User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Questions for owner/operators...

Hi guys:

This is my first post to this board. I've been mulling over and over about learning to drive, but I have some hesitations. I've ridden with a few drivers in the past, but it got old quickly. We did Chicago to Mississippi a few years ago (my last run), and it was 55mph all the way there. I felt that I could walk faster than the truck was moving.

Recently, I have been thinking about learning to drive or possibly becoming a diesel mechanic. Mostly more about becoming a diesel mechanic than driving, though. Problem is, I know absolutely nothing about the inner workings of a diesel engine, but I do know that I have a major fascination with them, and would love to learn.

Now, about being a trucker...Here's what I've experienced that I'm not particularly fond of...traffic laws? oh please! 55mph? I've heard stories of truckers getting cited for bogus crap. I'll spare the details, but I'm sure you drivers that have been at it for a while know exactly what I'm talking about. Then there's traffic jams and being "rushed" to get a load somewhere by a deadline when that deadline is just not practical due to things out of your control (traffic, weather, break downs, etc). Also, if there's a crash, it can be deadly, for the other passengers in the other car, and/or yourself. These trucks aren't light. They can do a lot of damage very quickly and easily. Being a trucker, I'm guessing you don't get a lot of wholesome food, eating fast food, and not getting enough nutrition/exercise can also take its toll. Being away from home for weeks at a time is also not appealing to me.

Now, for the positive: I absolutely love big rigs! Especially the Peterbilt 379! To me, there just is no other truck to have, especially when they are all decked out and look cool and all those lights turn night into day. I like driving, and I obviously have a thing for big rigs. Advice? I've also learned to drive stick recently, though I'm not very good at it yet, but I have gotten better at it than when I started it the first time.

If I were to pursue this, I would be interested in regional runs, not really OTR so I'd have more of a home/social life.

So...here's my question to all the o/o out there. I'm in the Chicago area, and was wondering if there's anyone out there that would be willing to take me aboard and show me what its like, show me everything that would be useful to know. I can get my CDL learner's permit and take the tests, and if things go well, and if you trust me with your truck, maybe letting me drive for a bit to get the hang of things. If things go well from there, then maybe we can talk about employment and doing the team thing.

Let me know what you think.

Erick
Old 01-06-2007, 03:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Be a diesel mechanic. Then I predict you will have no problems trading an engine rebuild for seat time. And you'd make a killer O/O too.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Board Icon

You'll make more as a diesel mechanic, and you'll sleep in your own bed every night.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Board Regular

Hey Erick,

Sounds like the boys are steering you right. Living on the road is not for everyone. Some take to it well and some don't. Ironically, some people who are SURE they will like it, don't... and some I know who I never expected in 1,000 years to enjoy living on the road..... do!

In my opinion, if you don't mind getting greasy most days, you'd be better of mechanic'in.

I don't expect you'll find anyone willing to let you drive their truck. Another option might be to take a Professional Driver's course... get some time behind the wheel, then see what you think. Even if you decide to become a mechanic, you darn nearly need a CDL to be able to move trucks around and just to learn how to SHIFT one and move it safely around. Trust me, shifting a semi ain't like shifting a car. Not even close. It has taken me a solid YEAR to get good and smooth at shifting my truck.

Anyhow, best wishes to you, good luck. 8)
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena;
whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood;
who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
who knows the great enthusiasms,
the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course;
who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly;
so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls
who know neither victory or defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-06-2007, 05:46 AM
Rookie

Hi guys:

Thank you so much for your replies. I agree with you, that there are not many people who will let me drive their truck, no matter how good I may be at it...I don't know I'd trust anyone driving my $100,000+ truck, especially if it were my only means of making a living; if it were in an accident, that could very well ruin the driver's income for a time.

As far as becoming a diesel mechanic, I have no idea if I have the aptitude for it, never wrenched on one before. But I do know that I love trucks (especially Peterbilts!).

Would anyone here know, perhaps, any dealerships/shops where I can go to learn the very basics of diesel mechanics while I pay my way through tech school? Ideally, I'd love to immerse myself in as much diesel technology as I can, and get both the classroom and real world experience I'd need.

On the other hand, if there's anyone on this site that wouldn't mind having me with them for a couple days, please let me know.

Thanks for your replies. I honestly didn't expect anyone to reply to my initial post, so thank you to those of you that did!

Erick
Old 01-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You might check with dealers and garages in your area. I would think that most will want some experience or training before they will allow you to work on the engines, but may allow you to do minor repairs.