Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considered an accident when applying?

Default Considered an accident when applying?

Due to being layed off on my local gig I am starting to apply to OTR companies since I am unable to find one local. My question is while OTR I had an incident and trying to figure out if it is an accident and wether or not I need to list it on the application.

I was driving to the drop yard and my trailer corner brought down a telephone line and a pickup behind me swerved to avoid the line and dented the front of his bumper. Police were called and got my information and let me go after I told my company all the information they wanted.

A year later, I havent heard anything, I dont know if it was considered an accident my fault or not, like hitting a deer.

I live in Maine, and checked my MVR from Maine and it doesnt list anything about that incident, completley clean. Now I just started thinking well crap, what if it wouldn't show up because it happened in North Carolina. Am I safe or do I have to pay 30.00 (rediculous amnt of $ imo) for the NC Driving Record or what else can I do?

Thanks.

Edit: Also anyone know how to get my free DAC report? Heard you can get one free if you are unemployed.
    Last edited by Drychtnath4120; 01-21-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Uturn2001 is offline Senior Board Member
    East Central IL between the corn and the beans

1. Contact DAC at 1-800-381-0645 and request a free copy of your employment file just to see if anything and what is listed there.

2. I would list it on your applications anyway, regardless if it shows up anywhere. Most applications want to know about all accidents and/or safety related incidents regardless of whose fault it was. Unless you were on a road that was specified as NO Trucks I would list it as being non-preventable. I would say something like: "Clipped low hanging telephone wire with trailer" on the application and then if asked about it during an interview you can explain the entire story.
    Finding the right trucking company is like finding the right person to marry. I really comes down to finding one whose BS you can put up with and who can put up wih yours.

Orangetxguy is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
    1. Contact DAC at 1-800-381-0645 and request a free copy of your employment file just to see if anything and what is listed there.

2. I would list it on your applications anyway, regardless if it shows up anywhere. Most applications want to know about all accidents and/or safety related incidents regardless of whose fault it was. Unless you were on a road that was specified as NO Trucks I would list it as being non-preventable. I would say something like: "Clipped low hanging telephone wire with trailer" on the application and then if asked about it during an interview you can explain the entire story.

:thumbsup: +1
    Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009

repete is offline Senior Board Member
    Somewhere between Rochester NY and Gaults' Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
    :thumbsup: +1
    X2

Remember the all importent rule-CYA at all costs!

Windwalker is offline Board Icon

What road were you on, on your way to the drop yard?

I have not seen it in writing, but I do know another driver that caught a telephone wire with the trailer on a state highway. No ticket was given, and the phone company, or the state had to pay for the damage because of a law that requires clearances to be at least 13' 6".

No, I am not clear on all the details, and it happened in KY. I was told it was a federal law, so you might check into that too. But, it depends on what road you were on at the time.
    Destroy the cities...
    and they will rebuild them.
    Destroy the farms...
    and grass will grow in the streets of the cities.

Destroy the economy of the blue-collar worker...
    and grass will grow in the executive offices.

The bill has come due.
    ( R E T I R E D , and glad of it)

BIG JEEP on 44's is offline Senior Board Member
    pod# 110 -Shared with a high risk in a red jumper.

Get a copy of your DAC/USIS file ,and report only what shows on that report when filling out applications ...only a fool would list things on an application to a future employer that don't exist on record with USIS .

chris1 is offline Senior Board Member

It would not be on DAC as you report only accidents not incidents.(as per your explanation)
    If the application asks about any accidents/incidents and the prospective employer gets back a fax/phone report and it's listed what do you think they would do?
    Most cases a false/omit on an application is no hire.(what else are you not telling)

Quote Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
    It would not be on DAC as you report only accidents not incidents.(as per your explanation)
    If the application asks about any accidents/incidents and the prospective employer gets back a fax/phone report and it's listed what do you think they would do?
    Most cases a false/omit on an application is no hire.(what else are you not telling)

Smoking crack is bad !...And an accident is an incident the only differences being were they DOT/NON DOT and were they preventable or not ...if it's a non DOT/non prevetable it's doubtfull it's on your USIS...this would be non dot ,but depending on the company it may be on your record as preventable ,but like I said get a current USIS report and there will be no question what's on your record ,and what need be reported to future employers

DOT reportable=injury and/or towing
    DOT non reportable = no injury and/or towing
    Either one can be reported as preventable or not
    Incident can be reported as an accident,usually if it involves damage to the vehicle(damage to another vehicle is always an accident)
    Damage to other property is usually termed an incident.

DOT reportable=injury and/or towing
    DOT non reportable = no injury and/or towing
    Either one can be reported as preventable or not
    Incident can be reported as an accident,usually if it involves damage to the vehicle(damage to another vehicle is always an accident)
    Damage to other property is usually termed an incident.

An incident is any occurance that takes place while on duty that involves company equipment in an accident such as hitting a yellow pole...fender,mirror, person , rolling the truck ,and so on. The only differences is the severity of the accident and who's at fault ...Have you ever seen a dac/usis file ? trust me accident/incident = the same thing ...now some accidents may involve tickets which now may involve you MVR , but this is still an incident .

In 35 years of hiring people i have seen quite a few DAC reports(and entered many)
    There is no place in DAC to enter an incident,only accident.
    The point i was making is a DAC report is almost always followed up with a written response in which the previous employer will list all incidents and accidents.
    If you would like i will give you all options that can be entered in DAC.

For Big Jeep (or anyone else) someone may want to move this
    This is the info that can be entered in DAC. It is only point and click,no written info can be entered.

