Thread: Overweight Violation

Ron63 is offline Rookie

Default Overweight Violation

Is an overweight ticket considered a moving violation? Does it show up on your MVR?

Thanks to all that respond
    Ron63

mike3fan is offline Senior Board Member

no it's not
    "I love college football. It's the only time of year you can walk down the street with a girl in one arm and a blanket in the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." --Duffy Daugherty

Ron63 is offline Rookie

Thanks mike

Uturn2001 is offline Senior Board Member
    East Central IL between the corn and the beans

In most states it is not a moving violation. There are a few however who have passed laws that have made it one for trucks that are excessively overweight.

Even then it is doubtful it would show up on your MVR unless you live in and were fined in one of those states and exceeded the cut off before it became a moving violation.

As far as it showing up on your DAC employment record it shouldn't.
    Finding the right trucking company is like finding the right person to marry. I really comes down to finding one whose BS you can put up with and who can put up wih yours.

Malaki86 is offline Senior Board Member

I had an overweight violation in Maryland (over on axle, not over gross). I paid the fine within 7 days. That violation is now on my MVR in West Virginia. It has no points associated with it, but, yes, it's listed.

GaBoy is offline Rookie

I got a friend who drove for swift that got canned 3wks ago over a overweight ticket in lowa that he got 6 months ago and was a trainer for them ! it don't make any since to me .

Blacksheep is offline Senior Board Member

When in doubt just go to a Cat scale, $10.00 is a lot cheaper than a overweight ticket.

Les2 is offline Rookie

Alot depends on the state your in. In ohio if you get (this isn't gonna be exactly right but you'll get the point) 3/4 overloads in a year they pull your license for 30 days, if you get busted again after that, they pull them for a year. Now I don't know if this only pertains to permit trucks or anything over 80k?

It also used to be listed as "misuse of equipment" on you MVR but I think they have since changed that, so get to many and good luck getting insurance.

rigidsporty is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
    When in doubt just go to a Cat scale, $10.00 is a lot cheaper than a overweight ticket.
    And for most company drivers scale tickets are reinbursed... all the more reason to scale it out.
    You can kiss the lower part of the back of the canister that is my body!

http://www.sassnet.com

movinit is offline Board Regular

A big overweight ticket that DOT likes to issue is being overweight on your steers for the "equipment rating". A lot of drivers have never looked at their steer tires to see what the weight rating for that particular tire is and the DOT know it.
    If you think you can or you think you can't, either way you are right!

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!

12. This ad will disappear if you login