User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2nd seat Trainnee

I graduated from Schneiders school in Nov. but it being the week of Thanksgiving I was sent back home before testing for my CDL. While home waiting on an OTR trainner I was released by Schneider due to a change in company policy concerning felony convictions. Whith that and the fact that my license was revoked for a short time in 2005 for allowing my insurance to exspire I can not get any company to pick me up.
So I am wondering if there are any O/O out there who are looking fo a second seat trainnee. I have my permit, and a DOT physical card. Few days of practice, some work on my pretrip, and a truck to test in and I can get my CDL.
Any thoughts on this idea would be welcome.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Board Regular

It would help if you know someone who is an O/O who could take you on the road with them, a family member or a friend, although depending on the drivers insurance company, there might be some insurance companies that won't allow it

But it can be done, this is how I learned to drive on the road, I already had driving experience and I was able to use the truck to test in

I am not sure if your felony conviction will be a problem for other companies, you may have to look into working for a smaller company
Old 01-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Board Regular

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but you may have to go to a truck driving school to get your CDL's. I worked as a recruiter at a Truck Driving School 6 years ago, and we had 50 Trucking Companies that would hire our graduates, but only 3 that would hire people with a felony conviction.

And then it was according to what it was over, for example if it was assault, this was death to getting hired because they figured if a person assaulted someone then they for sure did not want them in a truck.

Another one almost impossible to get hired on with was theft, because most companies figured if a person stole before, then they would steal from them.

I don't remember which 3 companies would hire, but my advice would be to go to a Truck Stop and get the little Truck Driver Books that list all the different companies and then call the toll free number and just ask them.

Most will tell you straight up, but not all.

On Truck Driving Schools, don't just go and sign with anyone because once you sign your name your hooked. Be sure to look over everything, and be cautious about everything.

One last thing, if a Truck Driving School tells you they can for sure get you a job after graduation, ask them with what companies, and then ask for the phone numbers and call them yourself.

If they stumble at the company name or phone number, hang up because they are lying to you.

I use to get quite a few of people who had trouble in the past come to our driving school because I would call the companies that would hire people with problems in the past, and tell them what was going on, and could they hire them.

Then I would call the person back and give them the company name, person, and phone number to call and check out if I was telling the truth.

I know you asked about getting an o/o to let you sit in the 2nd seat, of which I am now a o/o, just short haul with logs.

But just to let you know in case you have to go to a Truck Driving School what to look out for.

If you have any questions about Truck Driving School, I would try to help you, with the exception of which one to go to. That is all according to what you want, kinda like different people like different food.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Rookie

I graduated from Schneiders school but didn't get the chance to take the CDL test because it was the week of Thanksgiving. I have the certificate and all that, and the other day got the $4000 bill for it. A bill for a school I can't use. thanks for your advice I think maybe i just haveto give it some time and let the revocation get some time on it and try again in a year or so.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Board Regular

there is a list of felony policies of trk co.s here somewhere on this site
Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member

That is kind of weird why did they train you then decide not to keep you
Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Board Regular

$4000.00 Is the reason they did it. How many people would like to put out $1000.00, for a $4000.00 return. Most Truck Driving Schools are in it for the money.

That is the reason that you see more and more companies getting into the Training business, and that is because there is a ton of money to be made in it.

The sad part of it is that the people who pay to go to the schools are the ones really getting ripped off. Don't get me wrong not all schools are like this, but I would say 80 to 90% are.

I say this from experience, as I started out as a Driver Trainer, then Recruiter, and then Manager of a Truck Driving School a few years ago. I really enjoyed it, and we had a 95% job placement rate.

I pulled MVR's on every potential new recruit, and if it looked as if they would have trouble getting a job after training, I would tell them before they made the commitment.

We always asked a recruit if they had a felony, and if the answer was yes, then they were told up front of the slim possibility of getting a job.

But the 2 men that owned the company (since then sold and shut down), made not gross but net one year 2 million, and we were not that big. 6 Road Trucks, 4 Range Trucks, 12 10 Trainers plus me.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4string
I graduated from Schneiders school but didn't get the chance to take the CDL test because it was the week of Thanksgiving. I have the certificate and all that, and the other day got the $4000 bill for it. A bill for a school I can't use. thanks for your advice I think maybe i just haveto give it some time and let the revocation get some time on it and try again in a year or so.
okay i am new to this and am going to be working with my uncle but they didnt get you your CDL and i would never pay that bill unless they take you back and get you your CDL, even if you dont end up working for them. $4000 is alot of money for something you might have to go through again and pay another school to do. consult a lawyer if you know one i would say
Old 01-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Senior Board Member

you signed a contract stating you`d work for them for a year in exchange for cdl training, they decided to break the contract after a change in company policy.

you owe them nothing, if this is how your contract is worded tell them you owe them nothing.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:21 AM
Board Regular

get a lawyer and do it soon. sit down with him and be very honest with him and what is going on. i bet money he will guide you in the right direction.