User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I love reading these for some reason. I'd be honored if you'd keep them going at least through your first couple of real loads solo. I used to drive in the military and I am looking to get back to it..I doubt I could afford Swift training but I think I can swing a local tech school here in Knoxville using some of whats left on my GI Bill. I tried office work and it's literally driving me stark raving mad...the constant in-your-face bureaucracy...watercooler backstabbing...and minute by minute fake smiles.

Keep them coming. It's providing a nice perspective.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Rookie

great read!! what im interested in really how how long you will have to wait for a finisher/trainer,how the finishing/ training goes, and how many miles your getting once you complete the training all together i read and hear of so many people complaining about not getting miles and not so many about getting them..... i guess their all too busy driving huh!!...

Great thread ive enjoyed
Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols07 View Post
minute by minute fake smiles.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!! just makes ya wanna slap someone!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Board Regular

Agree, nice thread.

I graduate a 9 week course at a local county Vo-Tech in the morning. A good 9 weeks - learned a lot, got to drive a number of different (OLD) power units and trannies - got my CDL, lost 25 lbs. and quit smoking. Cost me $1,850. Biggest difference is, now I have to FIND A JOB.

I start the jog hunt, full-time, next week...

Keep up the reports - I may end up trying for Swift too (minus the Swift Academy part)...

Rick
Old 07-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Uh, no. The KINGPIN LOCK is placed OVER THE KINGPIN when you drop the trailer, to prevent SOMEONE ELSE from trying to hook the trailer (ie: steal or tow it). Works REALLY WELL with the "GLADHAND LOCK", which also prevents someone from putting air into the brake system to release the SPRING BRAKES. Between the two - the trailer is both un-hookable and un-movable (wheels locked).

This doesn't PREVENT trailer theft (as nothing stops a DETERMINED THIEF) - just makes the trailer "reasonably safe" against someone just casually rolling up to it and taking off with it. Someone cutting off a kingpin lock and gladhand lock usually takes enough time to draw someone's (negative) attention.

The thing Kevin was talking about (they're called CARABINERS there college-boy) are the D-Ring devices frequently used for key rings, that can substitute (with a couple of links of chain) for a bad door clip (the device that holds the trailer door OPEN and against the trailer body). You "should" be glancing at these during your PTI (and WRITING THEM UP if they're bad, maybe one day they'll actually FIX THEM). You can use the "alternate device" old Kev described to "rig" them open so you don't tear them off (the doors) or swing them into someone else's nice paint job when yer docking...

Kingpin locks usually get stored in a ziplock baggie or their original box, as they tend to get greasy/nasty. Watch yer head when putting it on too - the apron is really greasy too.

Rick

uh...boy wonder, he was talking about a device on the chain rack. take a second to look at the picture he posted. anybody with an ounce of brain can tell you what a KING PIN lock is for. Kinda like what a PENCIL sharpener is for....duh.

And as far as what i glance at during a PTI, i do take a look at them when doing a PTI. However, sometimes in our world, things tend to BREAK every now and then. Hence, when at a shipper or at a live unload and they DO happen to break, you've gotta have something to use to hold the doors open so you can get on the road, yeah? Or should i stop, call on road, and tell the shipper/cosignee that they cant have their stuff because i cant hold my door open??

Kingpin locks usually get stored in whatever a driver deems fit to store a greasy-azz lock in.

gee...thanx for reminding drivers to watch their head. you must really think they are stupid to forget they are squatting under a trailer.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Default Swift Training Academy Day 16

Today was the final day of driving at Swift Academy. Because Bob will be taking 3 students to Pasco WA to take our state test. Dave and I are two of the students, and the third guy is name Kurt. Now Kurt was with a different instructor through the entire class, and he was in a truck that did not have any load in the trailer. So, Kurt jumped in our truck this morning to get acquainted with the truck that we will be testing in. Again this truck is loaded with 15,000 pounds of concrete blocks.

Kurt did pretty good in our truck. At the start of the day he was taking the turns a lot faster than we do, but he slowed down by the end of the day. Bob has told us from the start to take the turns in 3rd gear, but Kurt was going around them in 5th and 6th. With only a light load of 15,000 lbs, we could feel the difference. It was really great when Kurt tried to start off from a light in 4th gear! Apparently this is the way they would do it in the other truck.

