Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Cummins, Cat, and Detroit vs. Volvo and Mercedes (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/29130-cummins-cat-detroit-vs-volvo-mercedes.html)

Midnight Flyer 08-21-2007 07:55 PM

Cummins, Cat, and Detroit vs. Volvo and Mercedes

:D As everyone well knows anytime you see a truck barrelling down the highway chances are it's either powered by a Cat, Cummins, or Detroit engine but now we're seeing more trucks advertised as being powered by Mercedes (Freightliner trucks) or Volvo. Anyone know how these engines hold up as compared to the Big Three? 8)

GMAN 08-21-2007 10:09 PM

I have heard more negatives than positives about the Mercedes engine. I don't recall hearing any negative experience about the Volvo engines. The down side to either is getting parts in case of a breakdown. I almost bought a Volvo several years ago with the Volvo engine. I decided against the purchase because I would have needed to find a Volvo dealer to have most engine work performed.

allan5oh 08-21-2007 10:20 PM

I think the volvo is not a bad engine, although I would stay away from the EGR engine(or any EGR engine for that matter).

It gets fantastic fuel mileage, but it's a little gutless.

Other then a rebuild, mine has been rock solid with almost a million miles on it.

Not a fan of the MB engines, their blocks are aluminum. No diesel block should be aluminum.

PackRatTDI 08-22-2007 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh
I think the volvo is not a bad engine, although I would stay away from the EGR engine(or any EGR engine for that matter).

Other then a rebuild, mine has been rock solid with almost a million miles on it.

Not a fan of the MB engines, their blocks are aluminum. No diesel block should be aluminum.

Volvo needs to bring the 660hp version of the D16 over here.

silvan 08-23-2007 01:41 AM

Re: Cummins, Cat, and Detroit vs. Volvo and Mercedes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
Anyone know how these engines hold up as compared to the Big Three? 8)

I seem to recall that Detroits are Mercedes now.

proffit 08-23-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh

Volvo needs to bring the 660hp version of the D16 over here.

the volvo's do get great milage, no doubt about that, but i would never say thier gutless, far from it to be exact..... anyhow why do u think they need a 660 hp truck???? the 625's get shitty enough gas milage with more then enough power, and if u need the power and torque, please tell me the road # your driving down, since ive yet to see a 35% grade more then a hundred feet let alone miles long.

Jackrabbit379 08-23-2007 04:59 PM

I'd go with Perkins. :P :lol:

COLT 08-23-2007 09:31 PM

anyhow why do u think they need a 660 hp truck????

35% Grade? "proffit" Try 140,000 lbs up a 7% grade on ice, YOU, can have your 11 lit. fuel efficient engines,... you will be saveing fuel waiting for spring... or spending all your profit on chains... Big h.p. is for a reason

TK THE TRUCKER 08-24-2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
I'd go with Perkins. :P :lol:

Kubota engines are pretty good too, are we talking about trucks or commercial mowers? :lol:

A few years ago I was specing a truck for the company I worked for. I stayed away from the Mercedes engine because the dealership said it taking them a lot longer to get parts for them compared to the other engines. I wasn't really considering the Mercedes anyways. I was set on a kitty cat. And I mean kitty cat, C7 300 hp to be exact. :) :)