User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Authority- URGENT responses needed plz

One fellow who fixes tires seemed to think I could at east haul an empty back home for a rate.......(he had very questionable buiz practices) Now if anyone knows my situation I have no Federal numbers or permits yet, just bought my truck and have all insurance needed for contract authority. He seemed to think I could get just temporary one haul permits (even to get around the authority issue which perplexed me ????)......does this sound correct (hmm not to me) cuz the guy really blew a lot of gas and all I did was just nod and be polite,(when in Rome be diplomatic).

I mean I agree with him, I dont want to eat all the empty miles, but I dont want to get in any trouble either and this getting my own authority is quite a new challenge to me.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

There is no such thing as a temporary permit that addresses authority issues. If the trailer isn't registered to you, you'd better have a rental or lease agreement for it, otherwise it's freight.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can get a temporary permit or tag to take the truck home, but you are not allowed to haul freight without motor carrier authority. You will also need a DOT number. Your company name and other information will need to be displayed on the side of the truck. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but you will need to have it on the side of the truck. Just curious. Why would you get contract authority rather than common? There are some hoops you will need to jump through to be legal. It will be in your best interest to wait until you have everything you need before hauling any freight. Besides, any shipper or broker worth their salt will want to have a copy of your motor carrier authority and certificate of insurance before they will allow you to haul anything for them. You still have about $3,000 or so to spend before you can legally start hauling freight, not including the cost of your insurance.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Thks you guys...yeah fiqured this guy was way off but he sounded convinced himself and thought I would run it by you guys.

Hmmm yeah G-man...well I would go common but I have been away from the buiz for so long contract seemed more sensible. (no shipper contacts no naughta anymore :-p )...plz G-man...if you have any advice there on a course of action plz let me know.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Pepe, the Feds no longer make a distinction between contract and common authority. Most carriers set up as common. As I recall, the only reason to have contract is if you haul for a few shippers. I would suggest common, but that is a decision you will need to make. In any case, you will need to have the same limits of cargo and liability to haul for most shippers and brokers. I set mine up as common. I felt it offered more flexibility at the time. I still think it is the best way to go for a new carrier. The cost is the same no matter which way you go. I am surprised they are still offering contract as an option. When are you heading home?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Heading off probably tonight, still have a few things to reslove, the buiz problem I e-mailed you about and plus my wifes spending is outta control LOL...so need to be on the phone for hours with her to reign her in n discuss things.
Yeah as I understood the contract authority was for dealing with brokers, and common authority allowed you to deal with shippers directly (didnt think you could do both with one but dunno), this is all new to me cause I only drove company before.
Ohhh yeah...wana stop by the TSA in Greensville here for oil change and PM
Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

With common authority you can deal with shippers or brokers. You can go to the Federal website and see which might be better for you.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Senior Board Member

The difference, as I understand it, is that a holder of common authority may haul freight from the general public without a contract governing the transaction. Under contract authority there must be a contract in place. Since any broker or shipper transaction would presumably be done under contract, it doesn't really matter which you choose. I have seen a couple of articles saying that the new Uniform Registration System will do away with the split.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Thks all for responses, yeah I am rethinking my best move from here duno, got a wifi at the Pilot in Knoxville. Hmmm there, one driver showed me there are all kinds of flyers here at the stops explaining how to get authority.....hmmm might buy a trailer in Okie City and then start running....dunno.
Its either that or Ill puss out n lease on to a company at Okie City......kinda of the mind to not head all the way back to California but dunno, just kicking back now contemplating my next move.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you are in Knoxville, you may want to go by K & L Truck and Trailer. They have a large selection of trailers on the lot most of the time. They are off of Rutledge Pike, I believe.