Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Have felony - need 2nd chance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/40953-have-felony-need-2nd-chance.html)

brixniv 02-21-2011 05:23 PM

Have felony - need 2nd chance

I have a "white collar" felony from 2009. I'm 47 and had no legal issues prior to 2009. I have 2 speeding tickets in 3 years and never been in an accident. I'm starting over and recently graduated from a PTDI school. I thought I did my "due diligence" before I went to school and was told trucking companies hire felons. What I wasn't told was that companies want the felony to be 5-10 years old. Does anyone believe in 2nd chances? Any help would be greatfully appreaciated. I'm divorced and my children are grown. I have nothing keeping from being out for weeks at a time or relocating anywhere in the US. Will my job chances be greater in a team driving situation or lease-purchase? Help! I just want to get started in the industry.

strawberryrhubarbpie 02-21-2011 06:25 PM

How many companies have you called? There are literally thousands of trucking companies, I would get on the phone and start calling every one that I can find a phone number for. Ask them the same questions you asked here even if they say no. Usually the recruiter is helpful and can give you more information.

I'm getting ready to go to driving school myself so I really don't know the answer to your question, sorry. But my best advice to you is DON'T GIVE UP!!

Mr. Ford95 02-21-2011 09:47 PM

Unfortunately most all of the starter companies(Swift, JB, Werner, Schneider, etc) don't want any recent felony deals with a potential driver. Your probably going to have to look off the beaten path to find something like a small mom and pop company that will hire you with zero experience. Not saying it won't happen but it's tough to find something like that when you don't have a year or two or more under your belt already.

Orangetxguy 02-21-2011 09:59 PM

I would suggest CRST. I talked with one of their "Training Trucks" in Marion IN a few weeks ago, and the guy who was in training was 7 weeks out of prison. Of course....being a "white collar" felon....you may be smarter than some of the felons.....errrrrr......FELLOWS...that are running some of these trucking companies.

Mackman 02-22-2011 12:13 AM

What ever you do. DO NOT lease anything from any trucking company.

Snowman7 02-22-2011 03:41 AM

Try Trans America and take Mackman's advice!

repete 02-22-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 494111)
What ever you do. DO NOT lease anything from any trucking company.

I can't give any other advice , but I second this! STAY AWAY FROM A LEASE

GMAN 02-23-2011 01:36 AM

The type of felony can also be a factor when carriers consider hiring a new driver. I don't know where you live, but California at one time had a program to assist felons get into this business. There could be other states that have programs. You may check with your local state employment office and see if they might help you in placement. Your school should also have some leads. Since they took your money they should provide some assistance.

rob2mll 02-28-2011 12:13 PM

I feel for you. Having had a felony myself it has been very hard to get hired on. I went through school 5 years ago, and was told "oh your felony won't stop you." Yeah right. All the major carriers I talked to told me my Felony had to be 10 years old for insurance reasons. So to bide my time, I drove truck for local companies like sand and gravel outfits. They usually pay 10-13.00/hour to start. Not bad money and your home every night. I have also recently found out that now that my felony is over 10 years old Companies like CR England will take you on without alot of OTR. Sorry I couldn't have better news, but this is just what those 1000 companies I've called over the years have told me. Good luck to you.