User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2015, 02:07 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Female Driver & New

Hello everyone! I am 41 years old and will be getting my Class A license in a few weeks. Although I have thought long and hard about transitioning into the trucking business, my biggest concern now is how to choose a company to start with. I have read the many horror stories on companies promising you the world and getting over on you and I'm sure that by me being a female, and new to the industry that I will already have two strikes against me when it comes to recruiters selling me a dream.

If you have any advice for a newbie, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

When I finish school in 3 weeks I would like to have the stress of figuring out where to start already figured out!!

Thank you for any help!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Board Icon

Get everything in writing. A company promises the world to you, tell them to put it in writing. The BS'ers will either walk away or keep talking the sell to you. It will seriously filter out the companies you probably should stay away from. As a new driver though, you got to start somewhere and at a low rate. Also, every paper you sign to join a company, get a copy of it, if they refuse then walk away. Make certain you understand what your signing, read it yourself vs robo signing it. They may tell you its just signing something for direct deposit when in reality its giving them the OK to drain your bank account if you miss a load delivery for example.

Stay away from any Lease Purchase Program with most every company that offers it. Its a horrible, terrible option for a new driver to get involved with while your just trying to get your feet under you. It also is nearly impossible to ever come out on top with the starter companies that offer it. They promise you get the truck, most don't give you THAT truck if you hang on and "win", you get the old beater out back that has 5 million miles on it and breaks down every 100 miles.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Rookie

Thank you so much for the advice and I will keep everything in mind that you said.
I appreciate it!!
Old 03-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Rookie

Kudos for putting in the work it takes to finish school and become a well-trained truck driver! You may want to read up about trucking companies that hire inexperienced drivers and getting pre-approval letters before you graduate. Just a suggestion.