User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 01:31 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Where would you purchase your new or used truck?

I was talking to someone tonight and was telling him my experiences with SelectTrucks. I purchased a 1998 Century Class in 2002 that had 420,000 dash board miles on it. I never saw the hub. 1 week later on my way between Amarillo, TX and McAllen, TX the auto-trans went out and it was NOT covered under the famous 1 year 100000 mile warranty. I've had many other issues since. Blown motor, blown turbo etc. My question is, If you were going to purchase a new or used truck, where would it be? Would you go to SelectTrucks? Would you go to Freightliner? Or do you have experience with a certain lot? Thank you for your input?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

I couldnt get a good deal from Select, but just my experience, maybe they will treat you better?
I bought mine at auction....traveled all the way from Cailf to your neck of the woods.......coastal auctions at Charleston SC
Many say i took a hell of a risk,, n even though i have mechanic experience i cant disagree much.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Rookie

how much did you pay? and what kind of truck what is your total investment
Old 08-28-2007, 02:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would NEVER buy a truck from Select Trucks. I have spoken with very few who were happy with the deal that they got from them. I don't have a particular dealer with whom I would do business. I just don't get in a hurry and look at trucks until I find something that I like and can get a good deal. If you have the cash you can sometimes get a good deal from one of the many auctions held around the U.S. I have known some owners who have done very well at the auctions. You will either need to have some knowledge about the mechanics of a truck so that you can check it out, or hire a mechanic to do it for you. Regardless of where you buy a truck, it doesn't pay to get in a hurry. You will usually make a bad decision or get taken if you get in a hurry.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

hmmm let me do just the truck

I reasearched for a month, going around to dealers in the southern Cal area.
I made a lot of posts here and got input from many here, banditscuz, Rev, Steve, Gman, etc
I usually offered all dealers 8k or so less then their asking price, forgot who said it here, but someone advised me all dealers mark up at least 10k.
I paid 19.5 K for a 2001 century, 700,000 miles, and my best move was I didnt have to pay state tax, Ca said we dont require it cuz out of state and SC said no we dont require cuz your not a SC resident which helped on feul when I had to drive it home to CA D/H and wait for my authority to be in place.
Liked many freight liners from select, but they wouldnt give me any warrenty cuz the year I was looking they said was too old :-p so I fiqured they were useless.
WEll was negotiating once on a 2003 columban, they said much to my joy they would give a warenty, they wanted 43,000 tho....and laughed at my 36,000 cash offer....so that X'ed trhe deal.
I loved the really clean 2003 Pete they sold that day, but at 37k it went for, I fiqured I could pay less and save the extra $ for operating expenses.
I was hopping to get that Pete for 32K.....but was way out of my leaque bidding against experienced use truck dealerss and I was the only actual driver there as I asked around and felt like a sheep amoung wolves.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Most dealers selling used trucks are getting them at auctions or taking them in trade. If you have cash I would go to auction and out bid them. They have to buy it and resell it. You don't. With the money you save you can make repairs.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:39 AM
Rookie

GMAN, you are absolutely right!! I was in a hurry. I had the money and did not do a whole lot of research at all, and I was "excited" to become an o/o. the excitement and hurry cost me. and to this day I am playing catch up. However, I have learned more from the experience, both financially and mechanically, than I would ever have, had I done everything right and things went smoothly. It's made me a better person, a broke better person!!!! LOL
Old 08-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member

He-he now I remember....it wa s Big who told me they mark it up 10k.....you should seen the look on their face when I offered them 8k less....n said Big told me you marked it up 10K! lol
Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
He-he now I remember....it wa s Big who told me they mark it up 10k.....you should seen the look on their face when I offered them 8k less....n said Big told me you marked it up 10K! lol
I'll never forget Todd @ Charlotte SelectTrucks. I asked him " How in the world can you sell me that same exact truck over there for 52,000 and this one (the one I bought) for 32,000, when the one that's 32000 has LESS miles on it?!!!!" His response, "Son, those are PROGRAM trucks and that's the cost you pay to become an owner operator!" "You are pre-approved for the program truck but we can not get you financing anywhere else for anything else" I'll never ever forget that. I paid cash for the 32,000 truck in the end.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Carolina,

I talked to a guy at Select in Charlotte on day when I was bored and he said the same exact thing.

Pepe,

Glad you remembered. Don't forget the Lingerie show on Wednesday night at the Chino airport. :lol: