User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CA BIT PROGRAM

Hello! I was wondering if i can get some helpful info on the BIT program for owner operators....Such as what to expect when inspected by the CHP, and what they will be looking for during inspection...
Any info will be help full and appreciated
Old 09-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Never heard of BIT program-must be a new thing. Don't know what that is.
California is very thorough with their Inspections-Typical stuff like Slack Adjusters adjustments-Thickness of Pads-Oil underneath the truck(That's why it pays to go to a Truck Wash prior to enterning CA.-Log books-Etc Etc.

Get the California sticker is a VALUEABLE thing to have-If you've got all your ducks in a Row and your truck is Up to Snuff Just tell em you want a full inspection. Once you get the Sticker you're in Great shape.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Rookie

after doing some research on the NET here is a .pdf file i found regarding the CA BIT PROGRAM...But one thing i didnt see listed on the .pdf file is the drug test...I heard from a couple of CA owner operators that CHP requires owner operators to be enrolled in some kind of drug/alchol class...Im not sure if this is true since it doesnt say anything about drug/alchol on this site, but for any CA owner operators that know about this more then i do please reply with any helpfull info since i will be running in CA 90% of my runs....HERE IS THE PDF FILE FOR THOSE WHO MIGHT WANT TO SEE IT......

http://www.chp.ca.gov/pdf/bit.pdf#search='chp%20bit%20program'
Old 09-10-2006, 03:24 PM

Ca. Rope around my neck Trucker here.

Yes , you will need to be in a drug program. I'm in CalData, and they have been OK with random tests on a lottery basis.... I'm told.
The BIT inspections are like most other truck inspections except they will want to see maint. records and a log book, even if you truck locally.

Oh, and only go over 55 mph... if your feeling lucky.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Rookie

are those drug classes expensive? I mean i really dont got the time for that....I've spoke to a few O/O's here in CA and they said when CHP wants a drug test they go to their local clinic and take the test their, and they send it out to a lab and get the results back in 3 days or so.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have not heard of an owner operator being required to be involved in any sort of drug testing program. If you are running your own authority, you are required to be involved in a drug testing program. There are consortium's which you can join. If you are leased to a carrier, it is not something you should need do yourself, since the carrier will be the one who is responsible.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I just enrolled in the program. In order to obtain a Motor Carrier Permit in CA you must be enrolled in a random drug test program (if you need one I can get you a #) and also be part of the BIT program. Cost is about $60 a year depending on who you use for the drug program. You don't go to any classes, you are just in a random "pool" just as if you were an employee of any company that does drug testing at random. Now if you have trucks that do not require a class A license you don't need to enroll in the BIT program or the random drug testing.

As far as the BIT inspections, I was told by CHP that they are also done at random and a CHP commercial officer will call you ahead of time to set up an appoitment with you to go over log books (if applicable), maintance records, employee records (MVRs, ect) to name a few. They give you a print out of what you must keep on file when you first sign up for the program, and it's really not as bad as it sounds. I had to enroll in order to get my CA #. It has nothing to do with where the trucks are kept, more of where the paperwork is. Hope this helps. You can always go into any CHP commerical office and I'm sure you can find an officer to assist you further, the one I delt with in Rancho Cordova was very helpful and friendly.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Rookie

Oh i see....If its not to much trouble if you can provide me with the # to the drug program so i can call and enroll, thanks....I just got my CA # a few weeks ago and CHP told me it will take 6-24 months until im called out for a BIT inspection...Do i have to take the drug test before CHP does the BIT inspection? Or is that a completly different thing thats done at random?

And GMAN i think this whole BIT PROGRAM crap is only done in CA. thats probably why you havent heard of it....
Old 09-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrus
Do i have to take the drug test before CHP does the BIT inspection? Or is that a completly different thing thats done at random?
Different thing done at random. Same deal as if you worked at Fedex or Swift or even Home Depot. If your name comes up in the monthly lottery, you go pee in a cup,if its not choosen you don't have to do anything. I know guys who haven't had a single test in 4 years, and others who had 3 tests in 3 months. You only go in if they contact you. Nothing to get worried about. I'll PM the # to you later today. =)
Old 09-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It sounds like California is doing pretty much the same thing as what the Feds do during an audit, but it is only for California based carriers with their own CA MC number.