User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i`ve said it once and i`ll say it again, if you find a truck you like and the dealer won`t pay for the dyno or oil analysis from a third party tester but is willing to knock thousands off the asking price its time to walk away.

no reason for the prospective buyer to pay for these services.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:00 AM

RostyC
I bought my truck from International UTC in kansas city, MO and they were the most professional dealer I've ever dealt with. They had quite a few ex-walmart and heartland trucks instock with miles around 6-700.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks brian, I'll definitely ask if they will pay for it and see what their reaction is.

TW, Kansas is too far for me to look at trucks unfortunately, I've been looking at the Five Star International dealers in PA. There's five of them in PA, three of which are close enough to drive to and if I see a truck I like from the other two lots that are upstate they'll bring it down for me to look over.

Have you had a good experience with the truck you bought? Was it an ex-walmart or Heartland truck?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Senior Board Member

i just hit 1 mil miles on my 11.1 detroit 3/06 07 still going. i have no idea whats holding it together. lol. it is in a 95 intl. original motor. never any work done. original trans,rears,e.t.c. still has original clutch too. if ya can believe it. as far as losing water.. check to see if it is coming out of overflow hose. it may not come out while idleing, but come out when moving & you wont ever see it. if thats the case. it is most likely a head gasket. cost est 2,000 second guess would be a hole in the piston liner.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think it is probably a head gasket. CAT wants $3,500 to fix it, providing that is all that is wrong with it. I spoke with another mechanic who said he could probably make the repairs for about $2,000-2,500. The problem with working on these engines is that you never know what you may get into when you take the head off. You may expect to spend $2,000 and end up spending $8,000 before it is over. :shock:
Old 03-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Senior Board Member

from my own experience. i would say a detroit kicks a-- on fuel mileage compared to cat. i do fuel mi calculations on every fill up. just yesterday i got 7.2 mpg thru montgomery al. loaded. if i'm running north area g.r. mi i get 7.8 now i am honest. that is not running wide open. but i have over 1 mil mi's on a 11.1 det. and that fuel mi is great. now if i'm on hills & i have a headwind & or a high load(have flatbed) then the mileage will drop to 5.7-6.5 the difference in fuel cost wil just about make a truck pymnt.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Woaaa they are expensive trucks, say guys forgive my ignorance here, but does their superior quality really justify that price? Just wondering since I am in the mood to buy?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

o.k. just my opinion. the pete's & cat's or great products but overated. when i load near home with other drivers we will run together. when we get to our destination, we all get paid the same. no matter what we pull up in. let me give you the exact reasons why i got the truck i bought. i bought an ole cabover-walmart truck. in 99. it is a 95 model. it looked great & was well taken care of. i didnt know if if things would work out for me being new to the trucking industry. so i figured...if it did not work out, i would not have to work that long or hard to get my money back & then go on to something else. every single driver that i came in contact with asked why did i not buy a hood. pete, k.w. e.t.c. the cabover was 1/2 the price of the other trucks, same year, same miles & the hoods cost 50% more... i paid 15,250 total bottom line cash in 99. i am still driving truck every day. just hit 1 mil miles 2 days ago. still original engine, nothing replaced. nothing. still original clutch, trans e.t.c. now for the good part. since i have made excellent money every year & no pymt on truck or trailer i had to do something with the money or pay high taxes. so every year i bought a lil fixer upper rental property. to date i own 7 houses & 1 mobile home. 4 are totally paid for & the rest are less than 3 years left on mortgage. i usually put 8-10 grand down & finance for 3-7 years. soooo.. that is what the trucking business has done for me. most drivers like all the fancy chrome & the rest. but remember the thrill of driving a fancy truck wears off long before the payments do.. now please dont anyone take offense if you drive a nice truck. i just think.. maybe if your on your second or third truck then by all means go all out. by then you should know all you need to know if you want & can afford an expensive truck.. good luck to all..
Old 03-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Hmmm I wouldnt get the cab-over, unless I got a real fantastic buy, I always think economics, and feul at 3.00 a gallon (and middle-east oil being as predictable as a tornado) where I live I gotta have a streamlined aerodynamic truck, those box trucks look pretty, but the bottom-line is all I care about.
Howeever, if I could save the big $ in price for the box or cab-over on a better deal I'd bite.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

did you read the mileage i am getting on my cabover? it would be hard to get that with a conventional truck. i thought the same thing when i bought it. just like a brick wall going down the road right ? but keep this in mind... my truck is thousands of lbs lighter than some other decked out trucks, that lighter weight has an affect on fuel mileage too. also. because i am lighter i can haul more weight wich pays more. i can haul 50,000 lbs leagal. wich would pay me on some loads 100 to a few hundred more than say a guy who can only haul 42,000 because of his weight. now for the most important part to me. there have been times when freight was slow & a few of us were up north wanting to get a load home south. 700 mi to home. when all the mills had was a load weighing 48-49000 lbs guess who got to go home first / u got it. me.. this has happened more times than i can count. and sometimes there were no other trucks with me. just me. but still in all. if i could not haul the weight i may have had to wait longer, maybe overnight or take load going someplace i dont want to go. beleive me aerodynamics helps, but the perfect aerodynamic truck may not get good fuel mieage unless everything else is in order- proper tire inflation-proper injector performance- clean air filter-speed & so much more.