User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default NEWBIE .

hello,i am back here after almost 18 months .. i made it through an otr company after getting help and some good advice from this here site ..and yes i am glad i added otr experience to my prior local positions some of the things i learned from being out coast to coast was all benficial to my confidence and professionalism i believe if all drivers went through a major company we would have far safer and superior drivers ..at this point now i am to move on ,so after 6 years of drivering company trucks i just cant bring myself to continue on that path i believe i can make more out of this with my personal experiences i am now on the verge of buying my own rig and the funds arent a major issue so i have some leverage there ..my thoughts of far are purchasing a convectional unit , but i am stuck on the choice of single or tandem axles and could use some insight there ..for 1 the price difference is approx. 10k from the ryders selection with single axles going for about 20k with approx 400k miles and similiar tandems models going for 30K --so are the tandems worth the extra 10k ?i like the fact of having tandem axles in the winter i do live in northeast besides that benefit of having manuverability in snow and ice what are the drawbacks and avantages ? fuel efficicency ? .. ..from there i will need to get all permits ect ...which i dont know where to begin yet but sam hoping the ryder sales rep can guide me on getting all permits stickers plates insurance .etc everything i need to get rolling etc,, i plan to run local out of mass and out of state ..is there a guide somewhere to get my well organized or simple websites to guide this process..i have been in my states dot website and it is quite a bit of information im trying to avoid any hurdles that will slow me down .??
i am 32 years old by the way..been with a dozens of companies ,etc..i also plan on using one of the loadfinders from online named 123loadboard.com at $20 per month it sounds like a deal and expertce service
for finding loads . is this place for real???any advice or links thank you .
Old 12-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Senior Board Member

you can haul more weight with tandem axels....i think.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

A single axle can only carry 20,000 pounds, where a tandem axle can carry 34,000 pounds on the interstate highway system. Single axles are usually for something light like matresses or empty milk jugs. Single axles are also used for hauling doubles where the weight is spread out over more axles. Single axles pulling doubles are usually the first to get stuck in the snow.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 12-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I would absolutely buy a tandem. If you don't , you will be limited to the work you can do. I will also say the majority of work will require a tandem, so that part should not even be questionable.

I have driven for 19 years, and I just bought my own truck a year ago. I have leased on to a company. They have given me steady work, enough to survive. I do whatever I want on the side. I use their authority. I must give them 25% of whatever I make. Not to bad, because insurance is real cheap, and they handle fuel tax and permits. It has been working out nice for me. I have been learning a lot from doing this. If I go out I my own completely, I have learned much about doing it alone. Still a lot more to learn.

Point is, it is much more advisible to lease on to someone before going completely out on your own. That is my opinion from my experience.

Hope this helps, and good luck.