User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default inexperienced driver insurance

howdy fellas~!

does anyone know if there is any insurance aout there that will insure a 21 year old. i called a couple and they all said you need at leasst 2 years of over the road experience. well how am i suppose to get experienced if no one will insure me. can i insure the truck trailer on another friver and drive like that alone. is that legal ? i kmnow if i get in a wreck it wont be covered but need to know if i get pulled over in a wweight station if they could say anything.

thanks in advance
be safe
Old 01-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Board Member

How do you get experience? You go work for somebody :roll: And no, your other scheme is not legal and it would be discovered if they do a paperwork inspection.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Board Member

What state are you in? If your state requires insurance then they will have a plan called assigned risk. It's a program where the state assigns a policy for you. At least they have these plans in my state. Insurance companies have to agree to it in order to do business in my state.

Check your state. Plan on $5000-10,000.

It's kind of like the flood insurance program.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Board Member

$5000-$10000 in CA for a new authority with no driving experience? I'd like to know where you got that quote. I had a friend who did the same thing last year, ran him closer to $18-20000. I just got a quote yesterday for a new authority with 10 years of driving experience...$9500. I have to talk to your agent.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Rookie

i could go work for someone but who will insure me. what about to co drive with someone anyone know anything about it. the thing the i dont understand is i can get a cdl but how to use it. im not trying to scam anybody just to get to work. thanks again
Old 01-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Progressive will insure inexperienced drivers. I don't know if they have an age restriction, but you can count on a 300 mile travel limitation with them until you get a year of experience behind you. Some insurance companies require a driver to be at least 23 years old.

No_worries, you may want to check around. If you have at least 2 years of driving experience and a clean MVR Northland gave me the best rates. We are currently looking to renew our policy. It expires next month. I should have a rate next week. I use a broker and they are shopping around for the best rates. Northland, Great West, Canal are some insurance companies you could check with. I think Canal is a bit high. I spoke with my insurance person today and was told that some insurance companies are beginning to lighten up on their rates. I certainly hope so, they have been rather high for some time. I pay less than $5,000 per truck and I feel that is high. Hopefully, I will get a reduced rate since I haven't had any claims.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:24 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Canal will insure anyone but for what price..

My million dollar policy is 318 per month on a new truck, i think progressive woold be a good choice, my Allstate agent reccomends them every time i ask about good rates..
Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When I spoke to my insurance broker, they told me that they got one quote back but it was high. I believe it was from Canal.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Gman. I've got my broker working on my quotes right now. He works with several companies including Northland, who he's pretty high on. I'll be checking with Great West direct as they handled the insurance for the company we leased to last year and I've got a relationship with them. Just got my quote from OOIDA today, liability and cargo are approximately $8000. The quote I mentioned earlier of $9500 includes physical damage on $100,000 of equipment. I guess I should have mentioned that.

The issue is that we'll be a new carrier, just getting our authority in the next month or two. While I've got several years of driving experience and a few as an O/O, we've never had our own authority. I've been told by numerous sources that, no matter what your experience, those first two years having your own authority you pay a premium for insurance. I would be interested in knowing who you get your best quote from. I'd be happy to share my results as well although I'm still a month away from getting anything other than approximations.

FYI, Progressive has excellent rates on PD. Mine worked out to 1.7% of the insured value. It doesn't include some of the extras like towing and glass coverage. It's purely collision and comprehensive, but if you're looking for straight coverage I haven't seen anyone else even close to those rates.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:06 AM
Rookie

I've always gotten GREAT rates from northland.