User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My Pet Peeve For Newbie Drivers !

Not that I am whining here, (but then again!) I just have to get this one off my chest. For all you newbie drivers out there I have a request from an old school trucker.

SLOWER TRUCKS (Traffic) KEEP TO THE RIGHT

Now I know they dont teach this in Trucker School so let me explain it to you!

If you are cruising along at your governed speed of 62 or 65 mph and you want to pass the next truck thats going 62 or 65 mph, please look in your mirror before you pull out in to the hammer lane and start what we call the "drag race" between you and your competitor. If you see a big truck gaining on you that means we are going much faster than you are and would appreciate it if you would wait for two more seconds for us to pass you before you start your drag race, not all of us are governed to 65 mph!

Its not only rude to pull out in front of us, it starts many arguments out on the road ! I have seen many drivers get "in to it" at truck stops over the dumbest crap, and slow trucks are not immune to this new type of CB Ramboism!

So next time you want to pass, please make sure there is no one coming up on you that could easily pass you in a few seconds.
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Board Icon

This is a reply to another thread you put in the Women's section from a guy who won't do it. I do not flash my lights when a passing truck is clear except when it's bad weather. Waste of time usually for me because the passing truck continues on in the middle lane. It's also a bad idea because if a wreck happens and the other driver states that you flashed your lights to clear them then you can be charged. Cars packed up behind a truck will see the flash and think it's for them and try to shoot in there only to get run over by the truck ahead of them merging over because the truck they passed "cleared" them. Of late, doesn't matter whether I flash or not, trucks are coming on over on me before they are clear.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
It's also a bad idea because if a wreck happens and the other driver states that you flashed your lights to clear them then you can be charged.
you sure about the Mr Ford?? I know in PA if someone waves you to come out or it is clear and it cuzs a wreck they will not be charged. Cuz its he said she said type of thing. Plus you are the driver so it is your job to make sure it is clear.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Board Icon

Around here it's that way and remember, I said, "you can be charged" meaning it's possible but not a guarantee that you will be charged. I simply don't want that headache coming my way. You could also be charged for aggressive driving here in VA if you flash your lights and a cop interprets it as aggressive.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Board Regular

i think it would be common courtesy and as well common sence for the person in the truck that is goverened off to slow down and let the truck pass them. as that only makes sence then the both of the drivers can get where there going safely and efficiently. the ones that crack me up are the tailgaters if anyone ever had to slam on the breaks that driver and who ever's in the truck with them is in a world of hurt!!

Last edited by ground_pounder; 04-29-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Board Icon

Yep pounder, I do my best to watch my mirrors. I have a truck that can run 70-72 when I push it but I watch my mirrors to see who's coming, who's coming quick. A lot of times I will let them go and then pull out to pass. If I see they are far enough back I will hang it on out and pass. It's not very hard to gauge it but I am also certain that I can get on past the truck I'm trying to go around.

I will admit to getting up on a truck, it's the one's who want to park in the middle lane though. I've had some who simply won't get over unless you get up on their ICC bumper, they assume you are just content on riding behind them if you stay back at a safe distance. As soon as you pull up closer they seem to get the hint to move over. Do I like doing that, of course not but the only other options are to sit there and ride and hope they eventually move over or go past on the right............I personally do not like passing other trucks on the right.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Board Regular

id'e always be watching my mirrors and being aware of my surroundings and seeing who's creeping up on me and who's flying by. ofcourse im gonne slow down and let them pass. i'll have my speed limiter bumped up to 70-75 to just out of a situation if i need to. i have no problems with slowing down and letting the other person pass me. i will always make sure it's safe to pass before i hang it out there and signal to. talking about the ones that won't get over iv'e seen my share of them to they will just park it while the other driver is on there icc bumper and the tailgater will just sit on there icc bumper. hom come you don't like passing trucks on the right? i'm sure i'll have my moments of getting on someones bumper to but id'e slow down and try to pass and go on. nothing like as i'll admit i like the hammer lane myself i don't think i could sit behind a white carrage or the big blue screw going 62 mph when i wanna go i wanna go. nothing like having the radio up crusin on a nice day cruising along enjoying the veiw enjoying the ride . but theres nothing like seeing a long nosed pete all chromed out or a kw w900 hauling ass down the freeway.

