User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Don't get caught with your panys down - O/O survival kit

Hey Guys,

I recently had a minor breakdown. My engine temp rose very quickly. I thought I might have a senor problem or something. I pulled over immediately and found some antifreeze on the ground. OH Crap - or something close to that went through my mind. I found that the serpentine belt had broken. That belt runs the water pump among other things. That explained the sudden rise in engine temp. OK, no big deal. I got out my spare belt. I looked at the old one and found that it was not frayed at all. It had broken almost straight across. Hmm, never seen that one before. I immediately started to think about anyone I might have pissed off lately. I then called a Volvo dealer and got a tech on the phone. He informed me that if the belt broke like that, I had a seized up pulley somewhere. I went t out and spun the pulleys. The alternator was the only one that did not spin. Now this was starting to go downhill. I normally carry a spare with me. I had not replaced the spare that I had when I replaced the alternator the last time. Why? Because I was lazy. Now I was on I 40 at the TX, NM border without an alternator. Volvo in Amarillo had one, but they wanted over $500.00 to come out and replace it. I talked the parts guy into bringing me out the alternator for $200.00. I had a spare pulley, but I could not remove the pulley from the old unit because I do not carry an impact wrench with me. I had to tighten up the pulley as tight as I could, then drive to the nearest truck stop and have them tighten the pulley. Long story short - I cost myself about $250.00 because I was lazy.

I went to Volvo the next day and bought the belt, another alternator, a belt tensioner and some other parts. I will never be caught with pants down like that again. For some of the new O/O's out there, you should always carry a spare belt for all your belts. You should also carry and air compressor governor, an alternator with a pulley all ready attached, and a belt tensioner. All of those will leave you stranded on the side of the road if they go out. I do not care if your truck is under warranty or not. The warranty is only as good as the shop you are in. It will not help you on the side of the road. Take the failed part back to your dealer and have him submit it for warranty and you will get your money back for that part. All of the above mentioned parts are very easy to replace yourself. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to do that.

Happy Trucking
Old 01-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Senior Board Member

The pulley can be removed with the belt on it and TIGHT, but as you said, the belt was broken.

I've heard of guys driving several hours with a blown alternator, but not very long without a belt spinning the water pump!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Senior Board Member

we always carry extra belts but didnt think about the alternator....better put one of them in the side box too.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org