User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Ticket IN LaGrange GA weigh station

Im a new CDL driver...only had my license a week, and i got a ticket at the weigh station in LaGrange GA. Charge was driving within a Gore. Long story short. I missed the scale coming back from my run, and I pulled over still near the scale. Since I couldnt back up I drove over the grass leading to the scale.

Any ideas of how I should go froward.. I had a clean MVR up until this

Thanks for helping a rookie!
Old 03-19-2015, 02:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You should have pulled to the side of the road, preferably before passing the scale, get out of the truck and go talk to the scale master. You might want to get a lawyer and try to fight the ticket. You could also go to court on your own or just pay the ticket. Personally, I would not want the ticket on my record, especially only having your CDL for such a short time. A lawyer might charge from about $250-500 from one of the legal services you see advertising at some truck stops. The way things are these days, it is important to fight any ticket. Next time be careful and assume every scale is open unless you see a closed sign.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Seeing as your so new I'd definitely fight it. It will cost some money BUT you can't really have this on your record.
I'm not the begging pleading type but that would of been a good time to start! This could really have an effect on your job and new career. Have you notified your employer yet? Don't wait, they all what to know about tickets as soon as you get them.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 06-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Rookie

Unfortunate incident bypassing a scale but it happens to me at least once a year, every year for the past 20. There are many legitimate reasons for bypassing an open scale most notably your attention to the traffic situation and unfamiliar area of travel. Remember that there has been only one man EVER who walked on water. What you did wong was not the scale bypass but your response to doing so. NEVER pull over on an interstate unless it is an emergency and don't make any fancy maneuvers to "correct" your mistakes, these actions draw attention and endanger yourself and others. Keep trucking and see if a chase vehicle comes for you which is RARE. Mistakes happen but pulling over in front of the scale is by far the biggest rookie move advice ever!
How many times have they gave chase in the past 20 years you ask? Never.
Going to court will typically reduce the infraction but will cost money either way. Remember, only one man ever walked on water, meaning the rest of us are imperfect.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Rookie

Can I get an "Amen"?
Old 07-19-2015, 12:06 AM
Board Icon

I was just reading up on your charge..........the ticket was not for bypassing the scale, it was for driving across the grass to fix your mistake. Stopping as GMAN stated and going in would have been better. They could have then told you to go on with a small tongue lashing or told you to go to the next exit, turn around and come back across. You could try to fight this ticket, but I doubt it gets dropped or reduced. That is my opinion and I'm not a lawyer!

fz, try that in VA, they WILL come after you up at the Dumfries coop. They will tell you to turn it around and come on back across. After you cross, they will then likely pull you for a level 1. Once you get going from that, you have to turn back around and you had BETTER cross the scale again heading in your orginal direction this time.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Rookie

Indeed, Virginia is tough on truckers and my advise was not to purposely bypass an open scale. It is ill advised to pull over on the shoulder unless it is an emergency. Better to ask forgiveness than permission. I bypassed a brand new scale(in my home state) near Miami, traffic was heavy and they pulled all CMV into the scale except me. Seeing the long lines I thought for sure they'd come for me but nothing. .. note to self. It happens to all of us, eventually.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Rookie

FYI there is a new florida coop on Hwy 27 for both north and southbound traffic near Clewiston, Fl. You can't miss it, it's in the median!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Rookie

Just one more post on bypassing scales. The Hammond, LA scales are the most corrupt scales I know. These scales are DELIBERATELY ambiguous with roadside lighted signs to "ok to bypass scales" while your prepass flashes red. A Luisiana state trooper will be waiting for a sign from the scale house that you illegally bypassed this scale. There is a poorly visible sign in the grass below the lighted sign that just told you "ok to bypass scales" that reads "follow in cab signals". $500 cash makes it all go away without CSA points or anything. It is a racket they set up primarily during quiet night time hours. THIS IS NOT A TRUCKER "STORY"