Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
The transmission fluid is more of a lubricant for the injector than a cleaner, as the injector cleaner also doubles as a lubricant. When I was a kid I remember my dad dumping tide into carburetors and inlet plenums to remove carbon buildup especially on yard trucks and local trucks. I'm too scared to try it.
I'm sure Tide would do just as well as Transmission fluid at cleaning injectors, except it would smell better.

Put it this way - if Tranny fluid was meant to be an injector cleaner, they would sell it as such - companies LOVE cross promoting their products. But, strangely, the Transmission fluid companies are silent on this. I wonder why........

I would hate to try and get a warranty claim through on an injector with transmission fluid residue all over it.

Shop: "What did you put in your fuel?"
You: "Transmission fluid"
Shop: "Why?"
You: "Cuz some guy on the internets told me to"
Shop: "Are you braindead??"
You: "Apparently"

:wink:
I guess I should add, I would not recommend adding tranny fluid to a truck under warranty, use the Lucas, however if its not under warranty go for it. I was the materials manager for Cummins when they first went to the N14/M11 Celect injectors and I dont ever recall any talk of injector cleaning or lubricating. I had all parts for the injectors, ECMs and major components of the fuel pump. The cup/nozzle is what needs to be kept clean and they never mentioned it. Also the clearances in the injector are so close you could insert the plunger into the metering barrel, then remove it, circle it with a magicmarker and try to reinsert and it would not fit. This precision is why they cost so much.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I put Isopropyl in my Tanks but Never put a Lubricant in them.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Board Regular

Does it make a difference if you use type "A" or type "F" or Dextron or ? I would think that they are quite different from each other but maybe not?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
The transmission fluid is more of a lubricant for the injector than a cleaner, as the injector cleaner also doubles as a lubricant. When I was a kid I remember my dad dumping tide into carburetors and inlet plenums to remove carbon buildup especially on yard trucks and local trucks. I'm too scared to try it.
I'm sure Tide would do just as well as Transmission fluid at cleaning injectors, except it would smell better.

Put it this way - if Tranny fluid was meant to be an injector cleaner, they would sell it as such - companies LOVE cross promoting their products. But, strangely, the Transmission fluid companies are silent on this. I wonder why........

I would hate to try and get a warranty claim through on an injector with transmission fluid residue all over it.

Shop: "What did you put in your fuel?"
You: "Transmission fluid"
Shop: "Why?"
You: "Cuz some guy on the internets told me to"
Shop: "Are you braindead??"
You: "Apparently"

:wink:

You should charge for this kind of entertainment :lol:
Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 PM

I have to differ to an extent. Tranny fluid is not a lubricant, its a friction inhibitor. Under extreme pressure, Tranny fluid is meant to hold the clutches and bands from slipping. Yes it does clean, and Ive heard of people putting it in everything to clean it out, oil, fuel, etc. But I have also been told that tranny fluid is not good for an electronic based injector where the tollerances are much higher than a mechanical. I was shown Bosch injectors that were severly scuffed and an owner that swore, all he ever used was Tranny fluid.

Type F,Dexron, ATF+3,4 are all forumulated differently. Some allow more slip, some allow more grip. I know in your fingers, it feels slippery, however under extreme pressure, it will hold. There is actually very little in an Auto tranny that need lubricated. A few bearings that dont have any real movement, so the loads are pretty minimal.

Im not tooting my Truck driver horn...LOL I would get some more facts before dumping her in with a newer engine.

BTW, just a trace of red will not land you with fines. Otherwise Marvel Mystery Oil wouldnt be red, because its also sold as a fuel treatment. The sample must be sent away for testing and come back positive for the chemical base of the dye used.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have used transmission fluid for many years and never had a problem. It seems to do the job. Whether the new ASERT type engines could have a problem with it, I couldn't say. I have never used it in one of them. All I can tell you is that I have had an injector clogged, put transmission fluid in and after a few miles it cleans out the injector where it is running smoothly again. I don't think it makes any difference what type of transmission fluid you use in this application. I believe I usually use Dextron III. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with their injectors using transmission fluid.

If you want to clean our radiator out just get some Cascade dish washing detergent and put it in your radiator. It does a good job of cleaning out the radiator at a fraction of the cost of commercial cleaners.

I do know some owner operators who have used gas in their diesel. They swear by it.

There are a number of things which may be used in lieu of commercially available products.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Board Icon

If you want to clean our radiator out just get some Cascade dish washing detergent and put it in your radiator

Yeah-I always heard that too but was chicken to do it
Old 11-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have found several dealers who use Cascade in the radiator to clean them out. I was rather shocked when I found out, considering what they charge you to do it. :shock: I had a dealer in Texas tell me that dish washing detergent works better than anything they have tried.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Board Regular

What about using 2-stroke motor oil? I would think it would be ideal as a lubricant as it is designed to burn cleanly and it also has great cleaning properties. You can get a gallon for just over 8 bucks at WallyWorld and maybe use a pint per tank like the transmission fluid?

I'm wondering if I might have a sticky injector. What happens is if I run up to (or over, braking down a hill) 1800 rpm a lot the engine starts taking a looooong time to rev down (about three times as long for about ten minutes afterwards?) when trying to shift - it gets almost impossible to shift uphill. It only seems to happen when the engine is warmed up over 160 degrees. Also a couple times when idling I caught it slowly reving up to a high idle when I was just sitting at a dock loading while it was already warm but not hot enough to activate the fan - then it would go slowly back down after a half minute. This is a 1995 11.1L Detroit 60 series that runs fantastic otherwise.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It doesn't sound like an injector to me. You may want to take it to someone and have them connect to your CPU. If it is an injector, they can tell right away. If it is something else, they can probably isolate it quickly. It doesn't usually cost much for them to connect to the computer. It is a quick way to diagnose or eliminate some potential problems.