User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How can I "verify" my experience and where do I find weekend work?

I started learning how to drive a truck about 2 years ago as part of my job. I'm a full time Diesel Mechanic for the CO Army National Guard and our shop is the main one for our state, as such we are asked fairly often to transport equipment. Even though we're running civilian/commercial trucks/trailers since they have Government Plates on them I wasn't required to get a CDL to drive, once I proved to the boss I had it figured out he signed off for it to be added to my military license and I was good. The shop did finally pay for me to attend a truck driving school last week and I passed the Skills test Monday on the first try. So now that I've been hauling equipment on a quasi-regular basis for the last 2 years and have my Class-A I'm wanting to pick up some extra money and experience driving on the side, mainly weekends. The problem is though that having just received my Class-A I'm considered a "student" driver and the only work out there from what I've been finding as I call around is for full-time OTR. Is there something I can do to validate my previous experience? And where are some good places to look for weekend runs?

Because pics are worth so many words, here are a few pics I've taken of some of the different loads I've hauled for my state:

Our shops main truck, Freightliner w/ 550HP C15 and Eaton 13spd

One of the other shop's 92 GMC White w/ 450HP 3406B and Eaton 13spd

Took this up and over I-70 for steep grade training, it was my "test" before the boss would let me drive on my own

Here is my scale receipt from it, we don't run scales but I wanted to see what I was weighing in at. This was with nearly empty fuel tanks

This is my shop's 92 GMC White cab-over. Same specs as the other one, I absolutely love this truck as long as I have a good amount of weight on it.

Here is another one of the 92 cab-over's that we had converted into a roll-off

I haven't taken pictures of all my loads and I do have more. I know I'm not some seasoned driver with a few million miles under my belt, but it would be nice to be able to have what experience I do have count for something. I would love to stick with hauling equipment (although I'm not picky either) and am wanting to try to do weekend work in the mean time so I can have that much more experience for when I retire from the National Guard in the not so distant future. Also this whole sequestration and furlough business has me wanting to make some extra money to help cover the bills. I'd rather drive a truck then work at McDonalds.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Any one ever wonder where all your tax money goes? Lota truck(s) there for just once in awhile moves. Scary to considering there driveing that stuff without a CDL or proper training!
But to get to your point of weekend driveing, I wouldn't even bother trying. I doubt you'll get anyone to give you a chance cause you have no real experince. You would be better off doing an extra drill on the weekend.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 AM
Rookie

Three tractors is a lot for an entire state? We have a couple more but still. I hauled 10 pieces this week over two days, what would that have cost our state to hire out?

Having just attended a CDL school I can tell you I received much more in depth training from my supervisor than I got from the school. The only thing I got out of the school was the specific verbage for the pre-trip, something I'll never really need again. A proper PMCS is far more in depth than the pre-trip inspection taught for the skills test.

We don't need CDL's because they're military/government trucks and are driven while on duty by military licensed personnel. I've been in the CO National Guard for just under 12 years now with the majority of my first 6 on 1 deployment or another and the last 5+ working full time. I've been a Wreckery Operator most of my career as well and I'm pretty sure my HEMTT is bigger and heavier than your rig, especially when hauling another HEMTT or a 5Ton tractor/trailer combo.

I'll give professional truck driver's the advantage in miles and continuous time, but to say that my last 12 years driving large military equipment and the last 2 years hauling equipment with a commercial style tractor trailer accident and incident free doesn't count for anything is BS.

The weekend thing is proving unlikely. I'm talking with a few places about filling in here and there driving concrete, dump truck, and hauling agricultural stuff as needed. I'm hoping I can pick up some work that way here and there.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJFreeman View Post
but to say that my last 12 years driving large military equipment and the last 2 years hauling equipment with a commercial style tractor trailer accident and incident free doesn't count for anything is BS.
Sorry to pizz ya off but in the trucking world where the insurance company is the real one that decides who gets hired you are a new inexperinced driver. thats just the way it is.
Rock haulers,garbage trucks ect may give you a shot, but your really handicapped with being able to just do weekends. I know a kid thats makes good CASH $$$ delivering pizza's, don't laugh.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Rookie

The facts aren't what got me upset, I've already come to the same basic conclusion. It was your attitude that got me going.

As it is minus this whole furlough business my full-time position is a good paying, good benefits, secure gig. I'm looking at trucking as a second career for after my retirement from the National Guard. I was just hoping to get more wheel time and make some extra cash in the meantime.

I did the application deal on this site and accidentally sent it to almost every company here. I was swarmed with phone calls and e-mails all week, so at least I know if things get even more retarded for under Obama I'll probably be able to get an OTR job and keep food in the fridge and a roof over head for the family. That was a big reason for me pushing to get my CDL even though its not a requirement. I like having a back up plan.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You might check with some of your local equipment rental companies. Most of their moves will usually come during the weekdays, but some may need moves over a weekend. I would also check with some of the LTL carriers. They don't do equipment, but it would provide some real world experience. Most carrier's don't consider military driving as experience. Go figure. You might also check some of the carriers who might be based in your area to see if they could use someone to shuttle trailers around or drive a yard dog. I would also check your local state employment office. Many carriers list driving jobs with them. Good luck.