Eligible for rehire yes
    yes but against co policy
    no
    review required

Reason for leaving discharged or company terminated lease
    agency lease terminated
    laid off or lease suspended
    leave of absence
    company/division sold or out of business
    repossession or lease default
    retired
    resigned/quit or driver terminated lease
    other

Status company driver
    lease operator or employee of lease operator
    o/o
    lease purchase
    trip leaser
    student/trainee
    student cdl permit
    casual driver
    other

Driver experience 10 options (local,regional,otr ect)

Equipment operated 20 options (van reefer flat ect)

Loads hauled 20 options (paper,meat ect)

Work record satisfactory
    superior
    outstanding
    excessive complaints
    cargo loss
    falsified application
    equipment loss
    late pu/del
    log violation
    no show
    failure to report accident
    quit under dispatch did not possess a load
    quit during training/orientation/probation
    company policy violation
    unsatisfactory safety record
    disconnected tracking device
    personal contact requested
    unauthorized equipment use
    " passenger
    " use of company funds
    other
    abandoment terminal with notice
    authorized location with notice
    terminal w/o notice
    unauthorized location w/o notice
    left with team driver

Violation of drug/alchohol yes
    no

# DOT recordable accident(s)
    # DOT non recordable accidents

If yes to accidents date
    city
    state
    injury
    fatality
    hazmat

Description of accident(s) 53 choices (backing,sideswipe,ect)

This is all the options to enter into DAC. Point and click only.
    It will not alow for conficting information to be entered.
    example: satisfactory work and log violation you would have to choose one or the other.

I hope this clears up what DAC can and can not do.

In 35 years of hiring people i have seen quite a few DAC reports(and entered many)
    There is no place in DAC to enter an incident,only accident.
    The point i was making is a DAC report is almost always followed up with a written response in which the previous employer will list all incidents and accidents.
    If you would like i will give you all options that can be entered in DAC.

If it's not listed with DAC/USIS by a company that uses the service then good luck getting a written response with more employee info than that company reported to USIS ...reason is that info that gets reported to USIS is info that the HR people feel they can report without legal issue ,so if it's not listed with DAC it's unlikely you'll be privilaged to it either .

I guess i need to bow down to your extensive knowledge and throw out all my written responses in the DQ files that have more detailed info than the DAC report. Obviously it can't exist(at least in your mind) Of course you encourage someone to lie/omit info.

I guess i need to bow down to your extensive knowledge and throw out all my written responses in the DQ files that have more detailed info than the DAC report. Obviously it can't exist(at least in your mind) Of course you encourage someone to lie/omit info.
    Well Chris we all know how recruiters tend to embellish the truth.

Sorry,i am not a recruiter nor have ever been(just my own company's)
    I do apoligize for the previous comment(no coffee yet)
    As for the original poster i'm quite sure his company informed their liability carrier of the incident(unless a total fly by nite operation) That would mean there is a record in his DQ file. I would hate to see that pop up at a later date by omiting to tell someone about it.

Sorry,i am not a recruiter nor have ever been(just my own company's)
    I do apoligize for the previous comment(no coffee yet)
    As for the original poster i'm quite sure his company informed their liability carrier of the incident(unless a total fly by nite operation) That would mean there is a record in his DQ file. I would hate to see that pop up at a later date by omiting to tell someone about it.

I drove for Werner I had 2 parking lot preventables in2.5 years 1 no damages but driver claimed $100 ...number 2 never happened but customer made the claim ,and inter company record reads undetermined ,but they sent it to dac anyway it 2 was no damages .

Now in that 2.5 years I hit 2 deer in the Rocky moutains ...Had a trailer door come loose when pulling from a dock ...the trailer was pre docked by hostler and there is only about 2ft between trailers so no pretrip on trailer could be made until pulled from dock ,however the securement holdig the doors open was missing on the drivers side ,and as I pulled out of the slot making a near 90 turn the unsecured door closed smacking the mirror fender of the daycabon my driver side this happened while in my blind spot ,and since I had no way to safely pretrip I had no way to know doorhad no latch ,And had a covenant driver rip my bumper/fender/some hood off at the boise, ID TA ...Now that's 4 non preventables with werner in 2.5 years ,and no perspective employer has DQ me for not listing them ...what's more important is I spoke to Werner management ,and was told if it's not a preventable listed with USIS/DAC then they will not release it to anyone else either .

While that may be a company policy at werner(never had the pleasure of a request to them)it is not always the case. I have a file full of written response that has far greater detail than the DAC report.(some are from very large carriers)
    The liability is getting to the point that you need greater detail to avoid a negligent hire in the event of a serious accident. A pattern of incidents,even though termed non preventable,can have grave repurcussions later.

Chris1 a recruiter, thats the funniest thing I have read in a year - I just about p1ssed all over my seat laughing at that. The only person I seen him recruit in 10+ years was a former stripper turned driver and I had already hired her. Hell we would get someone talked into coming to work, they would walk into the office and within 2 minutes Chris1 would run them off! Chris1 - "there's your truck, there's your trailer, here's what you get paid, there's the door. If you don't like it use the door."

As for written responses, I have been on that side of the fence as well and I have seen way more information on them than and DAC reports. Even back before the computer age and DAC was a fax form if you didn't follow the rules for reporting such as conflicting information they would reject it and fax it right back. And BTW Chris1 we did have a former Werner driver, remeber the guy who would get drunk in his motel room and not show up for 2 or 3 days at a time? He ran the gammut around there, us, Pat, Tielens, Mike and everyone else up there with reefers.

That wasn't recruiting for driving. Her 4,5 who knows what #ex husband shot her and then himself a few years ago. Remember the australian?

22. This ad will disappear if you login

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast