User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default O/O's: how much choice do you have in choosing loads?

Okay, I'm thinking that to get back on the road, I need to just bite the bullet and go full time. As soon as my business sells, I'll have the time to do it.

What I'm wondering is this: if I purchased or leased a truck, and then came on full time as an O/O with one of the big truck companies, would I be treated pretty much like a company driver ("you haul this load to this place or else") or would I have a fair bit of flexibility with dispatch to be able to request a different destination, etc...?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Board Icon

Well,I believe that will depend on who you will be leased to. Some companies are a forced dispatch,and some are non-forced dispatch. The forced dispatched companies will have you run what you are scheduled to run,and the non-forced dispatched companies can allow you to choose,and what not..When,and if you are going to own your own truck,look into companies that are a non-forced dispatch. You might want to look into the search option on top,and search for messages written by GMAN. From being a member here,and from what I have read over time,GMAN has written a lot of messages concerning owner opps,and leasing a truck to companies. He has a lot of inside help,info.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Board Regular

as an o/o they will give you the right to refuse loads because otherwise you are an employee. The guy who you just said no to now has to find another driver to run it and his supper is getting cold.

The dispatchers are the ones that control your money
its best to treat them like you are waiter in a high class restaurant
and they are your best customer.
If you want to make $$$ you have to kiss butt. sorry but true
Believe it or not you need to know if their married, how many kids,what sports do they play, does anybody fish hunt etc.
you must connect with them as soon as possible.
in any way you can
This is a busness.
You have to connect asap with the customers also.

and you are going to refuse a load?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

all depends on whether you're running on your own authority or a Companies Authority.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Board Regular

i am refering to leasing to a co
there are a bunch of tricks you can use to get better runs as a leased o/o once you have'connected with the dispatcher or one of the company's regular customers
Old 10-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Board Icon

I was saying this to the Author of this Thread
Old 10-11-2006, 02:02 AM
Rookie

Wise words! Keep 'em coming, I am listening, not just trying to have my cake and eat it too. Just want to learn what my options are so that years down the road, I don't smack myself and say, "Man, you mean I didn't have to do it that way???"
Old 10-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Chances are, you're still going to have a dispatcher as an o/o. Being an o/o doesn't mean all the freedom people think.

You don't like the load your dispatcher gives you, so you refuse it. Ya still gotta deal with that guy who gets your freight....see where I'm going with this? YOu could get your own authority, but your commitment level doesn't seem 100% into a career of trucking.

"You don't have to take every load; you can turn doesn trips. But keep in mind, you have to come back to town, and I have to reload you!" Quote- my old dispatcher
Old 10-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

How you are treated will be the result of how you conduct yourself and your attitude. I always figured that it is my truck, my fuel, so I am the one who decides whether I take a load or not. If you lease to a mileage pay carrier and they pay the same regardless of where you go, then it should not make a difference in where you run. On the other hand, if you lease to a carrier who pays percentage, it can make a difference where you run. Rates can vary according to where you run, type of freight, season, etc.,

Regardless of which type of carrier you lease with, constantly refusing loads can impact your ability to earn a living. It is good to get to know your dispatcher. Effective communication is vital to your success. You need to let them know how and where you prefer running. They may not always be able to give you exactly what you want, but if they are aware of your needs, and you keep a good attitude, you stand a better chance of getting what you want. Remember, the idea is to make a good living. This is a business. If you treat it as such, you have a much greater opportunity for success.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
How you are treated will be the result of how you conduct yourself and your attitude. I always figured that it is my truck, my fuel, so I am the one who decides whether I take a load or not. If you lease to a mileage pay carrier and they pay the same regardless of where you go, then it should not make a difference in where you run. On the other hand, if you lease to a carrier who pays percentage, it can make a difference where you run. Rates can vary according to where you run, type of freight, season, etc.,

Regardless of which type of carrier you lease with, constantly refusing loads can impact your ability to earn a living. It is good to get to know your dispatcher. Effective communication is vital to your success. You need to let them know how and where you prefer running. They may not always be able to give you exactly what you want, but if they are aware of your needs, and you keep a good attitude, you stand a better chance of getting what you want. Remember, the idea is to make a good living. This is a business. If you treat it as such, you have a much greater opportunity for success.
Thank you, Gman, for such a thoughtful and non-sarcastic answer! This is exactly the polite and helpful kind of attitude I tend to have with people. It's not always about me. I just need to know that I can at the very least expect to make some requests and have them heard now and then. Of course I wouldn't be saying "Only Disneyworld and Vegas or forget it!" to my dispatcher.

By the way: I hope you're getting paid somehow for all the time and effort you put in to this site...