Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Fasting before the DOT physical??? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/35585-fasting-before-dot-physical.html)

jmazz 09-17-2008 03:36 PM

Fasting before the DOT physical???

I'm getting ready to start with an OTR Co. next week and was going through all the instructions, "items to bring," etc. and came across one item that I found to be interesting. They claim that many drivers fail the DOT physical because they didn't fast the night before. I thought that was odd because as a limo driver I've had a DOT card for 5 years and never heard of this before. My wife is a nurse and she thinks they are trying to snag borderline diabetics. Any thoughts?

tweety bird 09-17-2008 03:48 PM

I think your wife is right. I know quite a few folks who will fail if they eat breakfast so they don't eat until after they go for their physical.

belpre122 09-17-2008 04:01 PM

Re: Fasting before the DOT physical???

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmazz
My wife is a nurse and she thinks they are trying to snag borderline diabetics. Any thoughts?

You've got a smart lady there.

RR9501 09-17-2008 04:07 PM

well, i've never heard of this either, i've passed all mine so far, i've come close because as i got older my blood pressure's gotten higher and im afraid to take meds to control it cause im afraid i'd fail or be revoked my cdl....and unfortunatly diabetes runs in my family so i tend to watch it more...it scares the hell outta me...i dont want to lose my career over this....buti get really nervous at DOT physicals and i cant control my BP level...
now as far as fasting, what exactly is that doing to the body?

kwantz 09-17-2008 04:34 PM

all I can see fasting helping with, is lowering your glycogen levals. Sugar levals.

kwantz 09-17-2008 04:36 PM

also possibly if you fast, you will have lower protein levals in your urine. Lower levals of protein show that your liver is functioning well. if you have high protein levals in your urine, your liver is not doing the job right by metabolizing proteins.

the only reason you should fast, is if you are over weight, out of shape, do not live a healthy life style or have a family history if diabetes. If you keep yourself in good shape, eat clean, you shouldnt even have to worry about fasting at all. Just take care of your body.

jmazz 09-17-2008 04:57 PM

Reply to RR9501: DOT physical

I understand your concern over DOT physicals, I personally don't trust the bastards that test you. I've had several INACCURATE urine tests done at these "turn em & burn em" clinics that your DOT carrier will send you to and had to clear it up both times the next day with my family physician, who routinely does DOT physicals. Unfortunately, your trucking company will obviously not allow you to get your own physical done. I was lucky before as a limo driver because my boss didn't give a damn where I got it done as long as I had a valid DOT card in my wallet. BTW what kwantz said is true, fasting the night before will reduce your blood sugar to avoid blowing the urinalysis the next morning. Also, if you're concerned about your BP during a test, don't take any cold / allergy medicine or caffeine 12 hours prior, it can jack up your blood pressure. And don't worry about having to take meds to treat your hypertension - it's important to get it under control because your health is more important than any job. Plus I would think that your employer would still keep or hire you as long as your BP is under control with medicine.

RR9501 09-17-2008 05:59 PM

well i apetiate all your help, and future help as well...im sure it will make an impact,.,,thanks
i will attempt the fasting the night b4 next time...and yea unfortunatly im overweight and out of shape but i cant seem to get it under control, but im more worried about my BP and the chance of diabetes...is there something i can take over the counter to lower my BP and lower my chances of diabetes since it runs in the family?? without failing a DOT physical or having the state rip my CDL from me??...thanks

tweety bird 09-17-2008 06:18 PM

Re: Reply to RR9501: DOT physical

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmazz
I've had several INACCURATE urine tests done at these "turn em & burn em" clinics that your DOT carrier will send you to and had to clear it up both times the next day with my family physician, who routinely does DOT physicals.

Makes you hope they don't send you there for your random!

Uturn2001 09-17-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RR9501
well i apetiate all your help, and future help as well...im sure it will make an impact,.,,thanks
i will attempt the fasting the night b4 next time...and yea unfortunatly im overweight and out of shape but i cant seem to get it under control, but im more worried about my BP and the chance of diabetes...is there something i can take over the counter to lower my BP and lower my chances of diabetes since it runs in the family?? without failing a DOT physical or having the state rip my CDL from me??...thanks

Watch your sodium intake. Eliminate caffiene. Drink lot of water. Limit but do not eliminate starchy foods (breads, pastas, rice, potatoes, etc) Get lots of exercise. Start immediately. It will take a few days before you really see any results and there is a chance of things getting a little worse the first couple of days before getting a lot better.

When it comes to catching borderline diabetics it often is not what they had for breakfast the day of the physical that gets them, but what they ate the day or two before that raises the flag. While loading up on pancakes and hash browns or eating several donuts the morning of the physical will raise your blood sugar it may or may not have time to spill over into your urine, but if your sugar levels were high for the past day or two it will have had more than enough time to show up.

Lets face it. If a person is at risk for hypertension (high blood pressure) and/or diabetes the time to do something about it is BEFORE you get it, not after you fail a physical. Beyond diet and exercise one very important thing you should do is get a meter to test yourself regularly to monitor your potential condition. You can get a gulcose monitor for free online and a blood pressure monitor for under $50 at most pharmacies, Wal Mart, etc.