User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Trucking Companies with Refresher Courses

Anybody know of any that are hiring and currently running refresher courses for drivers with previous experience? I know a lot stopped hiring unless you are ready to hop in a truck and go. I am out of Chicagoland. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 AM

nobody, not a gd company unless you have 6 months recent
Old 07-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Why do you think you need a refresher course?

A few companies are hiring only students (namely Swift). A few companies are only hiring experienced drivers that don't need 'refreshers'?

A "Refresher Course" is usually only provided by driving schools. If it's been a year or two since you drove last then they will probably require you to go to a certified school to get a refresher course.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Called crete, they have terminal right near me in macungie pa, so I ask her is are they hiring. Out of that terminal they had national and regional runs so im like watever. how much experience do I need she's like at least 6 months. I told her the web site said if I went to a school it would be ok. But she said it had to be recent. So I was asked her if I could take a refresher course at school she said no. So basically what im hearing, and some one please correct me if im wrong. Im supposed to go back to school which we all know isn't free even though I have my cdl? Cuz she told me I had to do a full course. For a job that might not even hire me?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:52 PM

That sounds about right :thumbsup:
Old 07-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Your not really giving all of the facts:
how long has it been since you drove last?
how much experience do you have?
how long has it been since truck driving school?

Your generally going to hear those answers if you have not driven in 6 months, with less than a year experience and it's been 2 years since driving school.

The reason --- insurance requirements.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:34 AM

I drove semis for 5 months end of 2005 to 2006 then I got a job on the dock of a good company for a good pay stayed there untill I got promotedd. Once in a blue moon Id do moves when my jockey was off other then that I would be in the office or a tow motor. Then last year I was one of a few guys to be let go. So I got a job deliivery utility trucks for a company who builds then. Some class b but moslty class a. But 99 percent automatic. Ill get a 6 speed here and there and a 10 speed once in a blue moon. But there all considered straight jobs even the big ass condors I drive. There like million dollar trucks. I driven this sweet ass 35 ton peterbuilt crane all the time, but its a auto.
And mmy record. I supsension in for no insurance in in 2005 and I speeding ticket all b4 I even got my cdl. I got nothing to hide
Old 07-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I would say that the reason why you were told what you were told is that it has been 4 years since you graduated from school, and for the last 3 years you have no otr experience and you only have 5 months of that 3 years ago.

Sorry to tell you this, but insurance companies would not want to touch you unless you have current training course behind you. Then more than likely most companies would stick you with a trainer.

A suspended license for no insurance? There's more to that story.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:42 AM

I thought Crete wanted at least a year of experience? I know Werner and Swift will take you with no recent experience but you just have to go with a trainer for god knows how long. Schneider will take you as well you just have to do their driving school and go out with a trainer. But this was back when things were better and when these companies were hiring. But you have very little experience to work with. All you can hope for is a local company to give you another shot or keep calling around. Start at the bottom and work up. CR England, Swift, Schneider, Covenant, KLLM, Marten, Watkins Shepard, Werner, Central Refrigerated, Prime Inc, Wil-Trans, Willis Shaw Express, CRST, WEL Companies, Roehl, USA Truck, JB Hunt, Knight Transportation, FFE Transportation, May Trucking, Millis Transfer, Gordon Trucking, Melton Truck Lines, Arrow Trucking, Star Transportation, Hiner Transport, USF Glenmore, US Xpress, NFI Industries, Landair, Trans Am Trucking, etc. Talk to some LTL companies some had training programs in the past, YRC, Old Dominion, Saia, Central Transport, Oak Harbor Freight Lines, Estes, Fed Ex, UPS, etc. See if a owner/op needs someone to drive their truck or if they need a team partner. Look into expedited freight. Look into buying a truck. Ask people, call companies, e-mail companies, go to truck stops ask drivers, use craigslist, etc. Be proactive. If all else fails hang up trucking and get a normal job.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle View Post
I would say that the reason why you were told what you were told is that it has been 4 years since you graduated from school, and for the last 3 years you have no otr experience and you only have 5 months of that 3 years ago.

Sorry to tell you this, but insurance companies would not want to touch you unless you have current training course behind you. Then more than likely most companies would stick you with a trainer.

A suspended license for no insurance? There's more to that story.
No entirely correct.
In last 4 years I have 15 months cdl experience
In the last 4 years on 10 months cdl experienc no tt, I have over the road but not in semi. But they won't count it. As I said 95 percent of what I drive is class A. Just no tt . Its not hard, the point is class a, just not tt.

And for the liscence suspension . I wish there was more to the story but there isn't. Ask anybody from pa what the penalty for not having car insurance is 3 month suspension unless its chnged since 04 or 05. Other then showing you my record I don't kno what else to tell you. 21 yo kid wants a car, but can't afford insurnace. Haunts me for the rest of my life