User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Can I become a truck driver?

Hello, I am diagnosed with schizophrenia and have been hospitalized 4 times in the past 4 and a half years (all of which were voluntary admissions) do to mental related incidences (the last time being a year and a half ago). I've done my research and found out it's possible to become a truck driver with schizophrenia (as long as your meds don't make you drowsy, and mines don't). My question is if the employer or the employer's insurance would deem me as a liability, or if I would just not be hired at all due to my hospitalizations (I think it is illegal to not hire somebody due to their medical records). Thanks.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Board Icon

Would you hire someone to drive your equipment with that history? That is the real question. You need to contact a few companies that interest you and flat out ask them about your condition. Good chance insurance deems you a liability, be upset with them not the company (their hands are tied by the insurance companies.)
Old 04-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member

When I first started driving 14 years ago, I was on Paxil for anxiety. It didn't make me drowsy or anything whatsoever. However, not a single company would touch me with me taking any type of psychotic meds.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
When I first started driving 14 years ago, I was on Paxil for anxiety. It didn't make me drowsy or anything whatsoever. However, not a single company would touch me with me taking any type of psychotic meds.
How did they go on about checking what medication you were on? Did you try Swift?
Old 04-17-2014, 05:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Trucks99,

I wish you well, but even if you could be hired by a reputable company, the stress levels involved with trucking (particularly as a rookie) are high, and that could cause some major problems. You're looking at the prospects of highly irregular schedules, irregular paychecks, time lost awaiting loads, time lost due to unscheduled repairs, and you'll most likely be dealing with some difficult people.

NOTE: I specifically referenced "reputable companies" the rag-tag, "outlaw" operator's would be far, far worse. NO dis intended here, but the unpleasant truth is that a company who would be willing to hire you would most likely be an outlaw operator. They'll run you illegally, you'll operate equipment that is largely substandard, and leave you stranded when you find yourself shut down behind the chicken houses. BTW, YOU will be the one who has to pay the fines, and when the chips are down, you may or may not get paid.

Again, I wish you the very best, but you really need to explore other career options.

I truly wish you nothing but the very best, but
Old 05-11-2014, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes, you can become a truck driver. In most companies, you'll fit right in. Of course you need to make sure you can pass a DOT physical. Make sure the doc doing the physical knows about the drugs you're taking. Some might be on the no-drive list. That's the only thing I can think of that will stop you.

Now that I've said that, I'll say this. Don't advertise your condition. As long as you can safely drive with only one voice doing the driving, you should be ok.

But here's the question. Why do you want to be a truck driver? There are a lot of us who ask that question everyday while we go down the road. And the only one to answer that is yourself. We all have demons that we tend too while by ourselves. And having extra ones won't help you in the long haul.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619 View Post
Yes, you can become a truck driver. In most companies, you'll fit right in.
I dun'no' Cluggy; to me, it seems like a terrible waste of talent. If he's schizophrenic, he'd be a shoe-in as a DISPATCHER!!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Before spending the money on school, you may want to check with one of the doctors who do CDL physicals. They could tell you whether your meds would be a problem in passing the physical. That would be your first obstacle. If you can get past that one, then you could call some carriers and ask. The problem could come in should you ever become involved in an accident. Lawyers will go through your background with a fine tooth comb. The way things work is that if they can find anything then they can hang the responsibility of the accident on the carrier and their insurance company, regardless of actual fault.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Rookie

Interesting....are you saying there are no drivers out there who are NOT DOING ANTI-DEPRESSANT MEDS?

Just asking...and appreciate any constructive feedback....thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post