Old 09-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You can get your own base plate, even if you are leased to a carrier, unless your lease agreement states otherwise. You will probably only need to give your state licensing agency a copy and your carrier will probably need to sign a form. Most carriers will require you to use their IFTA stickers and all permits such as your HUT will probably stay in the carrier's name as well. It has to do with who has authority. There is a difference between registration and title. Title shows ownership. Registration shows authority to operate on public roadways. Some carrier's will prorate your base-plates according to the day you either leave your carrier or get your own base plates. Some may do it monthly and others do it quarterly. I don't think that they are legally obligated to return any money to you for any unused time after you leave your carrier.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:42 AM

Regardless of who "had to" pay the taxes, you'd better make sure they are getting paid- because ULTIMATELY, YOU are the one responsible. If they aren't paying them, I don't think you can get off the hook by saying "well, they were SUPPOSED to pay it" or "they TOLD me they would pay it..."

I could be wrong on that but I doubt it.

A lot of people let the company provide the base plate and they pay a monthly fee- that way they don't have to pay one big lump sum. I prefer to pay the lump sum and have my very own plate that goes with me when I leave...

Although, I don't know of any regular-Joe insurance plan that will cover you unless you are between leases... anyone help on that one?

Check it out: REAL INFO ABOUT WEIGH STATIONS
Old 09-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Jug Joe
Regardless of who "had to" pay the taxes, you'd better make sure they are getting paid- because ULTIMATELY, YOU are the one responsible. If they aren't paying them, I don't think you can get off the hook by saying "well, they were SUPPOSED to pay it" or "they TOLD me they would pay it..."

You are absolutely correct!
My company pays for all that staff, no charge back, but i still demand, that they provide me, with the proof of payments!
Old 09-17-2006, 03:43 PM

I knew a guy who was a brand-spankin' new O/O who didn't now about the 2290. To be honest, that's the FIRST thing I knew about when I leased on to a company with my first truck. Anyway- he didn't pay it for almost a year (whatever state he was in didn't require proof of 2290 for the first registration year). THEN he expected his accountant to pay the interest and penalties on it.

COME ON, MAN! Since when does your accountant pay your permits? The 2290 is a tax, but it's more a permit than an income tax. Dumb.

Check it out: REAL INFO ABOUT WEIGH STATIONS
Old 09-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I talked to someone who finally gave me an answer. The company is paying all. Some off the company dispatchers just could not give me an answer at first. I found the right person to talk to and he told me what I needed to know. Thanks for the advice given
Old 10-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:

A lot of people let the company provide the base plate and they pay a monthly fee- that way they don't have to pay one big lump sum. I prefer to pay the lump sum and have my very own plate that goes with me when I leave...

Although, I don't know of any regular-Joe insurance plan that will cover you unless you are between leases... anyone help on that one?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:

The carrier whos name is on the registration is the one that's responsible.

No one else. He's also the one that has to report the miles travelled, fuel purchases etc.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Rookie

[/quote]The carrier whos name is on the registration is the one that's responsible.

No one else. He's also the one that has to report the miles traveled, fuel purchases etc.
[/quote]

So fellow truckers do we have a final word on this topic? I'm also confused right now as IFTA is due in just under 10days. I recently became an OWNER OPERATOR and ran for 3months under the authority and plates of the company I was leased to with their name on the registration. Just few days back we split with bitter memories and are under no speaking terms whatsoever and don't seem to have it any in future. Now here comes the funny part .... they never asked for any sort of logbooks for the trips which I did under their authority. YES, no logbooks or fuel receipts(even though I didn't their fuel card so they have no idea where I fueled and stuff) or anything of that matter for the last three months. No one ever raised the questioned ever. So being a "newbie" I'm a bit nervous and afraid as to what should I do now? Were they doing that to screw me over as from the very first trip we started having differences. Are/Were they trying to "get back" to me or its just carelessness on their part? Should I wait for the "non-payment" notice to show up or should I go ahead and file IFTA-QUARTERLY? I tried calling the owner of the previous company but being an @$$ he didn't answer and I'm sure anyone there would be of any help even if they decide to listen to me.

So should I file IFTA or face penalty or will I face penalty? And should I send them Log-Books? What are advantages and disadvantages of not submitting the logbooks to the company being an owner operator? Any help or suggestions fellow road-warrior? :?: :cry: :?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Board Icon

[quote="NOTR"]So fellow truckers do we have a final word on this topic? [quote]

Generally, if you are leased to a carrier, they file your IFTA as a convenience for you. Some will even absorb the cost (which is usually next to nothing).

If your company is refusing to pay the IFTA, then the responsibility falls on your shoulders. It would be better to overpay than to underpay, imo.