User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Back Home Where I belong

This for all those who are considering an OTR career, if you have a family especially children at home, think long and hard about it. I started out just one year ago went through the school and got my truck and went out on the road. I loved everything about driving OTR, I was able to go to places I never been before, met a lot of great people, and made decent money. I ran teams and stayed out about six weeks at a time, when I got home I never had less than 5 days off, I did not answer my phone when i got home, if it was my company.

The job itself was not hard, get a load trip plan and deliver, easy. The hardest part was directions from the company, never accurate, and I got lost more times than not. The two places i hated to deliver were anywhere in New Jersey, and Chicago. Anywhere else was usually OK. I ate well, took time to rest, and showered everyday, no reason why you can't. My problem was I really started to miss my family while I was out. Even driving teams my partner was usually sleeping while I drove and we did not talk much unless we were eating or fueling or on break. But those long miles would really make me start to think about my kids, the game I missed, the awards ceremony I missed, or just tucking them in at night. I talked to them everyday and emailed pictures of the places I was or had been. When I did get home it was good, we would catch up and it was business as usual. The straw that broke the camels back was the last time I went out , just as I left, my little girl just broke down and cried, she begged me not to go, but i had to. I could not get that picture out of my head, and it was heartbreaking. I did not realize the toll it was taking on my family, it was just too hard on them for me to be gone for 6 weeks at a time, and I did not see it until I started to think about it. I did not know how much they needed me to be there, so I decided at that point that would be my last time out. I did make a commitment to the company, but my committment to my family had to come first.

I let the company know that I would be leaving, and they were not happy, my teaming partner was happy, as he wanted to be with his family as well. I offered to give my two weeks, but they said turn in the truck and get your stuff and leave, so i did. I was clear across counrty and had to fly home, but it was OK. After that I was really glad to leave them, I thought i was doing the right thing and tried to give enough notice, and even offered to go back out so they would have time to replace us. But they were not interested.

I have no ill will against the company, for the most part they treated me very well, I never felt as though they did not care about me, maybe they did'nt, but i always felt at home at any terminal I went to. I dont think there is really a great way to leave a trucking company, it just seems to be the nature of the beast. They want a butt in the seat, and if it's not you it will be someone else. You really are just a number, but I never felt that way.

I ould just say if you are thinking about a carer on the road, it is a great way to make a living, and can pay well, but if you have a family at home think about them first. Ireally believe it is harder on them than it is on you. You can always drive a truck, but you can't always watch your kids grow up. In a year you will miss more than you think.

Good Luck and Drive Safe.

Last edited by sportster65; 04-29-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Thumbs up

Thanks for the update sportster.

Yeah, there is definitely no reason to go out and hobo around for six weeks at a time simply because of the poor/non-existent/uncaring logistics joke that is irregular-route coolie carrier OTR truck driving. Six weeks is six lifetimes in the world of a child. Settle in back home and enjoy the good years to come.
Leave the paid tourist/free sightseeing gimmicks to the die hard/apologist/alternative lifestyle types. (that will be coming out of the woodwork shortly)

Look back on coolie carrier trucking as a detour in your life. Something that you were able to get out of your system, and then move on. Be wary of the lifestyle truckers on this board that might want to question your motives. For they are not unlike a mentally handicapped relative that is best handled with kid gloves.

Nope. "Working 80-100, logging 70, then getting paid for 40" is not a good deal for any of the parties involved. Particularly the little girl crying on your shoulder. I bet that she's glad daddy's home...............

Godspeed, John Glenn..............

Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

This business can be difficult on the family if you are not prepared for the separation. It is usually most difficult the first year. During that time most companies seem to keep drivers out for longer periods of time. Home time seems to get better after the first year. I think most carriers attempt to get drivers home as needed. It can be difficult when freight is down, such as now. Being in the military and having to be away from home is also difficult. Each of us must decide for ourselves what is best for our families. There have been millions of otr drivers who have found a way to make being away work for their families. I am sure it was difficult for many of them. There are also those who were not able to make it work. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
die hard/apologist/alternative lifestyle types. (that will be coming out of the woodwork shortly)
I don't know who these people are exactly, but that was a great OP. I don't have a wife or children and being away from home for weeks is no kind of problem. That said, I'd be ruined if I had a little girl who broke down crying like that. I was reminded of a recent video of an Iraq soldier, his little girl jumped up in his arms pleading "I miss you daddy". That would completely wreck me.

So, you've got bills to pay....I'm sure you're already thinking about that. Six weeks out is a long time even in this business. You can get more home time in trucking, but what you can't do is continue to break that child's heart. Good move.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Going to work on finding a local gig?

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Senior Board Member

I've always thought of OTR drivers being for someone who didn't have family nor a social life.. I'm not trying to be funny i swear but i thought, and still somewhat think til this day that Homeless people should be OTR drivers.. Well since most of them don't have a license or money to go through a school i guess thats a little bit to far to think out, but you can't tell me that's not a hell of an idea...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
I've always thought of OTR drivers being for someone who didn't have family nor a social life.. I'm not trying to be funny i swear but i thought, and still somewhat think til this day that Homeless people should be OTR drivers.. Well since most of them don't have a license or money to go through a school i guess thats a little bit to far to think out, but you can't tell me that's not a hell of an idea...
Given that half of them are alcoholics and talk to invisible beings, that is a hell of an idea...

Even so, the Landstar terminal in St. Augustine is called the homeless shelter. I guess guys hang out there a lot when they aren't driving.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Most true homeless people got there because they have no idea how to manage life.

I guess in a way I am homeless, at the time I got into driving I was just about to lose my home, so once I went off to school, I made the truck my life home. I still call the truck my home now. If and when I ever take home time, it is to go to my moms, or my sisters, or a friends. Technically ever since I have been driving, I only once actually took hometime . When I went solo with Swift, after my time with my trainer, it was a week before Christmas, so I went to my Grandmothers for Christmas for a couple days, but that was the only time I ever officially took any home time.

Honestly I have no desire at this time for a 'home' of my own. I see no point in it when I am single, and would never be there. Why pay all those bills just to sleep in a bed there a couple days a month?

Though being single sucks, I should find me a g/f with a CDL and just team.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 04-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post

LOL Damn Matt! You just can't stay away from trouble! Can you?:clap:

Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
You can have my GF and i will take your spot. She doesnt have a CDL she is a RN. Sound like a deal??:thumbsup:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug