User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My plan to take over the world

Well I have 2 weeks left in the army. After that I am shipping out to Iraq to be a light wheel mechanic for 2 years. Then I am gonna use some of that GI Bill money to go to the best truck driving school in the country. (Any suggestions?) Then I am gonna drive for a company for about a year. After that I plan on driving for another company in a specialized field (either auto hauling, bedbugging or oversize) to get my feet wet. Then I am gonna buy a new Volvo 780 (cash) and either lease on to a company or get my own authority. I plan on paying myself a 2000 dollar a month truck payment till I get my money back out of the pig. I am 26 now. I plan on being almost 30 when I start company driving. I also plan on buying a bar in Thailand when I am no older than 55 and retiring there. I am single with a son.

People on these forums shit all over this industry, although this board is much better than trucknet. I have been doing the math, and I don't see how I can lose money. I think a lot of people buy equipment without having a clue about running a business. These people are better served as company drivers.

To everyone who says this industry sucks: I have 50k to go to college with. I also have a 6 figure job waiting for me next year. I plan on writing a check for my new truck, and I have crunched the numbers, and I can't lose money. I had planned on buying a truck as soon as I got out of Iraq. Listening to some of the seasoned members of this board, I decided to put that off until I have driven for a company for 2 years. During that time I am going to learn as much as I can about the industry.

See you on the road in a couple years

--AC Ranger
Old 11-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad to hear that you are going to work as a company driver for a couple of years before buying a truck. If you plan on pulling cars or oversized, you may want to rethink your decision to buy a Volvo. They are good trucks, but may not be the best choice for those applications.

I am glad that you plan on paying cash for your truck. However, I would NEVER say that you cannot lose money in ANY business. You can always lose your shirt. You are not as likely to do so if you pay cash for your equipment and have a good reserve. Good luck. I hope you stay in touch and let us know how things are going when you get to Iraq.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:09 PM

Well Gman, experience such as yours is what I have been listening to, and I will continue to do so. I have lots of research to do before I drop 130k on a new truck. I know a few Rangers whos fathers have driven truck and they told me Volvos ride like Cadillacs.......but like I said, I have a ways to go before I get to that point.

As for not losing money, I know $hit happens, but my whole life I have been above average. I am confident I can be successul in this industry. Life can always throw you a curveball however, and I understand that.

I plan on starting a thread on my Iraq experience. I know it isn't that related to driving truck, but I suspect people will be interested in it nonetheless........take it easy brother
Old 11-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: My plan to take over the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by acranger
To everyone who says this industry sucks: I have 50k to go to college with.
And what's wrong with that?

I understand you sence of adventure, but in my opinion, college would be a much better investment, if you are really "above the average"! :wink:
Old 11-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

ONCE AGAIN, SOLO PROVIDES SOUND ADVICE.

Can't lose money eh? Today's jokes:
1) 48,000 lbs of lumber to be tarped and moved "466 miles". Paying $650. I showed 540 miles.
2) 28,000 lbs of machinery. Broker showed 330 miles (by airplaine I guess :roll: ). Paid $500. I showed 500 miles.

EXAMPLE 2:
500 miles x $.35/mile = $175 fuel
Tolls = $100
Meals = $40
S/total = $315 - 500 = $185 left.

Yep, it's a piece of cake. :wink:
Old 11-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think Volvo is the best riding truck on the market today. Have you considered finishing your education before buying a truck? Having a good education gives you options.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I think Volvo is the best riding truck on the market today. Have you considered finishing your education before buying a truck? Having a good education gives you options.
I have thought about it. I am thinking about working on online courses while I am in Iraq. I am just not that fired up about college. I have a lot of friends who are college grads and a lot of them don't even make 50k a year.

Still would hate to let that GI bill money go to waste.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
I have a lot of friends who are college grads and a lot of them don't even make 50k a year.
College is only a foundation. You have to choose the right field and when you're out there you still have to go get that money. Probably changing jobs and moving cities a few times to find it.

And $50,000 might be approaching the upper end of what you can make as a driver.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
College is only a foundation. You have to choose the right field and when you're out there you still have to go get that money.

And $50,000 might be approaching the upper end of what you can make as a driver.
Exactly!

My daughter, graduated in 2000, got her "masters", last year, just got a raise to $95,000.
And that's not including overtime, bonuses, and all imaginable benefits.

I'm sure not making that much "net", with over 10 years in business, and over 30 in trucking! :wink:
Old 11-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
I have thought about it. I am thinking about working on online courses while I am in Iraq. I am just not that fired up about college. I have a lot of friends who are college grads and a lot of them don't even make 50k a year.

Still would hate to let that GI bill money go to waste.

A college education helps to make you a more well rounded person. It also offers you options if you decide that trucking isn't for you. Most companies require a college education to get in the door. You might consider taking some preferences tests such as "Strong." Some Universities and Colleges offer them free to enrollees. It sometimes helps to direct you to something which you have an interest based upon your answers. It isn't an IQ test, but a preferences test. You can also take some preferences tests on line. Sometimes it can spur ideas. You will still need to take the basics, regardless of your course of study. A college degree doesn't necessarily mean that you will start out making $100M/yr, but I have known of a few who have gotten close. However, that is not the norm. The college education will get your foot in the door. The rest is up to the individual. Most college graduates advance more quickly and farther up the corporate ladder than non-college graduates.