User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2016, 02:53 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Which truck brand is the most reliable/durable?

If I were an owner/op looking to buy a brand new truck, and I wanted to break the world record for accumulating the highest mileage on any vehicle ever (I believe I saw a 60's model truck on youtube with over 8 million), what would be the best band to buy? I'd want reliablilty in that it wouldn't be stuck in the shop all the time instead of on the road making money, and durability in that it'll still hold up many years and millions of miles later.

I realize there would be plenty of routine maintanence like oil changes (regular oil changes are key for getting any vehicle to last), tire changes, brake jobs and eventually engine/transmission rebuilds, etc. Also, comfort is not that big of an issue. I'd rather drive a reliable rough-riding rattletrap with a small sleeper that runs forever than a smooth, quiet, large sleeper that'll wear out in just a few years.

Ps., I'm not actually an owner/op, this is just a hypothetical question. I am wanting to know which brand would be the best as far as this situation goes, however.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Also, comfort is not that big of an issue. I'd rather drive a reliable rough-riding rattletrap with a small sleeper that runs forever than a smooth, quiet, large sleeper that'll wear out in just a few years.

)
I think you'd change your mind fairly quickly, a rough riding truck is no fun and tires you out quickly.
But to your question who really knows? Some will say Mack some KW ectra. In my opinion few if any of the trucks available today would be a good 'forever' truck, to much high tech stuff that when it does go bad it's real BAD.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 07-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Board Icon

Of the brands, several are different badging but the same parent company..........

There is not a good answer on this. It's just like regular cars, every brand has its lemons or its great ones, potluck. I've seen people say Freightliner are junk and won't last. But others say they are bare bones, tough trucks that you can't kill........ Same with all the others, too many variables come into play to stake a claim of which is truly the best, longest lasting brand on the road.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:52 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Of the brands, several are different badging but the same parent company..........

There is not a good answer on this. It's just like regular cars, every brand has its lemons or its great ones, potluck.

Yes in the noncommercial world, Toyota and Honda are said to be exetremely reliable. I drive a Toyota Camry with 231k miles, and it drives as good as it ever has. The air conditioner works like a dream, and all I ever have to do is change the oil (and the air filters and tires every once in a while). I'm a firm believer that some brands are indeed better than others.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have owned several brands and have gotten the best service from International. I did like Peterbilt and KW, but the International has given the best all around service. You can find different drivers with their preferences. Reliability comes more from how you treat and service the truck than the brand. Seats can make a big difference in the ride, as can the wheelbase. You have to also consider driver amenities, such as sleeper size and comfort, cabinets, closets, etc.,
Old 07-25-2016, 12:15 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

the best answer is... Kenworth
but if you can't afford KW, next best is... Peterbilt

then Volvo... and the rest.

Trump 2016

Old 07-25-2016, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

loaded question. if you could get a new FLD i'd say that might be in the running. motor wise i hear s60 Detroits but never owned one. i would love to say a columbia but... with the crappy dash board layout.. i'd say no. that would leave what i'd say pete or kw.. 389/w900/t800. i'd only get a glider again, with a Detroit or cat. i've had amazing luck with my cat. you have to be on top of it and watch how you drive it or she'll drink a bit more but i can't complain at all.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
If I were an owner/op looking to buy a brand new truck, and I wanted to break the world record for accumulating the highest mileage on any vehicle ever (I believe I saw a 60's model truck on youtube with over 8 million), what would be the best band to buy? I'd want reliablilty in that it wouldn't be stuck in the shop all the time instead of on the road making money, and durability in that it'll still hold up many years and millions of miles later.

I realize there would be plenty of routine maintanence like oil changes (regular oil changes are key for getting any vehicle to last), tire changes, brake jobs and eventually engine/transmission rebuilds, etc. Also, comfort is not that big of an issue. I'd rather drive a reliable rough-riding rattletrap with a small sleeper that runs forever than a smooth, quiet, large sleeper that'll wear out in just a few years.

Ps., I'm not actually an owner/op, this is just a hypothetical question. I am wanting to know which brand would be the best as far as this situation goes, however.
in the entire scope of things, nearly all trucks are mongrels these days. there was a time when a Mack was 100% Mack. now you can get a Mack with nearly any running gear maker brand.

to have a long lasting truck is not only dependant on running gear, but the foundation...the frame and how it is assembled and supported. how many cross members, huck bolts as compared to nuts/bolts or rivets. then the steel used in that frame. is it American steel or recycled Chinese steel.

how is the truck used, on road, off road? how is it driven, with kid gloves, or abused?

how is the PM done, on time, or skipped from time to time?

how is it loaded, under max, or up to max, or over loaded?

what type (or brand of fuel is used, cheapo crap from a broken down truck stop or higher priced from the chains?

what types of motor oil, dino, semi synthetic or full synthetic?

too many variables to say which is the best.

with the best of all conditions, they are all the best.

i have driven nearly every brand of truck except for Scania.

i have driven many different engines, Mack, Volvo, CAT, Detroit, Cummins, International.

as a truck driver, i drive what is given me.

as an o/o, i pick a running gear combo that'll work, and have a long life.

body components mean nothing to me, bottom line dollars to buy one does. i need not spend more than necessary to get down the road. i need not look pretty, as pretty does not garner the loads, the driver and his abilities do.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:10 PM
Senior Board Member

A lot has to do with how much attention is paid to details when spec'ing a truck. Off the lot stuff is a no go in my book. Put in some time on researching components and spec things properly, and most any truck will do a great job regardless of brand. A person can spec everything right down to wheel hubs. Most everything but the frame and the general body is made by someone else and can be spec'd to match a person's needs. Brand name on the hood doesn't mean nearly as much today as it did 30 years ago.