Thread: Trucking Companies with Refresher Courses

madaxeman is offline Member

Default Trucking Companies with Refresher Courses

Anybody know of any that are hiring and currently running refresher courses for drivers with previous experience? I know a lot stopped hiring unless you are ready to hop in a truck and go. I am out of Chicagoland. Thanks!

seal3k is offline Member

nobody, not a gd company unless you have 6 months recent

dle
    dle is offline Senior Board Member

Why do you think you need a refresher course?

A few companies are hiring only students (namely Swift). A few companies are only hiring experienced drivers that don't need 'refreshers'?

A "Refresher Course" is usually only provided by driving schools. If it's been a year or two since you drove last then they will probably require you to go to a certified school to get a refresher course.

seal3k is offline Member

Called crete, they have terminal right near me in macungie pa, so I ask her is are they hiring. Out of that terminal they had national and regional runs so im like watever. how much experience do I need she's like at least 6 months. I told her the web site said if I went to a school it would be ok. But she said it had to be recent. So I was asked her if I could take a refresher course at school she said no. So basically what im hearing, and some one please correct me if im wrong. Im supposed to go back to school which we all know isn't free even though I have my cdl? Cuz she told me I had to do a full course. For a job that might not even hire me?

That sounds about right :thumbsup:

dle

Your not really giving all of the facts:
    how long has it been since you drove last?
    how much experience do you have?
    how long has it been since truck driving school?

Your generally going to hear those answers if you have not driven in 6 months, with less than a year experience and it's been 2 years since driving school.

The reason --- insurance requirements.

seal3k is offline Member

I drove semis for 5 months end of 2005 to 2006 then I got a job on the dock of a good company for a good pay stayed there untill I got promotedd. Once in a blue moon Id do moves when my jockey was off other then that I would be in the office or a tow motor. Then last year I was one of a few guys to be let go. So I got a job deliivery utility trucks for a company who builds then. Some class b but moslty class a. But 99 percent automatic. Ill get a 6 speed here and there and a 10 speed once in a blue moon. But there all considered straight jobs even the big ass condors I drive. There like million dollar trucks. I driven this sweet ass 35 ton peterbuilt crane all the time, but its a auto.
    And mmy record. I supsension in for no insurance in in 2005 and I speeding ticket all b4 I even got my cdl. I got nothing to hide

dle

I would say that the reason why you were told what you were told is that it has been 4 years since you graduated from school, and for the last 3 years you have no otr experience and you only have 5 months of that 3 years ago.

Sorry to tell you this, but insurance companies would not want to touch you unless you have current training course behind you. Then more than likely most companies would stick you with a trainer.

A suspended license for no insurance? There's more to that story.

I thought Crete wanted at least a year of experience? I know Werner and Swift will take you with no recent experience but you just have to go with a trainer for god knows how long. Schneider will take you as well you just have to do their driving school and go out with a trainer. But this was back when things were better and when these companies were hiring. But you have very little experience to work with. All you can hope for is a local company to give you another shot or keep calling around. Start at the bottom and work up. CR England, Swift, Schneider, Covenant, KLLM, Marten, Watkins Shepard, Werner, Central Refrigerated, Prime Inc, Wil-Trans, Willis Shaw Express, CRST, WEL Companies, Roehl, USA Truck, JB Hunt, Knight Transportation, FFE Transportation, May Trucking, Millis Transfer, Gordon Trucking, Melton Truck Lines, Arrow Trucking, Star Transportation, Hiner Transport, USF Glenmore, US Xpress, NFI Industries, Landair, Trans Am Trucking, etc. Talk to some LTL companies some had training programs in the past, YRC, Old Dominion, Saia, Central Transport, Oak Harbor Freight Lines, Estes, Fed Ex, UPS, etc. See if a owner/op needs someone to drive their truck or if they need a team partner. Look into expedited freight. Look into buying a truck. Ask people, call companies, e-mail companies, go to truck stops ask drivers, use craigslist, etc. Be proactive. If all else fails hang up trucking and get a normal job.

seal3k is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dle View Post
    I would say that the reason why you were told what you were told is that it has been 4 years since you graduated from school, and for the last 3 years you have no otr experience and you only have 5 months of that 3 years ago.

Sorry to tell you this, but insurance companies would not want to touch you unless you have current training course behind you. Then more than likely most companies would stick you with a trainer.