We heard a lot of different techniques from the other instructors truck. He told them exactly when to begin turning the wheel right up until test day, yesterday. If they made the slightest mistake, the instructor would yell and scream to get them to fix the mistake. Today Kurt was going down a hill a little too fast, so he decided to try and downshift. Unfamiliar with the loaded trailer, he could not get into gear and the truck was speeding up. He kept revving it up and trying to get it into any gear. He really panicked more because he was waiting for Bob to scream at him and tell him what to do. Bob just sat looking out the window, and let him figure it out on his own. He did finally begin to use the service brakes and was able to slow it down and get it into gear, on his own.

Kurt really freaked out when he was going down a hill in 5th gear on a 20mph hill. He was braking hard, then coasting in 5th. Bob reached over and flipped up the Jake Brake, and Kurts said what is that? Apparently they were not able to use the Jakes in the other truck.

Towards the end of Kurts first driving session he remarked that he was seeing a lot of new roads today. The other instructor had a routine that they would do every day. They started out driving the Idaho State test route two time in the morning, then they would take a short trip out of town. They never saw any of the real turns that we have done over the last two weeks.
All 3 of us did some driving in Lewiston and Clarkston today. We also played around at a dock and tried to back the trailer into some pretty tight spots. Of course Bob gave us a laugh after we played around and took about 10 minutes each to dock the trailer. Bob jumped in the truck and docked the trailer in about 2 minutes with a short pull up to straighten it out. It was a very tight dock, but Bob's 5 years of local work has paid off for him when it comes to docking.

At the end of the day we returned to the school and met up with some other students. Everyone has now passed the schools tests, and is now ready for the state test. 2 students from Montana left at 5:30 this morning and should be home late tonight. The Oregon students went last night and tested in Ontario Oregon, and returned today. They passed the test and need some more hours in class to finish on friday. There are 2 trucks headed to WA on Friday morning. our truck leaves at 4:30 am for Pasco, and the other truck is headed for Spokane WA at 5:00 am.

What I learned today is that Bob has been teaching Dave and I more of the real world situations than any other instructor has been teaching. I am very glad that I got Bob as my instructor, and i am sure that I will remember his advice for months and maybe even years to come.

Wish us all luck with our state tests on Friday!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Good luck my man. When on road week, we got to use the jakes going down the wal-mart hill, toyota corner? ya know? and that was it. No cruise control, no nothing. Heck, i never was allowed to use cruise on my mentor's truck, except for about a minute when i was driving, and he reached over and turned it on, just so i could say i passed a swift truck. =)

i really don't think you should use either one during schooling. They are driver aids, and what are you going to do when they dont work?? Kinda gotta know how to brake going down a good grade all on your own.

again...good luck
Old 07-17-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
Good luck my man. When on road week, we got to use the jakes going down the wal-mart hill, toyota corner? ya know? and that was it. No cruise control, no nothing. Heck, i never was allowed to use cruise on my mentor's truck, except for about a minute when i was driving, and he reached over and turned it on, just so i could say i passed a swift truck. =)

i really don't think you should use either one during schooling. They are driver aids, and what are you going to do when they dont work?? Kinda gotta know how to brake going down a good grade all on your own.

again...good luck
I definitely agree that every driver needs to know how to handle their rig without jakes, I got plenty of lessons on that from having a broken jake on my first truck and then not even having one on my next couple.But on the flipside,every driver needs to know how to properly use the jake and when and when not to use it. The idea of not using cruise control because it is a drivers aide does not really make sense to me.
The only thing not using cruise control does is make you wish you had cruise control. You should come out of training knowing how to usefully use all of the tools that are available to you in your tractor.There is a time and a place for both cruise and especially jakes and having these 2 tools completely ignored during school and training is kind of un safe if you ask me. Going out on your own and not knowing how to properly use all of your tools is just not a safe way to go and these features should not be ignored on the basis of them being drivers aides.Cruise and Jakes are 2 of the tools you use when out on the road and you should know when and when not to use them. Having a driver get out on his/her own without having ever used the jake brake due to this idea is going to be pretty damn dangerous when they decide to use it for the first time under the wrong conditions and they dont fully understand what it is capable of. Just my 2 cents, i think every driver needs to use and be taught the merits and dangers of all the tools at their service.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerbomber3.0 View Post
I definitely agree that every driver needs to know how to handle their rig without jakes, I got plenty of lessons on that from having a broken jake on my first truck and then not even having one on my next couple.But on the flipside,every driver needs to know how to properly use the jake and when and when not to use it. The idea of not using cruise control because it is a drivers aide does not really make sense to me.
The only thing not using cruise control does is make you wish you had cruise control. You should come out of training knowing how to usefully use all of the tools that are available to you in your tractor.There is a time and a place for both cruise and especially jakes and having these 2 tools completely ignored during school and training is kind of un safe if you ask me. Going out on your own and not knowing how to properly use all of your tools is just not a safe way to go and these features should not be ignored on the basis of them being drivers aides.Cruise and Jakes are 2 of the tools you use when out on the road and you should know when and when not to use them. Having a driver get out on his/her own without having ever used the jake brake due to this idea is going to be pretty damn dangerous when they decide to use it for the first time under the wrong conditions and they dont fully understand what it is capable of. Just my 2 cents, i think every driver needs to use and be taught the merits and dangers of all the tools at their service.
I went from not knowing jack about driving a truck, to getting my CDL. Believe me, there was enough thrown at me in 2 weeks time before getting on the road, that 'how to use Jakes and Cruise' was far from my mind. Its plenty of pressure taking an 18 wheeler out on public streets for the first time, when still learning to shift smoothly, knowing your road speed/tach, watching that big azz of yours in the mirror, making sure you maximize your 90 during turns and oh yeah, throw in 'how and when to use jakes and cruise'. most students (in my class) got 10 hrs in the left seat. And it was just enough to get me thru the state test.

Now, on the mentor's truck, that would be a perfect time to talk about when/how to use jakes and cruise. Though, as a newbie, i dont think a student should ever use cruise..and here is why. The new driver needs to practice throttle control. Granted there isnt much to it, in trucks governed at 62, to just mash the throttle down. but say you're on a highway with a 55mph speed. One really needs to show they can maintain total control of the truck without any aids.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Default Swift Training Academy Day 17, TEST DAY!

OOOHRAH!

Well as you can see from my heading, I was able to pass my WA State CDL test today. As a matter of fact, Dave, Kurt and I all passed the test. The other 2 WA students did not pass in Spokane. One of them failed on Skills and Road, and the other just failed on Skills. Our single ID student failed on the Pre-trip, so he didn't even go on to road or skills. Both of the MT students passed, and the OR students also passed.

Below is a link to the GPS Tracker for the test route.
test | Author Ford390pwr | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service

So on the Pre-trip, I missed 4 points, Dave missed 1 point and Kurt missed 6 points. On the skills test, I missed 1 point (for a pull up), Dave missed 6 points and Kurt missed 4. Finally for the driving test, I missed 23 points, Dave missed 20 points, and Kurt squeaked by with 24 points.

I took a few turns wider than necessary, buut I didn't hit any curbs or any unavoidable lines. I did grind a couple of gears, mostly due to nerves! One stop sign I didn't stop at the sign, but I got at the line. I was the first of Swift's students to ever catch the "street sign", but then I was out of gear longer than I should have been when I went into the highway on ramp. I recovered quick enough, once I flipped the selector lever. By the way, the sign was an overhead yellow sign that said "Freeway Ends 1/4 mile". Bob said to take a guess of you have no clue, so Dave guessed merge ahead.

I missed 12 points for miriors alone! She also gave me a point for being out of my lane while merging onto the freeway. I was a little bit over the fog line.

Anyways, in the end the only thing that matters is that we have our CDL! Dave and I are staying the night in Lewiston and will head home for 10 days before orientation begins on July 28th in Sumner WA.

Looking back on my time at Swift Training Academy, I am very impressed with the instruction that I have recieved. I must say that I was very lucky to have Bob as my instructor. I could have done fine with another teacher, but I believe that I have a little bit more knowledge than some of the other students thanks to Bob.

I will continue to blog on this forum through my Orientation and mentorship, so stay tuned!