User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default WHERE TO START PERMITS ETC..

AS AN OWNER OPERATOR WILL I NEED MY OWN AUTHORITY TO RUN FOR ANOTHER AUTHORITY EXCLUSIVELY?..WHAT KIND OF PERMITS DO I NEED ?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member

In order to haul freight you will need to have "permission" to engage in interstate commerce. This is what operating authority grants you. You have two choices for this:
1) Apply for and maintain your own authority and insurance
2) Lease your truck on with a company that has authority and insurance

In addition to having interstate authority for traveling from state to state you may also need certain INTRASTATE authority for hauling loads from one place to another within one state. California and Texas are two examples states that require intrastate authority.

In addition you willl need to have liability and cargo insurance. You need to pay HVUT Heavy Vehicle Use Tax to the IRS. You will need a IFTA sticker. You will need special forms/permits/stickers from New York, New Mexico, Kentucky, Oregon, and probably a few others I have forgotten. This is just for starters.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 12-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unless you lease to a carrier, you will need Motor Carrier Authority to get any of your permits, base plates, etc., If you want to get your authority, you will need to check on insurance and apply for authority. Authority costs $300 for interstate. Those states who have intrastate authority set their own fees and each is different. Once you get your authority, you will need to apply and receive a DOT number. You will need a copy of your MC authority, DOT number, proof of insurance, proof of ownership of the vehicle (title or title application will suffice) and proof that your heavy highway use tax has been paid. It costs $550/yr and is prorated from the due date, which is the end of July. If you decide to get your own authority, you will likely be required to provide proof of residency and may also be required to have a business phone listed in the company name in which you will operate.

If you lease to a carrier, they can take care of most of the permits for you, but may require you to reimburse them.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:24 AM
Rookie

1) Apply for and maintain your own authority and insurance
2) Lease your truck on with a company that has authority and insurance

In addition to having interstate authority for traveling from state to state you may also need certain INTRASTATE authority for hauling loads from one place to another within one state. California and Texas are two examples states that require intrastate authority.

In addition you willl need to have liability and cargo insurance. You need to pay HVUT Heavy Vehicle Use Tax to the IRS. You will need a IFTA sticker. You will need special forms/permits/stickers from New York, New Mexico, Kentucky, Oregon, and probably a few others I have forgotten. This is just for starters.[/quote]

OH BOY! :shock: I KNOW ITS NOT EASY I JUST HOPE I DONT STRANGLE SOMEONE IN THE PROCESS...LOL .. TY
Old 12-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Unless you lease to a carrier, you will need Motor Carrier Authority to get any of your permits, base plates, etc., If you want to get your authority, you will need to check on insurance and apply for authority. Authority costs $300 for interstate. Those states who have intrastate authority set their own fees and each is different. Once you get your authority, you will need to apply and receive a DOT number. You will need a copy of your MC authority, DOT number, proof of insurance, proof of ownership of the vehicle (title or title application will suffice) and proof that your heavy highway use tax has been paid. It costs $550/yr and is prorated from the due date, which is the end of July. If you decide to get your own authority, you will likely be required to provide proof of residency and may also be required to have a business phone listed in the company name in which you will operate.

If you lease to a carrier, they can take care of most of the permits for you, but may require you to reimburse them.
OK WELL I HAVE 25K SAVED UP HOW MUCH OF THAT SHOULD GO TO THE TRUCK AND LEAVE ENOUGH FOR ALL THE OTHER CRAP?? TY. :?:
Old 12-28-2006, 02:18 AM
Rookie

Just a question from a nuub. I not planning on becoming an O/O just not yet, but sometime in the future I plan to. Is there one stop shopping that gives step by step information on permits, tax stamps, insurance and such needed to become an O/O? Thanks!

TimT
Old 12-28-2006, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Look for posts by Steve Booth. He has recently gotten his own authority and claims to have spend close to $100,000 getting set up.

As for a one stop information center just read every post on this section of the forum. You will find out everything you need to know. Look especially for posts by GMAN.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Rookie

I've seen ads in trucking mags. , 10-4 mag. being one of them, for companies that will process all the permits you need whether it's intrastate or interstate. Can't tell you what it costs, but just wanted to let you know that there are companies out there that will process the permits for you.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Board Regular

Does anyone know whats up with Oklahoma base plates? a lot of companies that aren't from there use them.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN

OK WELL I HAVE 25K SAVED UP HOW MUCH OF THAT SHOULD GO TO THE TRUCK AND LEAVE ENOUGH FOR ALL THE OTHER CRAP?? TY. :?:

It depends on what you want to do. Are you planning on getting your own authority or leasing to a carrier?