User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 02:22 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Floored,
Thanks for the info. I'm very nervous about buying a used truck from a dealer, because it's so hard to get all the actual facts/history. :cry:

BanditsCousin,
Thanks for the reply. I've got 15 years on you and can't/won't do a lot of the physical work some of the niche stuff you mentioned requires. I'm aware that I'm limiting my potential income, but I'm ok with that. I'd really prefer to stick with van for now and possibly try tanker at some point.

NascarFan,
Thanks for the reply. That's what I've generally been told by most O/O when I've asked about engines. Wish I'd had a Cummins in one of my trucks so I could make a choice. I know I'd choose Cat over Detroit though. What I meant about the difference between the six and seven series is like the 660/670 compared to the 770/780. I knew the sleeper size and obvious weights associated with the extra size, but are there any other differences besides that? ie Do they have the same general dashes, interiors etc. I can live with say a 670 over a 780 in order to save money on my first truck.

What frustrates me the most is that the major thing stopping me from just buying a truck and going for it, other than money of course, is I MUST have medical insurance with prescription coverage. Not having it simply isn't an option and if that means I'm trapped into being a company driver in order to meet my health needs, I guess I'll just have to accept it. :cry:
Old 12-22-2006, 02:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Do you realise, that with those pay, you wouldn' be makig more than a company driver? Most likely even less.
So what's the reason? :roll:
Old 12-22-2006, 03:00 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Do you realise, that with those pay, you wouldn' be makig more than a company driver? Most likely even less.
No, I don't realize that. Thus the reason I posted this thread. I've talked to several of the O/O at Crete and they say they make a lot more than the company drivers and have a lot more independence and control of their personal time. Some have their own trucks they brought with them and some have bought one from Crete, but ALL of them were happy and claimed to make a very good living. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible from ALL sources, so I can make an educated/informed decision. I get your point and agree with you. I mean why have all the headache, responsibility and risk of an O/O if I can make about the same money being a company driver without it. If I find that to be the case, I won't become an O/O at Crete. The problem is, MOST O/O do not have to take into consideration the health issues/costs that I do. If I didn't have the issues I have, I can assure you I'd already be an O/O.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
No, I don't realize that. Thus the reason I posted this thread. I've talked to several of the O/O at Crete and they say they make a lot more than the company drivers and have a lot more independence and control of their personal time..
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but as a company driver, you could make some $0.40 per mile+bennys+SS tax, so it's more like $0.45-47cpm.
So just to match it O/O suppose to make around $1.20 (least amount) for loaded empty.
Do they? :roll:

And what kind of independence and freedom is that, if you got to constantly run, just to survive?
The sad truth is, that a lot of folks simply don't know the difference.... :sad:
Old 12-22-2006, 04:43 AM
Senior Board Member

"A nice Living" can be defined a million different ways. I bet they make about 60-65K (the Crete o/o's). Look at my figures above, and I still don't think I make enough!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
I bet they make about 60-65K (the Crete o/o's).
Gross? Maybe. Net? No way. They would have to have a yearly gross of probably around $150,000 or more to net 60-65K. And on top of that, they pay more tax than a company driver.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Board Regular

Well, I currently make .41 cents per practical route mile and I've averaged around 2,550 paid miles a week since I've been with Crete and that includes home time. I do have decent benefits and I'll get a penny raise in May. I'm guessing I'll gross around $45K for 2006. I'll just start asking the O/O how the hell they're making it at Crete and what EXACTLY they make after expenses. I know they're not running illegal, because you can't get away with it at Crete. Well, not for long anyway. Good points made by all, thanks.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you want to check the history of the engine, you can take the serial number from the engine and then get in touch with Cummins, CAT or Detroit, and they can tell you what has been done, if anything, on the engine, provided it was done at an authorized dealer.

Start keeping track of your expenses while still being a company driver. You can also download a spreadsheet off of the OOIDA website which will give you a rough idea of expenses you will incur as an owner operator. www.ooida.com is the web address. I am not sure whether you need to be a member or not to access the spreadsheet. It is designed where you can play with the numbers and see if you can make any money with the expenses you will likely incur.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Senior Board Member

How does Crete keep drivers from running illegally?

Also, me gusta Catepillar
Old 12-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Board Regular

Thanks Gman, I'll check that out. I don't have Excel, but I'll read about it on the site. I used to be in IT and don't want anything more to do with M$. I switched to Macs and will never go back. However, I do have Windows XP Pro installed on my Mac, but only for gaming. :P I like having my cake and eating it too. :lol:

BanditsCousin, Crete runs electronic logs now. Sorta like Werner, but not paperless. Big Brother (Qualcomm) is watching you. :roll: You can run, but you can't hide. Unless it's under a bridge, fuel island, garage, trees, etc :lol: