User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

So, the load boards don't mean anything... they are just fishing holes. That is only a starting point. And even if you say yes, you still may not get the load if another broker on another board somewhere has also posted the load and gets nibbles on his bait, too.

Are there boards that post the available carriers, destinations, services and fees, similar to the load boards?

I know it's free enterprise, but on initial observation the business model has some problems.

-
Old 12-16-2006, 01:29 AM

No, some load boards are legit. Depends on who the shipper is and how large an operation. If they're loading 25+ trucks a day they most likely use numerous brokers who then bait the boards.
If it's a smaller shipper who might only load 1-6 loads a day for example, then that boker load you see posted is most likely the real deal.
The key is to find and work with one or two good dependable brokers who fit your parameters and have loads where you travel. Then that way you'll seldom be relying on load boards anyhow. You just call your broker and tell them you'll be delivering in Hooterville on Tuesday and to get you a load back home.
The more brokers you deal with the bigger the chance your eventually going to get hosed at some point. Talk to some O/O and ask who they use/recommend. Talk to other experienced drivers who lease and ask what kind of freight their brokers book, what traffic lanes, who they recommend etc.
Build a good network and you'll eliminate alot of headaches down the road.

"Never say never because you just never know"
Old 12-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawHAMMER
So it's a good idea for a broker to establish good relationships with quality carriers with upstanding drivers and it's a win-win-win for everyone.
You are right on that. I know how I operate my truck, communication is key.

You don't yell, scream or bitch. I see these guys everyday, they give us all a bad name. If you think you are getting screwed, DON'T TAKE THE LOAD! And let the shipper or broker know why you are refusing the load. And do it in a respectful manner, even if they do not deserve it.

It takes time to establish yourself with brokers and shippers. If you do the job, you will reap the benefits. We have watched our per mile rates increase steadily. Sure, we get that one run that you would cringe at, but it still makes you a profit. And it gets you positioned to make that rate that just makes you smile, sometimes from the same broker. Imagine that?

There is money to be made out here, and every broker is not out to screw the O/O's. It just boils down to doing your job, and doing it in a timely and efficient manner. That means knowing the best and quickest routes, checking the weather, knowing your freight lanes and areas, etc...

And no cheap freight. I know that is hard to say right now, it is that time of the year. But there is some fool out there that took that .60 a mile load that I was offered the other day. If things are that bad, get out of trucking, because you are screwing all of us. Along with making yourself out to be an easy mark to be taken advantage of.

This is a business that just happens to entail driving a truck. Treat it as such, and you will prosper. Treat your brokers and shippers with respect and reap the benefits. You want to play Mr. Big Stuff, your going to get screwed. I know a few of those guys, and things aren't going very good for them right now. And they want to know my secret.

:wink:
Old 12-16-2006, 03:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are some good brokers out there. At the same time, there are some who would steel the coins off their grandmother's eyes. (old saying). I have been offered some really cheap loads the last few weeks. Only a few days ago, I was offered rates which wouldn't even break a dollar. I have a load on my truck now that pays more than $2.50/mile. There is nothing special about it. I have done business with this shipper before. They called me with the load. They asked for a price and I gave them what I considered a fair price, for where it was going. They accepted and I loaded this afternoon for a Monday delivery. I pick up a check when I deliver the product. I don't have to give any discounts to get my money early and don't need to worry about getting my money. I think that if brokers need to wait to pay a truck, then they should pay a penalty. Instead, they charge as much as 8% to pay earlier than 30-45 days. I found one broker who had already been paid, before the load was on the truck, and he charged a premium for paying in a few days. I have a broker with whom I have dealt and he pays the same or next day after receiving the bills. He will even overnight it to me if I pay the shipping charges. The problem with this guy is that his loads are seasonal. I just had some seasonal loads cancel on me because of the weather hitting Washington and the Midwest. This guy pays as soon as I hand him the bills. He lives close enough to me so that I can hand him the bills and he writes me a check while I wait. If I want to mail the bills to him, then he sends out a check the same or next day. His rates are over $2/mile and are usually not a problem to handle. I wish all brokers were like these people.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:18 AM
Board Regular

The time to pay. If there is one gripe I have, it is the time to pay.

In a perfect world, we would get paid on delivery. Because like you said, allot of this has already been done, the money exchange. Except we are left out of the picture as that money sits somewhere collecting interest or whatever.

We are truly the read headed step children out here in the food chain.

