User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fuel related expenses (How best to save a few cents)

I’m working with and excel program going over numbers (profit loss stuff) and fuel seems to be one factor I wish I had more control over. I have been wondering how to reduce the over all operating cost of fuel. I’ve read many articles about slowing down and using technology to reduce drag, trip planning and the like all of that helps but is there more that can be done?

I’ve noticed some companies that you can lease onto have fuel caped at “X” pick any number. How do they offer those fuel caps? Do any of you buy fuel in bulk say for a 6 month period? And what about Bio fuels any thinking they can make some veg fuel and save that way? I think buying in bulk is a good idea if I ran regional, but how can an over the road driver manage this cost most effectively. Basically how do you do it?

Seems a few pennies can really add up. If you have any good links post them it will save you from having to type and rehash this old ground I’m sure. Thanks in advanced for your time.
I will post anything I find that might be of help to others.

Andrew
Old 12-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Senior Board Member

slowing down is the big one really but if you want to get more creative:

avoid idling
install air tabs
buy a fuel delivery company, there must be about a 10% markup to the distributer.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
slowing down is the big one really but if you want to get more creative:

avoid idling
install air tabs
buy a fuel delivery company, there must be about a 10% markup to the distributer.
Idle time is a huge expense. Probably the biggest single fuel expense. (you can shave a little with slowing down and changing this or that, but none of it will add up to what you can save if you shut the truck off 10 to 12 hours a day.) I have been reading alot of idle time articles altely (on paper not on the net so no links for them I'm sorry) but the expenses involved in idling, and fuel cost of doing it is easily paid for by a generator, if you don't have one, I'd be thinking about it. The savings in fuel would pretty much cover the payement of the gen, + some from what I"m reading.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Keeping an eye on your air pressure can help. A low tire creates more rolling resistance which will require more fuel.

Andrew, the way some of these large carriers can cap their fuel at a certain level is two fold. The primary reason is the fuel surcharge. Other than that is that some have their own bulk facility at their terminals and buy at bulk rates or on annual contracts. Most carriers to whom you lease will pay a fuel surcharge. Those who are honest pass the entire fuel surcharge on to their owner operators.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Some of the larger companies might also play in the futures markets and use hedging to reduce fuel cost variation.

It would be interesting to find aif there is a company that can offer that to the smaller carriers.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Senior Board Member

if your ran on your own homemade biodiesel you`d be running illegal unless you pay taxes on it, and yes they`d find out when they didnt see ya paying road tax for running in particular state(s)
Old 12-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
if your ran on your own homemade biodiesel you`d be running illegal unless you pay taxes on it, and yes they`d find out when they didnt see ya paying road tax for running in particular state(s)
Road taxes are completely seperate from fuel taxes. The only reason they are lumped together is because the fuel taxes offset the road taxes. If you used biodiesel, you would just be required to pay all the road taxes for each quarter you file, as you wouldn't have any fuel taxes to offset them.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Board Regular

The only real fuel saver that I have found, is an APU.

I have the APU and Super Singles on the tractor and trailer.

I have no clue in regards to fuel savings with the SS's, but my buddy has the same set up and figures about .3-.5 miles to the gallon in fuel savings. Those are his numbers, not mine.

I know with the APU, if I remember correctly, got me around 1-1.5 mpg on my quarterly IFTAs. I don't have any numbers in front of me, just off the top of my head. I have had other trucks with the APU's installed and found the same increases in mpg or consumption.

I have a heavy foot, but have a good earnings average. So I really do not pay that much attention, some, but not allot, to fuel mileage on a day to day basis. And my tractor is brand new with only 30,000 miles on it, still breaking in. But I figure I get 5 - 6 mpg right now, depending on the weather, and the winter blend does not help, nor the new ppm fuel. I am expecting to see my mileage drop into the lower 5's and high 4's throughout the winter.

Like I said, the fuel mileage thief to me is the new ppm fuels and the always mpg robbing winter blend. Put the two together, and it spells ouch in the wallet. Just another part of doing business out here, and that is unfortunate. Look into an APU, that is a sure fire way to save a buck, even after the monthly payments if you do not pay cash.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:06 AM
Board Regular

Stopping unnecessary idling, slower speeds, correct air pressure and progressive shifting will add a lot more fuel savings over a years time than you can imagine.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 AM
Rookie