Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Terminated at last job : ( (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/40013-terminated-last-job.html)

AsphaltVoyager 06-07-2010 08:44 PM

Terminated at last job : (

Twice now I have had companies tell me that they can't hire me due to having been terminated at my last driving job, which will show up as such on my DAC, undoubtedly. My last driving job ended in Jan. '07.

It's been suggested by some that I look at a local job to get back into trucking. However, Kentucky isn't exactly a hotbed for hiring of any sort, regardless what industry, so I don't really see that as an option.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've GOT TO get back into trucking. It's the only thing I can count on to give me a steady income without the job getting outsourced. Eventually, I'll get my own truck, but that's not an option right now. (When it does become an option, however, the super resources available here as information will be invaluable. MANY thanks to Gman, Merrick4, Sonny P, Steve, Loadit and the rest for the excellent posts.)

Malaki86 06-07-2010 09:48 PM

It depends on why they terminated you. Did you roll the truck? Too many "small" accidents/incidents? Beat some sense into your dispatcher (literally)?

Roadhog 06-07-2010 09:56 PM

I was just gonna ask the same thing. What were you fired for? http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nd10/shrug.gif

AsphaltVoyager 06-07-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 481990)
I was just gonna ask the same thing. What were you fired for? http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nd10/shrug.gif

They had a clause in their hiring paperwork that said if you have an accident with damages that exceed $5k, you "can" be terminated. Sure enough, my only real accident and it was almost $8k from what they told me.

The 2 companies I talked with that said they couldn't hire me made no differentiation between reasons for termination at the prior job. Their only take on it was whether I'd been terminated. PERIOD. I guess it wouldn't matter if I got fired for flipping the company owner off and mooned his wife. Terminated is terminated, all the same. The two companies were JBH and CRST.

The accident was a rear-end on a 16-y.o. unlicensed driver who suddenly remembered that THIS is where she was supposed to turn. 60 MPH, empty trailer (no downforce on the trailer tandems for better braking) going through Ruidoso, NM to pick up a load in Clovis from El Paso.

Jay B 06-07-2010 10:21 PM

You have a rear ender? Dude, repeat after me: "Would you like to supersize that order, sir?"

AsphaltVoyager 06-07-2010 10:30 PM

Gee. Jay.... thanks for the constructive suggestion.:flame:

Roadhog 06-07-2010 10:41 PM

Well...yeah... a rear ender is bad news...but it's not like you were fired for a criminal offense. (theft, assault, mooning the Boss, going to Vegas with his wife and credit cards)
Being involved in an accident is every truckers worst nightmare.

But you say these National companies don't even care what the circumstances were.
My guess is you can thank the lawyers for this.

If the new employer contacts the old employer, in some States it is illegal for the old employer to give out detailed information as to why you were fired.
If he does give out this information, he can be sued.

Some States, in fact, have passed laws protecting previous employer from liability when they make a good faith effort to communicate to a prospective employer the factual reasons why an employee was terminated, even if it reflects poorly on the employee.

These National Companies may not have much going for them in dealing with various State laws. They may have decided it's just best to disqualify anyone with a termination from a past employer.

Look for smaller companies, or Intrastate and local trucking, and see if you can at least get an interview with them.

AsphaltVoyager 06-07-2010 10:55 PM

Thanks, Roadhog. I guess what I am really looking for is advice on specific companies to try. As I said, Kentucky's not a hotbed of hiring activity, no matter if we're talking about McJobs or trucking. I DID see one job with RJ Corman I'll check into tomorrow. It's a combination railroad laborer/CDL driver job and I know RJC pays his folks very well. He owns a few spur lines in the region. Problem is... getting my CDL back if I can't find someone to assist who's already a licensed CDL driver. Can't rent a truck without a CDL and can't get the CDL without a truck.:roll:
And yes... all I could think of as that truck wasn't stopping was the 4-wheeler's life was at stake and it was a thought I did NOT want to live with. I am more thankful than you can imagine that she was able to walk away.

Roadhog 06-07-2010 11:10 PM

Wish I could advise, but the way things are changing these days, it's all madness anymore, and you don't see much common sense.

In Michigan, I was able to go to Star Truck Rental. There you can rent the Truck w/insurance just for the State CDL road test, and they schedule the State examiner. It cost me $250.

That's how I got my license, and at least here you can still do that. (I think Star Truck is only Michigan)
I don't know if any rental companies in your State can do the same thing.

I can understand you seeking the job without the license, with the reasoning, maybe the new Boss will provide the truck?
I've known guy's here take that approach too. Maybe check with some farmers in your area.
Lots of these farmers have their own big rigs for harvest. Single O/O's who have their truck parked, because there is no money in freight right now... etc.

You've given yourself about the best advise any of us can give... just keep trying.
Maybe someone has some companies to suggest, but again, what their policies were a year ago, may be totally different today.

Sealord 06-08-2010 12:08 PM

Terminated

Have you considered leaving a slow employment state and relocating to better prospects like the oil and gas patch states of Wyoming or North Dakota? If employment isn't where you are, go where the jobs are. When trucking companies don't have enought butts for seats, rules loosen. BOL