User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 04:52 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default if you have your own authourity now what??

lk
Old 10-19-2006, 05:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: if you have your own authourity now what??

>please keep the bashing to a min.
OK. That will be tuff tho. I mean seriously....why didn't you become a stock broker....insurance salesman.....restaraunt or 7-11 franchise owner...anything would offer you a better return on investment and time for less risk than trucking. I know you researched your market in advance so you already know that trucking is a slim (to negative) margin business. And no good businessman gets INTO a slim margin business. But I digress. At least your truck is paid for. Your smarter than most.

>how do i get freight from other then a broker that offered me freight for 20% fee?
I'd say 20% wasn't bad. He's got the frieght and you don't. He's the guy that made 1,000,000 phone calls to 1,000 potential shippers to lock up that one guy.....so you could hold the steering wheel in a saturated market of guys just wanting to get home for free (or less).

>How do I make money in Portland?
make 1,000,000 phone calls and get some freight. Then hook up with some other carriers (they will think you're God and buy you breakfast because you have freight) then buy a warehouse and you will soon realize how to make money in trucking.

>how do i avoid leasing on to someone to be under their thumb?
make 1,000,000 phone calls and get some freight.

>i guess what im asking for is what do i do now to make sure i make money and dont get ripped off.
Brokers don't rip drivers off. Drivers rip drivers off. On any given Thursday, there's 1,000++++ drivers that need to be home to mow the lawn tomorrow. That's FREE MONEY for them. I won't even get into immigration issues.

>my truck is paid for and so is everything else.
As I said above, you're smarter than most. Hope you've got $10,000 set aside for maitenance.

>if someone screws me im parking it and going back to my 9-5.
I like that you ahve a backup plan, but I suggest finding out WHY and HOW they screwed you and not letting it happen again. If you bail at the first road block you never get anywhere.

Drivers are a commodity. They are less important than the freight they haul. Immigrants will do it for pennies. Companies will continue to use any and all means to reduce the cost. GET OUT.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Gcal, it seems to me as though you got the cart before the horse, as they used to say. It is usually a good idea to have business lined up and know how you are going to make money before buying a truck, trailer and spending all that money on insurance, base plates, etc.,

Unless you want to get out and start knocking on doors, you will need to use brokers. While I personally don't care for some brokers, there are a few who are honest. Consider the percent you pay them like a sales commission. You will pay a salesman to sell your services unless you do it yourself. And broker commissions can range from 10% to over 50% with some brokers. Most of the honest ones will be between 10-20%. The problem is that you may never know what the broker is making. He could be brokering the load from another broker. It may be dishonest, but there is more of this going on than most truckers realize. Most of the time, if a rate is really cheap, it is being double brokered. You either stay away from those who double broker or live with it.

If you don't want to deal with brokers, you need to print some business cards, put a contract together and start calling on those whom you want to do business. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Rereading my earlier post, I think I may have been a little rough on you....sorry about that. Good luck out there.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Gcal, it seems to me as though you got the cart before the horse, as they used to say. It is usually a good idea to have business lined up and know how you are going to make money before buying a truck, trailer and spending all that money on insurance, base plates, etc.,
WHAT?!?!?!?!? :shock:
Old 10-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Senior Board Member

You will have to start knocking on doors and making cold calls, go to all the industrial parks in your area and sell your services. When you are on the docks ask if the traffic person is at that location and talk about future hauling.

If you have a reefer trailer, associated brokers and select express which is the same company just different division, can keep you busy up and down the I-5 corridor at very competitive rates until you get your own customers.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:14 AM
Board Regular

First of all you need some humility.
Start with brokers.
There is nothing wrong with starting with CH Robinson and turning them into a mini landstar until you find the right brokers. Get a load from them and tell them you need another load etc. (I wouldn't even care what it paid for now you need some momentum)
The quicker you realize what you got yourself into the better.
One of the things you should have had was a list of reliable brokers from someone in the busness(even if you bought them from someone)
Now you are drifting.
The getloaded message board has load finding services.
That may help.
You can even ask on every truck message board for some decent brokers.
You can lose your shirt with direct shippers who may take 30,45 even 60 days to pay.
Do you know the laws, the procedures etc in dealing with a direct shipper?
Why did they pick you to do their trucking?
What happened to the people who were hauling for them last week?
What if they decided not to pay until you take them to court?
You need to get on loading docks make pick ups and deliveries and keep your eyes and ears open for opportunities.
Thats what is meant by knocking on doors.
If the broker gave you a pick up ask the shipper who brings the material in?
Its a lot easier to start some frivolous conversation on the loading dock
than making an appt to the shipping manager and given 5 minutes.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is nothing wrong with dealing with brokers, especially starting out. It might surprise you at how many of the large carriers who use brokers, even though many of them also broker loads themselves. Some have their own customers going out and broker loads coming back. Others survive solely on brokered loads. Some pay well while others do not. Regardless of whether you deal with brokers or shippers direct, there are benefits and drawbacks to both. You can always factor your receivables if you get into a cash crunch situation. It is difficult for a one man operation to sell, drive, handle the books, billing, collections, maintenance, etc., etc., I didn't say that it couldn't be done, but it can be a challenge. One of the most important attributes you need in business is flexibility.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member

if your needing some quick work mitchell brothers would probably take you on with your own authority, they mainly haul containers from portland to seattle and pay something like 85% of the load.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:14 AM
Board Regular

thank you for all the responses. you guys are great.