Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LIGHT VS HEAVY LOAD AND FUEL MILEAGE

LOAD IT is offline Senior Board Member

Default LIGHT VS HEAVY LOAD AND FUEL MILEAGE

Has anyone computed fuel mileage on same truck, on same route, once hauling light, say 22000lbs, then hauling heavy, say 44000lbs. I know there is a savings I just dont know and havent computed the savings. I hope someone can save me some time.

marcel27208 is offline Senior Board Member

i do it almost every trip, i deadheaded 151 miles from greensboro NC to Covington VA took NC68 to 220N right into covington, avgd 7.2 mpg hauled 42300 paper load same route back to gboro and avgd 5.9

Dejanh is offline BANNED Senior Board Member

Well i can contribute to this post by posting some money figures as well.

When i run out of Charlotte, N.C. i 99% of the time go straight to Chicago( HYW 74/40/75/74/65/80-90 ). Ill stop and fuel in Gary,I.N. at that Flyin-J since i start out full from Charlotte(or near full).....diffrence between the lighter load(25 to even 35000) and those thay weigh more like bricks or whatnot is about 130$. Thats as close i got to understanding how a heavy load acctualy affects the buttom line so i try and stay away as much as i can. When booking a load a carefully examine where its going, how heavy it is and make my decision accordingly, sometimes it pays good but when computing the numbers it can acctualy hurt more that help..

solo379 is offline Senior Board Member

It depends on terrain you run. In a mountains, it will be around 1mpg difference, on a flat, just about 0.3mpg.
    Pessimist,- is just well informed optimist!

allan5oh is offline Senior Board Member

Solo it is definitely more then that. Problem is, even every trailer is a bit different. But back in my 'run' days going from winnipeg to minneapolis, I paid a lot of attention to fuel mileage. A full load was easily 1 mpg less then a light load.

Wind alone can make more difference to fuel mileage than weight. I remember getting 8 mpg one way, then 6 mpg the other way.

mike3fan is offline Senior Board Member

Detroit to Newark 1 mpg difference between 15k and 40k

solo379 is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by allan5oh

Wind alone can make more difference to fuel mileage than weight. I remember getting 8 mpg one way, then 6 mpg the other way.
    Yes, i agree. But i was talking on the all other things, being equal.
    Or at least, it's how it's in my experience. :roll:
    Pessimist,- is just well informed optimist!

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about targeting some shippers with foam and insulation loads and would like to get away from hauling 44-50K of steel and sticks. 1 mpg fuel savings is good enough for me if I can get the shippers to pay a decent rate and fsc. Thanks again.

floored Guest

My 2001 Peterbilt with a 500 Cat and a 13spd (if that matters) would get 7+ mpg at 75 mph while hauling 12,000 and under pound loads. The same truck would get less than 5 mpg hauling 40k loads at the same speed, slowing it down to 64mph would keep me at a 6mpg average with those heavy loads. This was running from CA to VA via 80 each week.

Hope this helps ya.

brian is offline Senior Board Member

5.6 in a w900 doing 75 and always close to the limit, I get around 7 when i`m running empty.

GMAN is offline Administrator Board Icon

What type of gears are you running, Brian?

3.36 and tall rubber

tweety bird is offline Senior Board Member

There are a lot of factors to consider- someone elses numbers aren't going to match yours. What engine you have, your rears, what type of trailer, tire wear. It all factors in.

We haul the same trailer and we hardly ever notice ANY change in fuel mileage. Okay, okay. If we're empty vs running 80,000 or more, there's a difference. Of course.

But we don't notice more than a few .s when we're running slow vs fast vs light vs heavy. But that's us.

NascarFan is offline Board Regular

2002 International 9900, C15 Cat 475HP, 13spd. Pulling a lowboy with a Cat 320 excavator 6.2mpg. Same truck and same route this time with a Cat 345 excavator 4.5 to maybe 4.8mpg.

Next question: What is the lightest cheapest load you would consider hauling if you had already decided to deadhead home? Lets assume the load was a partial going your way, easy on, easy off.

rank is offline Senior Board Member

I'd have a hard time letting myself do it for less than $2.00 a mile just on principle. I suppose I woud do it for $1.75 if it was zero miles out of route. We deadhead 450 miles home alot.

Basically I'm looking for $800-$1200 for the hassle (it's always at least another day added to the trip). Last week I screwed up and was 3 days. ops: This is no tarps and only 100 miles or so over and above my deadhead miles.

BanditsCousin is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by LOAD IT
    Next question: What is the lightest cheapest load you would consider hauling if you had already decided to deadhead home? Lets assume the load was a partial going your way, easy on, easy off.
    $1.60/mi, and if i was rrreeeaaallly desperate and it would fit in a van and went RIGHT by the house
    Mud, sweat, and gears

1.80 a mile, if I cant make a buck a mile i`ll quit again and run my wifes heavy hauling outfit.

Gibby is offline Rookie

well put it this way, if you get 6 mpg loaded and 6.9 empty (average) at $2.25/gal in a year it would make for 1,515 gals or $3,409.00 difference between loaded and light or empty.... based on 50% loaded heavy and loaded light, same route. Like my route, I run loaded one way empty on return. And I make 2.85/ loaded mile

billgrover56 is offline Rookie

Default Fuel Mileage

I have a fuel saving product that can help. It's called Ethos Fr (Fuel Re-Formulator). Without getting into a longwinded pitch I'll just say 1 ounce treats 10 gallons of fuel and you will see savings of at least 10-15% on average. It's been around for 10 years but they just started really marketing it since April of this year. I've got plenty of testamonials if anyone would like. Here's my info
    Bill Grover 585-880-4423 billgrover56@yahoo.com
    www.Ethosfr4u.com. It costs $0.78 to $1.21 / oz (depending upon quantity) but will save 3 times that in fuel economy.

22. This ad will disappear if you login

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast