User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

2005 9400i was my beast of burden.

Gman, I was trying to say I lost revenue as a result of motor down time. All repairs and towing was covered under my warranty. But after 64000 miles and the 3rd motor it was time for me to cut and run!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 AM
Board Regular

All the New trucks now days have issues with them. And yes......even the Pete's and Kenworth's! My dad has an 06' freighliner coronado, and it has had all kinds of issues, but thankfull the engine is not one of them. Most of the problems with his are small, but they piss you off when you have to fix a brand new truck.

A friend of mine had a brand new 9400 and the hood spring had broken on it like two weeks after he bought it!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw
2005 9400i was my beast of burden.

Gman, I was trying to say I lost revenue as a result of motor down time. All repairs and towing was covered under my warranty. But after 64000 miles and the 3rd motor it was time for me to cut and run!

I am sorry that I misunderstood you, marylandkw. I agree that any time you need to be down and not working that it can cost a lot of money in revenue. I find it amazing that you would have needed 3 engines during the first 64,000 miles. I think it was an engine problem rather than being brand specific to the truck. You make a good point, however. When your truck is in the shop, even if it is under warranty, you still lose money.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
When your truck is in the shop, even if it is under warranty, you still lose money.
This is something alot of new business owners do not realize when doing the "numbers" on a new business. My 2 week old truck is in the shop for a week as of last night just fixing new truck bugs. It is not just get a truck and make money. And a used truck can be just as bad if not worse with a lack of warranty.

These things are big complicated machines and will always have kinks to work out, new or used. I budgeted for half revenue for the first 2 months of my new truck. How do guys think they can start a trucking company with no reserves?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

They can start a business, but unfortunately some will bite the bullet. Some may get lucky and get the funds rolling in before something serious happens where they need to be shut down for a while. Those who are not so lucky and don't have the reserves will not be able to weather the difficult times. That is why I suggest those wanting to enter this business to start with a good used truck that has a low payment and cash in the bank. Being successful in business means preparing for the worst scenario. There is an old saying, "Expect the best, prepare for the worst."
Old 01-13-2007, 03:17 AM
Senior Board Member

I drove a 9900ix a couple times and i really really liked the truck for a OTR truck i like 9900ix alot. Very nice and big cab.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The 9900ix is a nice truck, but you can run into a problem on fuel mileage as you do with the 379 or W900. That flat hood catches a lot of wind. But if you want to have a hood, the 9900 is certainly an option and can be purchased for less than the 379 or W900. You can also have a sleeper with more usable room.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Senior Board Member

International is mainly what I'm looking at to get started with, seems you can get a good deal on them versus the other brands with similar features and wear on them. I'm going to ride up to Five Star International today to look at one and talk with them.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have always gotten good service out of International. I have been thinking about selling one of my trucks. I haven't yet made a decision. If I were to sell one of them I am not sure which to sell. I still have a fondness for the International. I have replaced both rears and kingpins in the last year or two. I probably have at least a couple of years before having to rebuild the engine, perhaps longer. The KW has a new engine with less than 200,000 and I just spend an additional $6,700, so it should be good for another 800,000 miles before any major engine work. There is always the potential for the rears going out. Of course that is much less expensive than replacing an engine. I will probably just hang on to both of them and have a spare. It is good to have a spare truck in case of an emergency. 8)
Old 01-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

It is nice to have a spare truck actually. I bought a new P/UP in May, more for pleasure but when I had a bunch of work done to my work truck I could still get around without having to borrow my wifes truck. Three days in the shop would have aggravated me before but the extra truck made it go pretty smooth.