User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

thanks justruckin. 3/8"!

Quote:
If you have a 20,000 lb coil thats 70" wide the coil is so small in diameter that somtimes it'll hit the floor first instead of the blocks.
EXACTLY! That's why I was thinking there had to be different sized racks.

Quote:
I just double block it on one side to narrow it up and the coil doesn't hit the floor.
Ahhh, I never thought of that. That's what I've been missing. Thanks.

Quote:
There are coil racks that hold the wood at the proper angle and they have two position on either side for small or big diameter coils. The other nice thing about these is that you don't neeed to carry bevelled wood just good 4X4's
Yeah, that's the type that I planning to build. I was thinking about a piece of flat bar with two pieces of steel angle welded onto the flat bar so that the angles trap the 4x4's at a 45 degree angle. Once I know the coil's diameter, it's just a matter of positioning the angles to keep the coil off the deck.

...and yes I do know what a coil rack looks like.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Double post........sorry
Old 12-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Yeah, that's the type that I planning to build. I was thinking about a piece of flat bar with two pieces of steel angle welded onto the flat bar so that the angles trap the 4x4's at a 45 degree angle. Once I know the coil's diameter, it's just a matter of positioning the angles to keep the coil off the deck.

...and yes I do know what a coil rack looks like.
The ones that TMC uses are a piece of flat bar with six peices of angle welded to it. The two outermost pairs are 2 inch angle, with another inside that of about 1.25 inch angle. This allows the 4x4's to be placed in several different notches for various coils. I would buy or borrow one to copy to make sure you have all the right measurements. If you have a standard rack the loading crew will know which notch you want the 4x4 set into to make the coil fit properly.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 12-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have only had one size of coil racks. I have had various sizes of coils and they have always worked well for me. I have had a few instances where the coil touched the bed of the truck, but as long as you have good support from the rack and adequate chains or straps, you should not have any problems.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:37 PM

[quote="rank"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
I'm going to make some coil racks...need to know the diameters don't I?
Quote:
Just go to a good trailer shop, I pay $12 a piece for them. And those are the heavy ones. I haul 46,000 lb coils with them all of the time and have never had one break..
4 trailers x 4 coil racks per trailer (possibly more if I need different sizes) @ $12 is about $200. I could build my own in anout and hour for a 1/4 of that cost.

Now, how big are those 46,000 lb coils if you don't mind me askin'? :wink:

I've seen two different sizes for sale online. I've also seen a coil rack that's designed so it suits two different size coils....so I know different sized coil racks are required.
If your that broke where you cant afford 200 bucks in coil racks, then you dont have the experience need to haul a coil. And it takes experience
Old 12-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

If you have never carried coils before, then be bloody careful. Most news reports of trucks losing loads of steel are about coil carriers. Use plenty of chains and a few straps on the bite, counteracting each other, wouldn,t hurt.
Good luck :wink:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 12-22-2006, 03:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
If your that broke where you cant afford 200 bucks in coil racks, then you dont have the experience need to haul a coil. And it takes experience
Okay, I get your point. You're right, I've never hauled a coil and I've read lots of stories about them falling off trailers. But with the proper number of coil racks and chains, edge protectors and mats....how can you go wrong?

Without looking it up in the book, I'm guessing a 20,000lb coil should have 3 6500lbs chains through the eye toward the rear, one in the middle and another 3 toward the front (although I can't imagine what good the 3 toward the front are doing).

Granted, I know nothing but what bothers me the most about coils is the concentrated load they put on the trailer.

Now, flame away. :wink:
Old 12-22-2006, 03:20 AM

No flame...actually I recant what I said, short of pulling one, you are looking at the right things. a 46k coil in front of the axles does put a lot of stress on the trailer. Good luck in what you do, and remember more chains are better. I personally think a stepdeck is safer for coils. Plus a 20k coil over the 5th and one over the axles isnt fun either. 20k weight right above the 5th wheel does wear her out quicker than the weight being spread. I agree though, a lot of the flatbed related load problems out there are due to hauling coils. Be very gentle, and dont race. Remeber those 46k coils are also kinda higher up too.

Best Wishes

PS The chains toward the front are simply to keep it stable. If you get any rolling, its very dangerous. You want NO chance for that coil to move. If you load suicide, and that does break loose, it will take a header, a headache rack and the cab out with it, I have seen the trucks with the rolled over sleepers, and they are not nice to see.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Junkman.

Don't think a 46,000 lb coil would pay well enough for me to put it on one of my trailers but you never know. Smaller ones would suit me better.

I hear you on the big coils having the high center of gravity....especially on a flat deck. Our head hauls are 50,000lbs payload with the c of g at approx 6 feet off the ground and that's bad enough. But a big coil on a skateboard must be even worse. S-l-o-w c-o-r-n-e-r-s.

thanks again
Old 01-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Rookie
Default Coils

They come in all shapes and sizes. Just make sure the coil fits tight on the lumber in the rack and not on the floor.Depending on the method of unloading or loading,my preference is to haul them suicide/eye to the side whatever. I think they ride better. The biggest one I have hauled weighed about 68,000 lbs. from Madison Il. to Detroit Mi. For the bigger coils I'd recommend using the large coil racks and a beveled 6"x6" oak board approx. 5-6 ft. long to distribute the weight a little better they're just a pain in the rear for storage when not in use but if you haul machinery or other large items they also come in handy for that. Every steel mill has different rules etc. Get some 3/8 chains too at least 6 w/ratchet binders. Good Luck.