Last edited by ground_pounder; 04-29-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Makes you wonder what they are thinking? I run a truck that is not governed, and I am paid my the mile, so the more I drive the more I make, the faster I get there the faster I can grab another load. Dont get me wrong, I usually run 70 to 75 and never get bothered by any cops, if its 65 mph I will run 70, five mph over the limit usually will keep you out of trouble with the law, but there are exceptions to the rule as we all know. Dont do the crime if your not willing to pay the fine!

That being said, I too cant stand the morons who run at 65 in the truck passing lane like they own the road. Drives me nuts! I have very little patients for slow trucks that wont move and I have been known to use the hammer lane when I need to, wether legal or not, I have not been pulled over for doing so. I certainly would piss me off if I got a ticket for passing a slow truck refusing to move over. If I did I would insist the cop pull over the other driver and issue a "Failure to Yeild" ticket. (yes they have them!) Especially when the posted speed is 70 mph!

Governed trucks in my opinion are dangerous trucks, you cant get out of harms way if you need to speed up, or get out of a bad situation. I will never ever drive a governed truck again, its just too dangerous, and you cant make as much money in one. the only ones saving money are the trucking companies.
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
Makes you wonder what they are thinking? I run a truck that is not governed, and I am paid my the mile, so the more I drive the more I make, the faster I get there the faster I can grab another load. Dont get me wrong, I usually run 70 to 75 and never get bothered by any cops, if its 65 mph I will run 70, five mph over the limit usually will keep you out of trouble with the law, but there are exceptions to the rule as we all know. Dont do the crime if your not willing to pay the fine!

That being said, I too cant stand the morons who run at 65 in the truck passing lane like they own the road. Drives me nuts! I have very little patients for slow trucks that wont move and I have been known to use the hammer lane when I need to, wether legal or not, I have not been pulled over for doing so. I certainly would piss me off if I got a ticket for passing a slow truck refusing to move over. If I did I would insist the cop pull over the other driver and issue a "Failure to Yeild" ticket. (yes they have them!) Especially when the posted speed is 70 mph!

Governed trucks in my opinion are dangerous trucks, you cant get out of harms way if you need to speed up, or get out of a bad situation. I will never ever drive a governed truck again, its just too dangerous, and you cant make as much money in one. the only ones saving money are the trucking companies.

Okay...see.....I have a problem with that manner of thinking.

In a "Truck".......Speed does not ever "get you out of harms way...or ....out of a bad situation". Usually it is SPEED that gets trucks into harms way and bad situations. I will push it along at 70 IF I need to, otherwise I have found that I can comfortably drive 65 mph all day every day. Usually I will see the same "Speed-ball" trucks passing me multiple times a day. They get to pass me because they stop at every two bit truck stop along the way, for whatever reason.

Lot's of times I have had trucks roll up on my "jersey barrier", see-sawing back and forth across it with their bright lights flashing, expecting me to move out of their way. That while I am in the right lane minding my own business.

Sure. Slow trucks need to stay in the right lane out on the open road.

BUT. In Metro areas, being in the right lane is, more often as not, dangerous for a truck that is "passing thru". I have no problem driving in the center lane or the third lane, if doing so keeps MY truck safe. Of course, more often than not, the cargo is more dangerous than the traffic. Staying out of that right lane allows a truck to avoid interaction with the merging traffic. It also allows the opportunity to avoid the problems caused by the traffic that exits from the far left.

You have to drive to the conditions. Plain and simple. You can't be intimidated by others and you damn sure shouldn't intentionally be intimidating.

I like to use my brakes and my clutch as seldom as possible, and I like to get thru Metro zoos as quickly as possible. But that doesn't mean I "High-ball" thru.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Senior Board Member

agree with all you say orangetxguy ,these drivers that think theyre the man, at the end of the day upset and cause more stress to all other road users.yeah a empty or half loaded rig can get past a loaded rig ,but just cause you not governed dosnt mean you you the best and safest steerer