View Poll Results: Is it legal to go around the scales?
yes 13 40.63%
no 19 59.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Only time I've passed them is when traffic conditions wouldn't let me over or the scales state otherwise, ie, yesterday on I-495 (Capitol beltway yesterday) or one that states when scale is full to bypass it. 99% of the time I've pulled in though.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Bypassing Casaic CA Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroqueman
[ In Ca many of the locals complain about trucks by passing the scales in Santa Clarita using the frontage roads right in front of the scales, however Ca Dot says it's a perfectly legal route and there is nothing they can do about it.

Just an update on bypassing the Santa Clarita scales on the frontage road. That road is marked as a 7,000 lb weight limit. The road also takes you right by CHP's front door. I would not recommend that bypass route for that scale.
My fault not the side where the scales are but the south side of the interstate the old highway road, however it's been a while since i needed to use that road maybe it has changed.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Legal....maybe...fast....no!

I try to keep my books up to date and BOL's ready anytime on the road in case I get pulled in. The better prepared you are at the scale house, the less likely you'll get a lever 1,2, or 3 inspection. Last night at the Manchester, TN scale, they were opening each drivers door! When they saw my paperwork/insurance/BOL's ready to roll, they waved me through after climbing up and peeking in the sleeper. Took me 20 min to get through that scale :x

BTW- If you bypass the Manchester scale- you're an idiot. I did that with a straight truck a few years ago and that was horrible!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:40 PM

Now, see, that's the kind of thing that really pisses me off. I probably would have gotten pulled around back because I keep my door locked and I don't beleive that they have the right to open your door and look in your truck without a warrant. I would have expressed that belief and since cops are not famous for their tolerance to disagreement I expect I would have done a Level 1.

Of course I would also have felt good about making them adhere to the Constitution.
OOIDA Member #763478
Old 07-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Senior Board Member

True, but the DOT has the right to inspect any truck they wish. Besides, if I was a cop, and someone refused to open, the first thing I would suspect if that the driver is hiding something :wink: I play "yes sir" "No sir" and, as it played out, worked well for me. The harder the time you give them, the harder time they give you.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:11 PM

Oh, I understand that. And for the record there's nothing in my truck that I would care if they found, but I'm a firm believer in keeping them honest. Refusal of a search request is not probably cause and any judge in the country would laugh them out of the courtroom if they asked. Will this tactic get you back on the road with maximum speed and minimum hassle? No.

I might be wrong but I expect yoopr would do the same.
OOIDA Member #763478
Old 07-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Board Regular
Default Opening the door

I have heard both side of the right to search arguement. I will no longer agree to have anybody look in my truck. I was pulled over one night and the officer accused me of running 93 mph. I had my cruise control set at 76 mph. The KS speed limit was 70. I grabbed my phone and started to dial. It was 0300. I guess the cop thought it was a little weird that I was calling someone at that hour. I told him that I was calling my compnay so they could run a speed audit off the Qualcom (total BS). I then informed him that my truck was gearbound at 87 mph and as he could see were on flat ground. (more BS). He cahnged his tune real quick.
"How about I give you a warning." He then wanted to search the truck. I informed him that my wife was asleep in the back. He jumped up on the running board and started to look around. So let's see, an officer tries to railroad me on a speeding ticket he knew was BS. I could have watched him pull a bag of cocain out of his pocket, throw it in the truck, and boom - I am in jail.

If someone wants to search the truck, they will have to have another officer from another agency with them. That is the only way I would ever consent to a search. I have been told by police officers that your refusal to consent to a search, cannot stand as probable cause to seach you. The officer has to have some probable cause to search ypu.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Heck, the officer at the Ashland OR scale TOLD me how to get around the scale... as did a TX DOT officer regarding the Huntsville scale...

If I'm on a legal truck route, I don't sweat it. If I'm NOT on a legal truck route, I only sweat it a little teensy bit. As long as it's good road, I don't feel any guilt!
Old 07-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Rookie

speaking of inspections, what are the levels of inspections and what do they entail/what are the differences?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:18 PM

After I had a TX DOT search my truck I will never allow a officer to search my truck again without probible cause. I consented to a search because I have nothing to hide from them and after thier search was done and they turned up nothing, not even a light burned out. My truck was completely destroyed, my movies and clothes were all over my sleeper my paperwork was all over the cab, and they crawled all over the load and crushed some of the boxes that ended up being refused. When I saw what they had done I had thier supervisor meet me at the next truck stop in Willis TX and he told me that they did not have to put anything back and they could do whatever they felt was nessary to complete their search.