User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Chances of being hired?

Okay, so my significant other got fired around July of last year and I have a few questions as to if he can start applying or will have to wait.

He got fired from C. R. England for logs violations. Most of them were that he "did not send in his pre/post trip inspection report," while a few were hours violations. The thing is that he did send in those reports, and also told the company he could not drive when his hours were so low and they told him to anyways. Another time was we were stuck in a snow storm and the next closest off ramp to a rest stop was miles away. (We could not tell if there was enough highway to just pull over.) The company said they could help him take care of these violations, but whenever he tried, they always gave him the run around. He has also gotten into two EXTREMELY minor accidents (took a tiny bit of paint off of a tractor and the other the driver tried to zoom past us when we were currently backing into a spot. Horn honked and everything. He never gave us his information.)

About two months after being let go, he tried to get into a local route for Swift, but they would not hire him.

So we are at 2 months shy of him not being employed by any other trucking company for a year. He has about 1-2 years of driving experience. So when CAN he be able to be hired again and can he get a local route?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

It's going to be easier to get an OTR position than a local gig. Local jobs almost always fill quickly and usually have many applicants to choose from. He needs to get those app's out to every company (except CRE) out there, he's not in a position to be picky. Has he been working at all for the last ten months? if not thats going to hurt him as well as being out of the truck for most of a year.
He will probably have to go out with a trainer for awhile to brush up on his driving skills and practice logging.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 05-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Rookie

Between being out from behind the wheel for almost a year, having logs violations and 2 accidents it's not going to be easy to get hired. If he wants local stuff he should look into grocery delivery, beverage delivery and trash. Are those accidents on his driving record? That makes a big difference and like repete said, hopefully he's been working in the mean time. If he's just been hanging out for almost a year that looks really bad.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Board Icon

You've GOT to be kidding me! Why not just wait for his 1st year anniversary of unemployment before trying to SAVE his career? lol.

I think there's MORE to this story.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Rookie

So far, he was only able to get one job, and it didn't last long. I do not think those accidents are on his record, but I'll ask to make sure.

Although the only problem with OTR is that I'm expecting and I would end up going with him as I know that - dependent on the company - I wouldn't see him for months. But if it is possible to get anything local, we'll still try. Maybe even just the western side?

Thanks for the information so far, guys.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Why would he be gone for months at a time? Most drivers seem to be out 2-3 weeks at a time and companies have learned that home time is important and do better at getting them home.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Rookie

When he was out before I could join him, I only saw him twice that whole year. Only one of those times was actual home time. They wouldn't give him home time and only got him loads that were "closer" to Cali since he actually needed a load to Cali to get home. Quite frankly, CRE is one of the worst companies to go to. When I got on the truck with him, he only got it once as well. So that's 2 actual home times in 2 years. They made damn sure we never got close to California.

We had also been, "volunteered" to do a wal-mart dedicated route in Illinois for the "holidays" in which it took those accidents to take him off that route because it was a "privilege". We were stuck in Illinois for 8 months. Oh, and those accidents are not on his record.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midori View Post
Quite frankly, CRE is one of the worst companies to go to.
Correction: CR England is THE worst trucking company out there, perhaps rivaled only by PRIME, Inc.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

He needs to pull his DAC to see what is on his record. Log violations and accidents are serious for any carrier. Having drivers with recorded violations can raise insurance rates and could impact a carrier's safety record and ultimately cost the company revenue. Many shippers and brokers will check safety records of those whom they do business. If he wants to get back in the drivers seat he needs to start filling out applications and making phone calls. There is usually someone who will hire most anyone.