That is why I like CH and dealing direct with shippers. You can normally have your money in a day or two. And yes, CH charges 1.5%, but that is peanuts to me right now.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't haul a lot of CH Robinson loads, because many of them don't pay as much as I need. However, you always know that the money is there. The same when brokering through Landstar. While both charge an extra fee for early payment, it won't break the bank, especially when the rate is good. Landstar is supposed to pay the carrier 80% of the rate. I know this is not always the case. If I find that ANY broker is trying to scam me, then I will not do business with that agent or broker. I have a few Landstar agents whom I feel have dealt fairly with me. I will haul for them when the rate is decent. Unfortunately, one of them isn't getting much business from an account that I used to deal because another broker went in and raped the rate to get the business. If an owner operator who runs percentage refused to haul cheap loads, all rates would come up. If Landstar, Maverick or any other carrier or broker can't move a cheap load, then the rate comes up. I have a minimum rate that I will haul a load. If I don't get that minimum rate, then my truck doesn't move unless I deadhead to the house or to a better area. I spoke with a broker the other day who told me that they were paying less than $1/mile for a load. He told me that the shipper knew that they would probably need to pay more, but they would let it sit and raise the rate slightly until it moved. He said most of them were moving at about $1.20/mile. I asked him why then didn't just raise the rate to $1.20? He told me that sometimes it moves for less.

When I got into trucking, you didn't have so many brokers who made you wait for your money. You turned in your bills and you got paid on the spot. You didn't have to wait or play games to get your money. You performed a service and should be paid for your work. There are too many brokers who have marginal means and cannot afford to pay until they receive their money. Some will sit on the money and earn interest or make extra on the carrier or owner operator if they want to be paid within a few days. I know one large broker who charges 5% if you want to be paid within 24 hours from receipt of bills, and $25 extra if you want a Comcheck. Frankly, I think that is a lot of brass. Remember, a broker doesn't make money unless they move loads. If we refuse to haul loads below a certain rate, say $1.50/mile or more, then all rates would come up.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Factoring cost some money for brokers. This is reason why you pay % for fast money
Old 12-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If we refuse to haul loads below a certain rate, say $1.50/mile or more, then all rates would come up.
This is one of the things that amazes me about this industry... in actuality the trucker has more control over the price than most believe they do. Some must feel they are at the mercer of the broker or the shipper; some may need to hone their negotiating skills... (some jobs may just be from crooked or cheap brokers/shippers.)

It appears that unfortunately, for various reasons, some truckers are not in a position or want to move somewhere else and are willing to crumble to the cheap price.

Which brings me to another thought... what value added to the service do some carriers consistantly hold over others for some carriers to always be the ones that recieve the premium paying jobs? Is your truck newer/shinier, is your trailer cleaner, do you drive faster, do you have a smile on your face, do you arrive on time, do you wear a clean shirt, are you not confrontational, etc?

What additional value added, from the shippers point of view, is for them to pay you $$2.50 when someone else would be willing to do it for $1.35? What makes them pay extra when they may not have to?

I realize that shippers and brokers will always have their favorites because they know they can call when they are in a pitch and get your help when needed in an emergency or whatever.
-
Old 12-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I understand that factoring costs money, but some brokers use a factor and charge more than what the factor charges. Others use it as a means to generate more revenue. I know of some who get paid up front but still either hold on to the money or charge an extra fee for paying early. It is not up to the carrier to pay for the brokers cost of doing business. If the broker doesn't have sufficient capital to run his business, perhaps he should close the doors. I think the carrier should be paid upon receipt of the goods. It isn't up to the carrier to finance the broker's business. That is one reason some want brokers to put up a $100,000 bond instead of the current $10,000. If a broker can afford to put up that large of a bond, then they should be more solid. If a carrier does business with a broker rather than the shipper then the broker is the customer. It is the responsibility of the broker to pay the carrier regardless of whether he has been paid or not. There didn't seem to be so many brokers a couple of decades or so ago.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I understand that factoring costs money, but some brokers use a factor and charge more than what the factor charges.
I run another business, I had 29 employees relying on me to pay them every Friday at one point in time; routinely I have slow payers. I have had to go to the bank to get a short term loan to get my folks paid. That's the cost of doing business.

If a broker says he will pay you at a specific date or upon receipt or whatever, if the broker needs to liquidate his receivables accounts at a loss to pay you, I am sorry, but would have no sympathy for them.

Pay the man or women what they are owed when you said you would (period).
-