User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default employment verification question

Hello, I am 34 years old, getting ready to start a new career as a truck driver. I will be going to school at Central Tech next week to get my CDL-A. I talked to my recruiter with Conway Truckload and she said everything looks good and upon completion of school I will attend a week long orientation and then out with a trainer if hired. They have done background checks and are/will be doing employment verification. I am a little worried about one of my former employers giving them bad information because I did not leave on good terms with them. I gave them 2 weeks notice and later that day the manager went from being a super nice guy and turned into a real ***hole for the remainder of my time with that company. A week later (2 days remaining with the company) I got mad and lost my temper and quit/got fired. Do trucking companies look at that or do they just verify that you were employed, Any info would be helpful

Thank you
Old 06-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Companies look at everything. You can put a note on your application for them to not contact that employer. Most applicants will have something that is less than pristine on their record. Just explain what happened and go from there. I have interviewed many drivers over the years. I will sometimes overlook something as long as the applicant is up front and honest with me. I won't overlook someone who is dishonest or attempts to hide something.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:35 AM
Rookie

I have a freind that was a personell manager and she said that all an employer is suppose to be able to say about you is that you worked from this date to this date and whether you quit or got fired and your reason given for leaving. Dunno how true this is or if it was just her companies policy and she misunderstood but she did say that if you found out they gave out personal info outside of those guidelines then you could sue them. Of course this isnt going to hold true with DOT safety regulated jobs because of safety reporting requirements as well as the new drug test reporting requirements. And I will add that GMAN is right, being upfront and honest is always the best way to go about it.