User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default question on billing

ok here is my questions
when you bill someone do you write on the bottom of your invoices that if it is they pay a late fee and if they pay early its a ?% discount?
does this question make sense to you? can some of you post up your invoices so i can see what mines looks like compared to yours?
i am making a new one and wanna make sure it or i don't look retarded. LOL
also does anybody have rate sheets I can compare? it would be for otr 53 van's west coats 80gvw. i am curious what you send the brokers when they say ok on a load and ask for your rate sheet.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: question on billing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcal
ok here is my questions
when you bill someone do you write on the bottom of your invoices that if it is they pay a late fee and if they pay early its a ?% discount?
does this question make sense to you? can some of you post up your invoices so i can see what mines looks like compared to yours?
i am making a new one and wanna make sure it or i don't look retarded. LOL
also does anybody have rate sheets I can compare? it would be for otr 53 van's west coats 80gvw. i am curious what you send the brokers when they say ok on a load and ask for your rate sheet.
I haven't put anything at the bottom of my invoices for quicker payment. Some have paid in 15 days and others over 30. I do go back to the load board and post how long it took to get payment. I don't think you can charge a late fee unless they sign an agreement that you have written before accepting the load. I have never been asked for a rate sheet. On two occasions they have asked me to bid and I did and they took it. Some times they laugh at me. Some times I see a load on the board and I send email and tell them I'll do it for a certain rate and that has worked also. If you send me a PM with your email address I'll send you an image of my invoices I send out.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Me either. There's not enough in the rate to give a discount. I'm too lazy to scan one, but they look like this.

INVOICE FOR ORDER# 15426875

January 5, 2007

Cheap Freight Inc
666 Heaven Rd.
Utopia, ON
USDOT XXXXXX
ICC# MCXXXXXX

Margaret,

Please remit $1,458 in US funds for the P/U and delivery of (1) storage tank from XYZ Corp in Newark NJ to ABC Corp in Toronto ON January 4.

Please find attached:

-signed B.O.L.
-signed invoice
-rate confirmation agreement

Thanks

me
Old 01-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

When you bill, your invoice should list your terms, 7 days, 14 days, 21 days etc. I would not offer a discount because some tricksters will pay you less the discount but take longer than your days to pay to get the discount. I have found most shippers will honor your terms, but most brokers pay on their terms unless you request a qwik pay and give up the costs associated with a qwik pay. I hope this answers your questions.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:59 AM
Board Regular

YES it does answer m y questions.
thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 05:42 PM

The bottom line is that the majority of companies are going to pay the bottom line whenever they feel like it, and you'll have little recourse.

That being said, though, I've found it's better to offer a discount as opposed to a penalty.