User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is the volvo VED 12 engine any good?

Can any body tell me anything about the VED 12 engine? I'm buying a 2000 Volvo VED12 engine 10 speed autoshift with 725,000 seems to be in real good shape for $27,500 also got one year warranty on engine, trans and rear ends.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member

The Volvo D12 has been in service worldwide for a number of years with pretty good results.

The VED12 has a nifty exhaust brake that will help maintain engine temperatures at low idle, meaning you won't have to fast idle the engine to maintain sufficient combustion chamber temperatures.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. Does that seem like a decent price?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:01 AM

Not sure, but I think I read in another post where someone said the VED 12 along with 2 other engines were good for local and short runs. But, didnt think it was good enough to stand up to OTR use. (for what thats worth) I would continue to do what your doing. Ask around and find people who have first hand experience.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Default Re: Is the volvo VED 12 engine any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie at 53
Can any body tell me anything about the VED 12 engine? I'm buying a 2000 Volvo VED12 engine 10 speed autoshift with 725,000 seems to be in real good shape for $27,500 also got one year warranty on engine, trans and rear ends.
I had a VED 12 465HP engine for a little over a year. It was in a Volvo 680 hauling very light freight for Forward Air. I got GREAT fuel mileage, around 7.0 to 7.25 once I had switched drive tires from deep tread to all position radial.

However, the engine has no pulling power. Climbing hills with a heavy load was murder. I had a 40,000 pound load going over Monteagle and had to get all the way down to 7th gear before cresting the top.

Reliability was bad. I bought this engine with 250,000 miles on it. Sold it with 400,000 miles on it. I had TWO injectors go bad. The front cover plate of the engine cracked and failed. TWO EGR valves had to be replaced. Valves got so badly out of adjustment had to have a valve adjustment. Exhaust piping had to be repaird three times as it was falling apart. Had to have turbo work done and it really needed a whole new turbo when I sold it. Engine brake activation valve had to be replaced.

There is no way the good MPG paid for all of these repairs as NO ONE will work on a Volvo engine excpet the dealers, and they charge $100 per hour and parts are like gold.

Volvo dealer mechanics repeatedly told me my engine performance was typical and they would personally never buy a truck with a Volvo engine!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Yikes!!! :shock: But, that is a direct answer (never had one myself)
Old 03-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I considered buying a Volvo with a Volvo engine several years ago. The main reason I decided against it was the parts availability and that I would need to find a Volvo dealer who could work on it. The same could be said for any of the manufacturers who use their own engines. If you want to get a Volvo, I would try to find one with a Cummins or other type of engine. Most seem to have the Cummins engine. While I personally prefer CAT, Cummins and Detroit both make a good engine. Other than those three brands, I would not want to buy anything else. Since Paul has had experience with this engine, I would listen to him.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:12 PM

There was one at a shop I go to that was in for an oil change. I'm not sure of the engine size but it was green in a Volvo truck.

They ended up having to replace the oil pan as it was made of plastic and the metal flange that the drain plug screwed into spun in the pan and wouldn't seal up.
The new pan was still plastic but updated at the drain plug.
I wonder what that oil change cost ?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I have a 99 volvo with the volvo engine, and it did require a rebuild. I should've had the engine dynoed before I bought the truck. I'm sure it was in bad shape when I bought it. It blew 6 months after I bought it.

3 years later, not a single damn problem since. No injectors, anything.

I average low-mid 7's for fuel mileage.

The other driver is right about the pulling power however, these things are gutless. I have a 425, and "other" makes 400-425 engines will blow mine away. Hell a 410 m11 felt like it had more power.

As far as buying a volvo with a different brand, cummins and volvo are the only engines you can get for about 7 years now.

Right now, it's either ISX, D12, or the D16.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:51 PM

I own a 2004 Volvo with the Volvo D12 engine. I have @565K and no problems as of yet. The engine does not have the pulling power of a cat or whatever but I knew this when I bought it. It does however get excellent fuel mileage and the motor is not quite as hard to work on as people think. My buddy has a Volvo and the dealer told him that the volvo motor gets better fuel mileage then the cummins and a service writer told him the Volvo motor in many aspects is cheaper and easier to work on then the cummins. The truck does struggle at times with a heavy load but after driving it for a while as with any truck you learn to compensate for that hill pulling power by gaining speed at the bottom of the hill or selecting a lower gear at the bottom. Overalll it is a good motor just as good if not better then any other as they all have shortcomings whether it be power or noise reliability or fuel consumption. I would put it up against any motor any day.