Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Do companies hire felons? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34692-do-companies-hire-felons.html)

djgrial 07-21-2008 03:29 AM

Do companies hire felons?

I'm going to truck driving school and I'm wondering if a company will hire me if I have a 2006 felony conviction. I've read where they look down upon people with drug convictions. I was busted for transporting illegal aliens in my personal vehicle. Please advice. :?:

ohiomohawk 07-21-2008 03:47 AM

Re: Do companies hire felons?

Quote:

Originally Posted by djgrial
I'm going to truck driving school and I'm wondering if a company will hire me if I have a 2006 felony conviction. I've read where they look down upon people with drug convictions. I was busted for transporting illegal aliens in my personal vehicle. Please advice. :?:

You are better off calling different trucking companies and asking them. I have a bad feeling you will get slammed in this forum. Good luck.

Did you ask the truck driving school about this?

There are some truck driving schools that will tell you that you can find a job no matter what the situation so they can reach in your pockets and snatch out $4,000 or more.

Mackman 07-21-2008 04:11 AM

Quote:

I was busted for transporting illegal aliens in my personal vehicle.

What a good guy. Just doing his part to help KILL THE USA.

matcat 07-21-2008 04:15 AM

Hrm, a felony for transporting illegals, and you are trying to get into driving a truck? Well personally I am one that believes that people deserve a second chance, but honestly it just doesn't look good. I know if I was in charge of hiring and I saw that on someones app, my first thought would be, "Yeah, like I'm going to hire someone to drive all over the US including the borders, and give them a chance to haul a 53 foot trailer full of illegals"

wimpy 07-21-2008 04:45 AM

Hee Hee, here we go I gotta front seat for this one!!!

Colts Fan 07-21-2008 05:12 AM

LOL! :lol:

This guy is full of crap. He's just trying to get a rise out of us.

charged 07-21-2008 11:08 AM

Why worry about who will hire you? Just start up your own company. You'll make more money and be your own boss if you have enough to get set up.

GMAN 07-21-2008 11:35 AM

Each carrier makes their own rules concerning felony convictions. Some will hire a driver after 5 years or longer since the conviction. Other companies won't hire a felon, regardless. You just need to get on the phone and start calling carriers. Quite a few are listed on this forum under the company listings. Most list their policy concerning felonies. I would have a carrier lined up before paying for school. You could find yourself with a CDL and no place to go. If this occurred in a commercial vehicle you would be dead in the water. Since it was in a personal vehicle you may find a company who will give you a chance. Transporting illegals is a serious offense. If you applied to me I would probably wonder if you would transport illegals in my truck. I won't jeopardize my business for anyone. Without driving experience you are somewhat limited as to will hire you. Having the felony conviction reduces your pool of companies further. The best thing you can do is make some phone calls.

Sealord 07-21-2008 12:14 PM

Felon

Don't bother about getting a hazmat endorsement or applying for a TWIC or TSA letter. I really hope you're not butt in seat yet as far as the school. You may be better off to wait ten years after your probation is up before you try the commercial driver route. OTW, have a signed letter from the HR department head stating the company you want to work for will hirer you. BOL

BigDiesel 07-21-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Were the illegals also midget wrestlers ???