, computer skills, safe driving talent, and TRUE GRIT. Since most young'uns wouldn't relate to that statement, let's just say, you need iron will, firm resolve, the ability to face many, many frustrations and setbacks with calm determination, and, you need God's help. Just my .02 cents. :roll:

Now you know what I know. Good luck. 8)
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena;
whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood;
who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
who knows the great enthusiasms,
the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course;
who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly;
so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls
who know neither victory or defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-05-2007, 06:16 AM

LOL....My secret info...ha ha ha

My truck I paid $35,000 and $17,000 for the trailer. I spent another $10,000 or so on the inside. New steering wheel, CB, killer stereo, mattress, TV, DVD, inverter, sheets and so on. I had lots of little things fixed on the truck itself like new hoes, belts, 5th wheel, door seals, lettering, windshield and the list goes on and on.

I was very lucky that I had the money to do everything I wanted to before heading out on the road. I also had a good paying full time job while I got my truck the way I wanted it. It took me a few months before I was able to quit my job and do the trucking full time.

I spent the rest of my money pretty quick on fuel and other things before the checks started coming in. I went back into the last of my savings for about $20,000 more to keep going. You still have to pay for your personal bills, insurance and everything else.

Looking back, I probably could have got away with just the truck and trailer and hit the road. I lucked out with the truck I bought and it's been pretty good.

I can't give anyone advise on how to start out. I had the cash to get myself going and in my case, that was the key. Even if you finance your truck and trailer your still going to need some serious cash to keep yourself going until the checks start coming in. I'm guessing at least $30,000.