A suspended license for no insurance? There's more to that story.
    No entirely correct.
    In last 4 years I have 15 months cdl experience
    In the last 4 years on 10 months cdl experienc no tt, I have over the road but not in semi. But they won't count it. As I said 95 percent of what I drive is class A. Just no tt . Its not hard, the point is class a, just not tt.

And for the liscence suspension . I wish there was more to the story but there isn't. Ask anybody from pa what the penalty for not having car insurance is 3 month suspension unless its chnged since 04 or 05. Other then showing you my record I don't kno what else to tell you. 21 yo kid wants a car, but can't afford insurnace. Haunts me for the rest of my life

seal3k is offline Member

Its harder to find local, but he's right just keep trying. Oh this might sound stupid but waste managnement always hiring

It's not stupid, sounds like you don't care what you drive like some guys do. Apply with Waste Management their whole application process is online I just hear they don't pay much. Also apply with your local city driving trash trucks or construction trucks. I know construction is real slow but apply at construction companies. You would be amazed by the amount construction driving jobs there are as long as your willing to do a little bit of work. Look at state jobs. Hauling Ag commodities for small companies usually don't require experience. Look into Greyhound they will pay for you to get your passenger endorsement and put you through a training program.

seal3k is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1TruckDrivinSunUvAGun View Post
    It's not stupid, sounds like you don't care what you drive like some guys do. Apply with Waste Management their whole application process is online I just hear they don't pay much. Also apply with your local city driving trash trucks or construction trucks. I know construction is real slow but apply at construction companies. You would be amazed by the amount construction driving jobs there are as long as your willing to do a little bit of work. Look at state jobs. Hauling Ag commodities for small companies usually don't require experience. Look into Greyhound they will pay for you to get your passenger endorsement and put you through a training program.
    At first I got mad and took it as a direct slap to the face, then im like you know what I don't care, and why should I, im really not in the position to decide what I drive, as are most guys out there. "Honey they were gonna hire me with good pay and steady work but there rigs where ****ty, so I went to stevens or swift instead, riiiiiiighhhhhttt" when it comes to takining care of my family there my choice. How many companies out there have shiny new trucks and don't pay there drivers. Ill take the company that puts there money into there drivers, and good mechanics.

And to the waste managment pay rate. Ill agree with you on that for the most part. It all depends what state and area . The mom and pop companies don't pay well no matter what. The big companies are a little better but not by much. There benifits however are excellent.

I have a question why does everybody keep saying local? Where im from it works from outside in. You do 1 to 2 years otr and you can pick and choose your local gigs. Cuz here and I emphasize here, in southeast pa. The local jobs are still hiring but they want at least 1 year, hell NFI ran 3 ads in todays paper. Im not saying I haven't heard of people getting hired by these companies with little exp but its rare.
    Is it the other way around in othere parts of the country?

madaxeman is offline Member

I graduated 7/2006 from a SAGE/PTDIA school.

I worked 18 months at only one company til the end of march 2008 (when the economy went in the crapper and companies started folding left and right). I hauled a 53' dry van OTR (about 180k miles, 37 states).

I have no tickets or accidents, no felonies, no misdemeanors, no DUIs, etc...a clean record.

I gave notice at the last company and quit on good terms, cleaned the truck, dropped it off at the terminal, etc. They put "satisfactory" for my employment on my DAC.

Recently, I just added my hazmat endorsement and obtained a passport. I already had the tanker and doubles/triples.

Quote Originally Posted by dle View Post
    Your not really giving all of the facts:
    how long has it been since you drove last?
    how much experience do you have?
    how long has it been since truck driving school?

Your generally going to hear those answers if you have not driven in 6 months, with less than a year experience and it's been 2 years since driving school.

The reason --- insurance requirements.
    Last edited by madaxeman; 07-21-2009 at 06:53 PM.

dle

Madaxe

Making sure I understand. It's been 3 years since you graduated. You have 1.5 years OTR (after training), but it's been more than a year since you last drove OTR. It appears that you added your hazmat and passport in an effort to make yourself more marketable.

It all goes back to insurance requirements.

The only options I can think of:
    1) get a job driving anything local
    2) get a job driving anything local to get the funds to pay for a refresher course (contact your previous school they may have a price break -- don't know for sure) then go for the other companies
    3) bite the bullet and take the refresher course - somehow
    4) find an o/o that you can convince to take you on (team or otherwise) and that will verify to prospective
    companies that you did drive for him

17. This ad will disappear if you login