User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default HELP - Bringing Truck home

For years I have lived in a mobile home park where often trucks and trailers parked up front when the drivers of them were home for the week/weekend. Recently the park has been sold.

I have been recently told via the maintenance man that the new owner does not want semi's in the park as they look bad. (paraphrasing)

While I can understand perhaps putting an end to 70 foot trucks being parked in the front of the property, this is my personal vehicle when I am not working.

Does anyone know of a law or state statue (specifically in MN) that would protect me from this discrimination? There are no weight restriction signs posted. There is nothing posted in the rules or lease regarding not allowing trucks here. The property allows RVS to enter the park, Obviously the garbage truck comes and goes, School buses are in and out all the time.

It seems to me that there should be something someplace that protects us drivers from stuff like this. Do I not have a legal right to be in or at my house with my truck?

I know that if you are not pulling a load, and you are starting your on duty time the same place you are ending it, you can use the CMV as a personal vehicle and not log the drive time when doing personal running. How about parking it in front of my house when it's just the truck? Would this not be considered my personal vehicle and protected from discrimination? Anyone know of anything?

Thanks,
Nendail

Oh forgot to mention, I'm literally only 75 feet from the highway, and 50 feet from service road that is a legal truck route.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

try talking to the owner personally and explaining your situation.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Senior Board Member

My advice as well but the owner of the property probably has say so in what kind of vehicles he/she does not want on the property as long as it is within reason. Seems to me like truckers are a target for everyone. Good luck to you.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:21 PM

Well dang it, this really annoys me. So if you own a house that is on a lot in a mobile home park and the owner of said property says "We no longer aloud Cars on the property. YOu can have trucks or motor-cycles but no cars." This is legal?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Senior Board Member

lol...I kinda find it funny that the owner of a TRAILER PARK thinks that trucks will make a TRAILER PARK look trashy!!

Old 12-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, really :lol:

I would think if it were just the truck parked in front of your place, it wouldnt be as much of an issue.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:26 AM

Sorry to hear about problems with the new owner, but if you fight him over this issue, he'll more than likely win.

Commercial vehicles are generally restricted from residential areas except for delivery purposes. Often times it's not enforced, and depends on the zoneing, local ordinances etc.

You'd do well to take him out to lunch and talk it over, or change the trucks name to Winnebago...
Old 12-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Several year ago, I was visiting in a small town in Texas. It was a residential area. I parked on the side of the road in front of the house. Someone called the cops. Apparently, there is a law prohibiting trucks from parking in residential neighborhoods in this town. The entire town is about 30,000 people. I later parked in their driveway and the same thing happened. Now, I just park at a truck stop about 20 miles away and that solves the problem. If it is only the owner of the property who doesn't want the trucks, you may explain to him that the truck is you mode of transportation while at home. You may also tell him that unless you can park the tractor at home that you may be forced to move to a more truck friendly place. If you are a long time resident and pay on time, he may work with you. It is expensive advertising and finding new renters, especially those who pay their rent on time. 8)
Old 12-10-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Several year ago, I was visiting in a small town in Texas. It was a residential area. I parked on the side of the road in front of the house. Someone called the cops. Apparently, there is a law prohibiting trucks from parking in residential neighborhoods in this town. The entire town is about 30,000 people. I later parked in their driveway and the same thing happened. Now, I just park at a truck stop about 20 miles away and that solves the problem. If it is only the owner of the property who doesn't want the trucks, you may explain to him that the truck is you mode of transportation while at home. You may also tell him that unless you can park the tractor at home that you may be forced to move to a more truck friendly place. If you are a long time resident and pay on time, he may work with you. It is expensive advertising and finding new renters, especially those who pay their rent on time. 8)
Yeah this might be the route I have to go in order to get this to go away. It's funny because this place is a DUMP! I only stay here because I have been here since I was like 4 years old and so I have deep roots. The funny thing is we live up front of the property. There are only three houses up front. Mine, My sisters, and my mothers. When the truck is parked up front it can hardly be seen from the road that passes by out front because it's hidden by 30 HUGE FULL WIDE pine trees.

And in the park is about 20 (under estimating) vacant homes that have windows boarded up, and are basicaly rat traps. They are almost beyond repair.

On the main street of the park is a 1 ton panel van that has been parked there for like 3 years that don't run, along with several other large vehicles.

Apprently he simply don't like trucks.

All these groups are pushing for laws for this or that or changing this law or that law. We need them to start pushing for laws that allow us to park our trucks (not trailers) where we need to in order to get reasonable access to places. This blatent descrimination of trucks is unreal.

I fully understand not wanting a 70 foot trucks tretched out across houses and yards and stuff, but come on, a cab?

Nendail
Old 12-10-2006, 03:41 PM

I tell you what I went through the same thing with the home-owners association at my place. The reason the gave me for not wanting my tractor in the neighborhood that the roads could not handle the weight of my tractor.

So I told them they needed tell the garbage man not to run up and down our streets since they weight more empty than my tractor. Then I proved it to them. You know what they stopped sending me letters about my truck.