User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I have seen another guy who takes a gas can with him. He fills the can up, then walks over and fills up his generator.
I would love to know where he puts the can when not in use. I would think that it would be considered hazmat - after all, an empty fuel tanker still needs to display hazmat placards, unless the residue has been washed out.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I have seen another guy who takes a gas can with him. He fills the can up, then walks over and fills up his generator.
I would love to know where he puts the can when not in use. I would think that it would be considered hazmat - after all, an empty fuel tanker still needs to display hazmat placards, unless the residue has been washed out.
You would need to carry a lot more than a couple cans of gas before you need placards. Others no one could drive a old gas truck or a car.

When I had this set up I had a trailer with belly boxes so fumes and smell was not a problem.

Pain in the neck-Yes, cheaper yes-is it worth it? Your call
Old 12-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Senior Board Member

I forgot to check, but it is elec start? That would be a bitch to be out there yanking on a rope a buncha times in the middle of the night
Old 12-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke98908
You would need to carry a lot more than a couple cans of gas before you need placards. Others no one could drive a old gas truck or a car.
An automobile has a CLOSED fuel system, and is not considered HAZMAT. A gas can isn't a closed system, and would be considered hazmat. You are comparing apples and oranges. Trust me - I know what I am talking about here. Every time I haul a push lawnmower or a weed wacker, they must first be drained of gas, and then the system must be purged (the tank must be dry), because they are not closed systems. If I am going to haul a gas can, it cannot have an odor of gasoline, or it is considered hazmat.

IF someone were to haul around a gas can, it would have to be secured, or it would be a violation as well. The same rule applies for hauling propane for a gas grill or a built in stove - it must be secured, and not able to move around.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Smelly gas cans ARE a hazmat. I 2nd that.

I thought we weren't allowed to take propane tanks that were full? I try to avoid hauling them at all costs anyway :wink:
Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Board Regular

The Champion brand of portable generator is one of the new Honda knockoff Chinese-built generators. There are many other similar models now marketed here under different brand names. Concerning noise, they are about halfway between a loud Coleman, etc., and a quiet Honda or Yamaha. Here is a link to a topic on an RV forum that well tell you all you want to know about them, and more. Be advised that this thread has been active for almost two years and contains over 300 pages of reading.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/15131645.cfm

I own one of these generators that I use with my RV. It is no louder than the average idling diesel engine, maybe quieter, that's why they have become popular with the RV crowd, relatively quiet and much less expensive than Honda. Champion is currently working on further noise reduction by developing side panels to mount on the frame of the gen., to be introduced sometime in 2007. Those who have called Champion customer support have received very good service/tech support when needed. The 3000 watt models will power a 13,500 BTU roof air unit in an RV, plus a few other accessories. Make sure if you buy one that you get one that sends all 3000 watts to one outlet (most of them have 2 outlets, some supply all available volts to one outlet if that's all you are hooked to) Here is a link, no I do not work for them. 8)

http://www.championpowerequipment.com/ [/url]
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Senior Board Member

You mentioned having the air conditioner hanging out the door. Are you talking about the kind that people have in their house windows? Where do you put it when not using it?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:45 AM

[quote="Bigmon"]You mentioned having the air conditioner hanging out the door. Are you talking about the kind that people have in their house windows? Where do you put it when not using it?[/quote

Yes regular window A/C units work great. When I did it I took matteress off bottom bunk and made it into a office. So I just let the A/C sit by the door when not in use.

http://classifieds.truck.net/index.php?page=out&id=37
Old 12-14-2006, 03:58 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
Smelly gas cans ARE a hazmat. I 2nd that.

I thought we weren't allowed to take propane tanks that were full? I try to avoid hauling them at all costs anyway :wink:
Propane tanks are legal (up to the size of a standard grill tank) as long as they are providing fuel for some system in the truck (ie. a stove, grill, etc). They must, however, be secured.

They are not legal to be hauled in the trailer, as they are not providing fuel for the tractor there. :wink:

Full or empty - propane tanks cannot be hauled in a HHG trailer for any reason.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:18 PM

I built an APU around a Honda generater for my previous truck. Honda makes the EB3000, which is actually a "cyclogenerater", essentially a 12volt alternater with a built in inverter, but this one puts out 3KW, neat thing it only weighs 85lbs! (these Champions may be similar)

I mounted the generater in a 24in sguare alum box mounted to the chassis, and found a 16gl fuel cell would just fit between the frame rails of the tractor, that was enough to run for 4-5 nights easy.

For a/c, I mounted a 6500BTU window unit right through the back wall of the sleeper, buy 'em anywhere for less that $100. For heat, I used a electric space heater.

I've seen some pretty good setups for mounting window a/c's. One driver cut a piece of plywood with the appropriate holes cut to fit in his bunk door, and I've seen some folks have a bracket built to fit it in the pass door window. Drawback to this is you have to fit it in everytime you stop.

I made me nervous running that generater in the box because of the heat , so I cut holes in it and fitted a car electric fan in it to "assist" in cooling it and keep any fumes out, also made a safety switch using a piece of alum sheeting and a micro switch to cut off the ignition if the fan failed for any reason.

This setup worked okay, certainly better than nothing. Drawback is that Honda was/is expensive. Last I checked it was over $2000! Honda also makes a 2 cyl watercooled RV unit which I think would really make a nice unit for a truck, pricey though, but about half the price of any diesel.

Just be carefull of the heat, don't want to build a "bomb" now do we??