User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DOT medical a small plastic card?

Every time I've gotten a D.O.T. medical in the past, it was always a small card. However, I went to a different place to get my medical, and instead they gave me a sheet of paper, though it has all the same information (the medical examiner's state license/registration number, national registry number, etc.) The name of the doctor's office was also on the list of those offices approved for DOT physicals. Should I be concerned that I have a sheet of paper instead of an actual card?

Also, I let my medical expire for a few days before getting the physical, but when I went to the DDS station afterwards, they said it wasn't a big deal. But the people at the DDS have been known to make mistakes; I've heard of people getting their CDL learners permit, and the person at the counter actually taking away their regular Class C license.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Every time I've gotten a D.O.T. medical in the past, it was always a small card. However, I went to a different place to get my medical, and instead they gave me a sheet of paper, though it has all the same information (the medical examiner's state license/registration number, national registry number, etc.) The name of the doctor's office was also on the list of those offices approved for DOT physicals. Should I be concerned that I have a sheet of paper instead of an actual card?

Also, I let my medical expire for a few days before getting the physical, but when I went to the DDS station afterwards, they said it wasn't a big deal. But the people at the DDS have been known to make mistakes; I've heard of people getting their CDL learners permit, and the person at the counter actually taking away their regular Class C license.
You should have been given a medical card (most are now too large to place in a wallet right) and a DOT longform physical.. several pages long, with all of the information from the physical. The medcard simply says that you passed a DOT physical. its got the expiration date and the doctors signature etc. If you are working for a company, make sure you check with them ASAP to see if what you have is what you need.

As for the expiration of your med card.. as long as you were not caught driving a CMV, don't sweat it.. If someone allows too much time to pass without a valid med card, they can have their CDL downgraded to a class D license.. some states have walked back the laws.. before you would lose your CDL completely and have to go through the entire process to get your CDL back.. Now for most states.. you will get downgraded, but with a new med card, you will be reinstated.. (after paying all the fees of course)..
Old 06-29-2016, 02:03 AM
Board Regular

That's the thing, my card is not a card at all, but an actual sheet of paper. Is this acceptable?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Board Regular

I should also mention that I'm a Georgia resident.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:55 AM

keep that form with you. even though all states are now supposed to be linked, many are still not. keep the form in an envelope to keep it clean. i carry a briefcase, many others do not, so it is easy for me to carry important papers, but i have a card.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAnthony View Post
keep that form with you. even though all states are now supposed to be linked, many are still not. keep the form in an envelope to keep it clean. i carry a briefcase, many others do not, so it is easy for me to carry important papers, but i have a card.

Ok thanks will do. So I'm assuming it is ok to have a sheet of paper instead of a small plastic card?
Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 PM

yes, most certainly.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Rookie

You will not get a small plastic card. I got mine this past Monday (6/27/16) and med cards have been changed to a card that measures 5 5/8" x 3.5". I folded mine in half and carry it in my dollar section of my wallet.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Board Icon

IF your DMV/BMV is nice they can shrink that large paper to a wallet size piece for you and it is to suffice for that large paper. But if they don't do that, you must keep that piece of paper with you. It now IS the medical card.