User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
I was a member of the DRIVERS advisory board at one company and when I started there we had very heavy trucks and they sucked if you were a driver and our turnover was skyhigh. The boss came to us and asked us to see what we could do to improve the trucks from a drivers point of view. We had to keep the cost of each trucks improvements under 4K total. 1st we added 10 alloy wheels saving 500 lbs then removed the side skirts saved us another 200 lbs then added real fridge and a microwave to all the trucks added 80 but we will still ahead. Then we changed the springs to compsites on the front end saved 180 lbs there we then lowered full capcity since we didnot use all we had anyway by 20 gallons total tank weight was 100 lbs fuel weight was 150 lbs. then we used an alloy driveshaft and hubs for the rest. In the cab we installed top of the line seats with massage and thick like 8 inch thick mattress for the drivers in the bnks costs were at 3K total per truck. We also increased HP from 400 to 470 without having to beefup at all the drivelines.
Good for you. What's your point? Are you looking for a gold star or something?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Board Regular

Any computer controlled engine can be configured this way. On my CAT the fan is programed to come on with the highest jake setting. It is just another tool to help with controlling the truck, no extra stress on the belt as the belt is already designed to operate the fan anyway. Adding the fan is worth about half a gear on my truck, no idea the horsepower draw but using the fan saves me splitting down when i need the extra slowing power.

I too learned to drive without a jake. In my post the order was, Gear down, use jake, use fan (if available not all trucks have a switchable fan either) Steve also said in his post that the fan was simply added slowing power he too had gearing down and jakes first.

That brings me to my first comment. Reading many of your old exchanges with Steve I think many people here would agree you pretty much despise him and all he does and will jump at any opportunity to take a shot at him. I guess it's ok but you shouldn't try to turn what he says around. It is in writing right above your reply, he didn't say you should try to use the fan then gear down if that doesn't work. He simply said the fan can be another tool to help control the truck and he was right about that.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle
That brings me to my first comment. Reading many of your old exchanges with Steve I think many people here would agree you pretty much despise him and all he does and will jump at any opportunity to take a shot at him.
You're putting too much thought into it. I don't despise him. In fact, I don't really put much thought into him. If anyone would have said what he did, I would have taken issue with it.

Quote:
I guess it's ok but you shouldn't try to turn what he says around. It is in writing right above your reply, he didn't say you should try to use the fan then gear down if that doesn't work. He simply said the fan can be another tool to help control the truck and he was right about that.
Actually, what he said was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Booth
Another trick is to turn the engine fan on when the Jake or lower gear isn't quit enough.
My issue is that if you are taking a hill properly, the jake, the lower gear, and the proper use of brakes to maintain that speed is plenty. No playing with the fan switch needed.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I drag my feet too!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Don't make me go get Rodney King out of retirement,...chain his a$$ to my flatbed and drag him for brakes,.........now where did that corner girl go?????
Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
Don't make me go get Rodney King out of retirement,...chain his a$$ to my flatbed and drag him for brakes,.........now where did that corner girl go?????
LOL thats what i like to hear
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I drag my feet too!
I was waiting for someone to say that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-05-2007, 08:12 PM

Rev because of those changes the drivers group and mangement made at that one company the drivers ended up getting a 6 cpm across the board raise you do the math. I normally got around 3400 miles week end week out with out fail and I had no problem enjoying the extra change in the pocket I got. .06 x 3400 x 49 weeks figureing on takeing 21days off a year I hardly came home it meant roughly 10K more a year for a solo and 16K more for a team.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
Rev because of those changes the drivers group and mangement made at that one company the drivers ended up getting a 6 cpm across the board raise you do the math. I normally got around 3400 miles week end week out with out fail and I had no problem enjoying the extra change in the pocket I got. .06 x 3400 x 49 weeks figureing on takeing 21days off a year I hardly came home it meant roughly 10K more a year for a solo and 16K more for a team.
What does this have to do with using a fan as an engine brake?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:19 PM